nciku Chinese Dictionary
By Beijing DFHL Company
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The nciku Chinese dictionary lets you look up Chinese and English words to see translations, pinyin, examples and stroke order animations, as well as listen to audio pronunciations of words and examples.
* Over 163,000 entries, including 76,000 Chinese and 77,000 English words and phrases. Over 35,000 of our Chinese definitions for English words also have matching English definitions, to help you see which translation corresponds to which meaning of a word. If the word you're looking for isn't in our app, you can connect to nciku.com's online database of over 3 million entries.
* Search for an English or Chinese word, its meaning or (for Chinese words) its pinyin, or do an example search to find all examples containing that word. Or use our new Sentence Mode to paste a Chinese or English sentence then tap on a word to see its meaning.
* Native-speaker audio recordings for over 50,000 Chinese and 25,000 English entries, and TTS recordings of all Chinese and English examples and their pronunciations [audio pronunciation requires internet connection]
* Stroke order animations and definitions for all Chinese characters in a word, or links to longer words containing a single character.
* Use the nciku Handwriting tool to draw Chinese characters you don’t recognize with your finger [needs an internet connection]
* Use flashcards and multiple-choice quizzes to test yourself on words you've looked up or vocabulary from the HSK and CET exams.
* Offline application: except for the handwriting and audio pronunciation as noted above, the app doesn't require an internet connection to use
* Compatible with iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad devices
* Any feedback please send to email@example.com
What's New in Version 3.4
Fixed some bugs which were added in the previous upgrade:
- Traditional Chinese searches now work again
- Fixed problems with the keyboard and handwriting input on the iPad
- Also added support for the iPhone 5 screen
Version 3.4 added Chinese and English OCR, letting you look up Chinese text using your camera or saved photos
Very Strong App
I have been studying Mandarin for several years, in the US and abroad. Nciku is one of the most useful applications/websites I know of, and I have an entire folder on my phone of Chinese dictionaries. The endless examples are especially helpful and it is a very easy-to-use app overall. The only downside is the need for an internet connection. Well worth the money, though.
i want My money back
This paid app is very expensive. I bought it only because I need example sentence when I'm studying and have to access to internet. This is very important in understanding Chinese. However it only gives you one example sentence, whereas online gives you multiple pages. I want my money back. And in the future, be realistic with the amount of sentences you give as examples. This app is nothing as it describes in the description. Very disappointed and unhappy.
Server Always Down
The handwriting recognition is the main reason that I paid for the app. It only works when you are online and connected to the nciku server. Unfortunately, nciku's server has been down half the time when I have tried to use the app. Nciku needs to make the feature available offline. Until then, two stars is generous.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jan 10, 2013
- Version: 3.4
- Size: 139 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Beijing DFHL Company
- © 2011 nciku
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.