Immerse yourself in sport’s ultimate setting at the 2018 Winter Olympics! Experience the world’s best athletes in a whole new way, as they compete in PyeongChang, South Korea, using virtual reality. Watch VR programming available with smartphones and compatible VR headsets.
Access the virtual reality content in the NBC Sports VR app and be transported to iconic venues for an unprecedented view of the Opening Ceremony, and immersive Winter Olympic sports experiences.
Watch The Olympic Games in sport’s ultimate setting. VR content is available via the NBC Sports VR app after authenticating through your pay TV provider.
Ratings and Reviews
From another Dev’s Perspective
*Disclaimer: I’m not an employee of NBC nor it’s subsidiaries.
With not many good options to choose from with VR for the iPhone, I happily downloaded NBC’s Sports app for the Olympics in VR. For those curious to what phone and headset, I used my iPhone 7 Plus with the MergeVR Headset, and I currently work as a Unity mobile VR developer.
After fumbling around with NBC’s very haphazard authentication system, I finally got it to recognize my national television provider.
First impressions are very promising. Clean user interfaces greet users to various experiences. Although it gets tedious to select videos, the videos themselves are of decent/good quality. My absolutely favorite part was watching a taping of the Opening Ceremony, which has me using my headset for a record amount of time until my battery nearly ran out.
There were some recommendations I would make going forward:
1) Rigorously test any system before release that may erroneously prevent/needlessly delay valid users from accessing premium VR experiences.
2) Ensure the user has access to every option in VR, without needlessly having to remove the headset to access the next part. The user ought to only have to put on the headset once.
3) Consider better camera placement for the Snowboarding and Sled Events that had better coverage than a straight side shot. Being in VR doesn’t have to require neck craning and whiplash from trying to observe the competitions.
I hope these issues are resolved in a few years, as there may be great opportunities for VR in the next Olympic Games.
I appreciate NBC coming out with a VR. I really enjoyed using it during The Olympics, and was looking forward to using it during the Paralympics. Unfortunately, The Paralympics are not in VR, which is too bad because it would provide a whole new perspective to these incredible athletes.
The unlocked videos are very grainy, not worth watching and you need to keep turning to keep same action in view. Could use better controls
How about using the iOS TV provider setting?
Developer Response ,
Sorry you're having trouble. Please email email@example.com for help.
- OLYMPIC BROADCASTING SERVICES SL
- 71.5 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- ©2018 NBC Universal
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.