NBC Sports Live Extra
By NBC Universal, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Watch thousands of live sporting events that air on NBC, NBCSN and Golf Channel LIVE for FREE with NBC Sports Live Extra. Download now on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, and stream NHL Regular-Season and Stanley Cup Playoff games, PGA TOUR, U.S. Open (golf), Notre Dame Football, French Open (tennis), Premier League (soccer), Major League Soccer, Formula One, IndyCar and Triple Crown horse racing. Plus, relive the best moments from the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.
* Video on Demand: access video clips, preview upcoming events, and check out highlights from past events
* Online coverage schedule: browse the online schedule and set event reminders
* Live Events: watch marquee NBC Sports events LIVE!
* Full Event Replays: relive all the great moments with full event replays
* Push Notifications: receive reminder alerts for upcoming events
The vast majority of live streaming content on NBC Sports Live Extra will only be available to authenticated cable, satellite and telco customers via TV Everywhere. Further instructions are provided in the app settings section.
NBC Sports video is only accessible in the U.S. and certain U.S. territories. The application requires a 3G, 4G or WiFi data connection. Watching video over a 3G or 4G connection may affect your wireless data plan. iPads that support Retina display can experience HD quality video at up to 1080p. The video quality will adapt based on your data connection.
What's New in Version 3.24
Watch thousands of live sporting events that air on NBC, NBCSN and Golf Channel, including NHL Regular-Season and Stanley Cup Playoff games, PGA TOUR, U.S. Open (golf), Notre Dame Football, French Open (tennis), Premier League (soccer), Major League Soccer, Formula One, IndyCar and Triple Crown horse racing.
Solid content awful execution
The quality and amount of content NBC offers is great. It really is.
However, the app they've developed to deliver it is beta quality at best.
1) Crashes are frequent and idiosyncratic. It's actually difficult to even discern use cases to avoid to prevent crashes.
2) The video regularly falls out of sync, particularly when transitioning from advertising to the selected video stream and vice versa.
3) Oddly, unlike many other video streaming apps it can not be run in the background while using airplay.
4) Even more peculiar it will actually allow the playback device to suspend on idle while video is playing. It's irritating to touch the screen in order to keep playback from being preempted by the default idle standby settings.
It seems like most of these issues could be identified and resolved before release with even a bit of fundamental software testing. I appreciate having access to the content, but am truly shocked by the poor execution. Was this software even tested?
Great app, but no support for my provider (Time Warner Cable)
This app is nice for what it is, but certain providers (I'm talking to you Time Warner), need to get on the ball and allow their customers to use this service. Is it really that much to ask? Whilst the Sochi Olympics were going on, I was able to watch that content through my provider, but with any other NBC or NBCSN live event, I'm not able to watch it because Time Warner isn't listed as a provider! I don't get it! Why was my provider able to let me view Olympics coverage on the app, but not anything else? This is just ridiculous! If it weren't for this issue, then this app could be so much better. I'm sure other people who have Time Warner as their provider are just as frustrated as I am.
NBC Live Extra - what happened!
I was pretty impressed with the app during the Olympics until NBC decided to update it! Now I can't even watch any of the full event replays that I missed during the games. I keep getting a message telling me I don't have the right subscription and to contact my cable provider. Meanwhile, app works fine for all other NBC sports! I contacted Comcast yesterday, no word back yet, maybe NBC took all the content off their servers already (can't get to on line either, same dim error message). And of course, mo way to contact NBC, how nice it must be to remain autonomous!
- Category: Sports
- Updated: Feb 26, 2014
- Version: 3.24
- Size: 70.0 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Seller: NBC Universal, Inc.
- © 2014 NBCUniversal Media, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.