Welcome to the official NBA AR Basketball app – the official augmented reality experience of the National Basketball Association!
The NBA AR app offers two unique AR experiences: a pop-a-shot-type game and portals.
AR Portals: Step onto the court and behind the scenes of the NBA and some of its biggest events. Place the portal door in front of you, then walk inside to immerse yourself in a 360-degree video of your favorite NBA players and teams. New portals will appear in NBA AR every week!
AR Pop-a-Shot Game: Take your shots at an authentic NBA shot as you compete against the clock -- and your friends -- to move up the global Game Center leaderboard. Feeling ambitious? Step back beyond the arc for a three-pointer. Even turn on your audio to listen to the crowd cheer you on in the middle of the action.
Shooting really well? Playing in a really cool setting? Brag to your friends and family by saving and sharing a replay of your game on social media and other messaging platforms. Use the hashtag #NBAR.
Did you know you can also personalize the NBA AR app by selecting your favoriting team, such as the Golden State Warriors, Boston Celtics, LA Lakers, Houston Rockets, Toronto Raptors or more?
How to use AR Portal:
1. Select the portal experience of your choice
2. Scan your environment to set the ideal location of the portal door; you’ll be prompted to “Tap to Place” when you find the right spot
3. Walk through the portal door and explore all around you
4. Tap the back arrow or walk back out the portal door to leave the experience
How to play AR basketball game - Pop-a-Shot:
1. Select your favorite NBA team to personalize your NBA AR app experience
2. Scan your environment to set the ideal location of the floor and hoop (we recommend large open spaces, outdoors and well-lit areas)
3. Tap the screen to load the ball
4. Flick your wrist (don’t let go of the phone!) to shoot the ball. Practice to find the right arch and velocity of your flick
5. See if you can be the next Stephen Curry, Lebron James or James Harden.
What devices can I use the NBA AR app on?
The NBA AR app is available on iPhone 6s and above, as well as iPads, running at least iOS 11. This is the oldest iPhone device that ARKit is available.
Why am I having trouble finding a spot for the court or portal door?
Your device’s camera needs to find a flat surface to place either of these experiences. It’s why we recommend well-lit, large, open areas for an optimal experience.
Why is the 360 portal video blurry?
Portals work best when you’re connected to WiFi. We recommend this to experience the 360 video content at the highest quality.
Need additional support? Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Favorite team tune-in details now prominently display on the app home screen
• Portals have been updated with category filters – be sure to update to this newest version to continue to enjoy portals
• Push Notifications can now send you directly into the newest Portals
• Pause Pop-A-Shot games whenever you want
• Jump back up to the top of the Portal menu by tapping the NBA logo
Ratings and Reviews
Hate the shooting mechanics
Playing this app isn’t worth breaking my iPhone or iPad. Needs to have an alternative method for shooting— such as flicking a finger on the screen — instead of whipping the entire device toward the basket. Also, the position of the ball is blocking the view of the rim, so taking shots is always a blind effort. I won’t be playing again until these dumb design decisions are corrected.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback - we will definitely take this into consideration, as improving our fan's experience is extremely important to us.
App does not open - keeps asking for camera access.
Not sure how to add camera access, not an option in setting for this app. Will not open. Please fix.
Tried the recommendation, the nba app not showing in the privacy setting in camera.
Developer Response ,
We apologize for your continued frustration. Would you be able to tell us if you're on an iPhone 6s or above running iOS 11? Apple doesn't support ARKit on iPhone 6 and below, which could be the issue. If it is something we can fix, we certainly though will.
It doesn’t give a pop up to allow camera access and the app doesn’t show up in settings to give it access. The developers need to get the iOS popup for camera access. Totally useless app for now.
Developer Response ,
We apologize for your frustration. Would you be able to tell us if you're on an iPhone 6s or above running iOS 11? Apple doesn't support ARKit on iPhone 6 and below, which could be the issue. If it is something we can fix, we certainly though will.
- NBA Properties, Inc
- 493.4 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- ©2018 NBA Properties, Inc.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.