Near Lock - Lock & Unlock your Mac automatically
By Filip Duvnjak
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Use your iPhone to lock and unlock your Mac automatically. When you walk away from your Mac, it will be automatically locked. Once you approach your workplace, Near Lock will unlock your Mac.
Unlock your Mac with your fingerprint (Touch ID), double knock, Apple Watch, notification widget or use the iPhone 3D touch.
Try it out for FREE
To use Near Lock download the Mac application: www.nearlock.me
• locking and unlocking your Mac automatically - depends on the distance between your iPhone and your Mac
• easily set the distance on which your Mac should be locked or unlocked
• for additional security use your fingerprint (Touch ID), double knock or Apple Watch for each Mac login authorization
• manually lock and unlock your Mac with your iPhone
• knock twice on your iPhone for a faster Mac login.
• take a picture and receive a notification when anyone tries to login into your Mac.
• track and see all recent Mac login and logout times.
• choose between sleep (hibernate) and screensaver when locking your Mac
• receive notification when your Mac is locked or unlocked
• unlock your Mac directly with the iPhone's interactive notifications - swipe left on received notifications
• control your Mac through the iPhone Notification Center Widget - quickly lock and unlock your Mac from anywhere on your iOS device
• control your audio: pause music when you log out, play when you login - works with Spotify, QuickTime, VLC, iTunes
• to save your battery Near Lock uses Low Energy Bluetooth 4.0 for the communication between your devices
• control Near Lock from your iOS device or your Mac's menu bar
• make locking and unlocking your Mac faster with 3D Touch - only iPhone 6S or newer
• use your iPhone to control multiple Macs
• find my iPhone feature - in case your iPhone is lost you can now ping it from your Mac
• authorize Mac tasks (such as installing new software) with Touch ID or by knocking on your iPhone
Your credentials and data are secured and never leave your devices - AES encryption. For additional protection, the bluetooth communication channel is internally encrypted.
Near Lock requires a Mac that is running Mavericks or later. Your Mac also needs to support the latest Bluetooth LE technology.
The following Macs support Bluetooth LE:
• iMac late 2012 or newer
• MacBook Air 2011 or newer
• MacBook Pro 2012 or newer
• Mac mini 2011 or newer
• Mac Pro late 2013 or newer
Thanks to all the Near Lock users for the great feedback and suggestions!
Near Lock won second place at the "Show Your App Award" in Munich
If you enjoy using Near Lock, please take a moment and leave an honest review: it really helps.
Near Lock - SECURITY MADE SIMPLE
What's New in Version 3.6
Please update Near Lock on your Mac to use the latest features.
Detect failed login attempts into your Mac
- receive an iPhone notification every time a wrong password in inserted into your Mac
- take a photo on your Mac when a false password is inserted
- generate and share a Near Lock Mugshot picture
Unlock Mac with Knock (Double knock)
- login into your Mac by double knocking on your iPhone:
- unlock with double knock when you approach your Mac
- unlock with double knock when password field appears on sleep screen
- use knock to authorize Mac request: such as installing new software
Track login times
- you can now see all the login logout information
- track how users login into your Mac: manually, with password, using Near Lock, Apple watch
- a nice user interface of the Mac login tracking information
Authorization requests settings
- choose how you want to authorize the Mac authorization request: TouchID, knock, yes - no, none
Near Lock today widget settings
- set up today widget restrictions in the iPhone settings
Added a new on-boarding Near Lock tutorial
- a short, fun and simple tutorial about what Near Lock is about
- a list of the most interesting features
- this tutorial can be found on the Welcome screen
- improved the distance calculation
- improved the login, logout speed
- improving the bluetooth connection login
- improving the error messages for a clearer understanding of possible problems
- apple watch speed improvements
- overall improvements and speed
Authorise user using Near Lock
- easily authenticate user with Near Lock when installing new software
Bug fixes and improvements
- updating the login tracker file location
- updating the login logic after unlocking Mac with Near Lock
- updating the Near Lock Mac icon
- update logic bug fix
- Chinese language crash fix
- option to disable sound notifications
- improving the Near Lock error wizard
- adding additional Near Lock settings
- adding an option to disable sound on lock/unlock
- overall UX improvements
- adding Dutch - thank you Tim!
- improving the current translations
Bluetooth connection improvements
- BLE stability enhancements
- improved the proximity calculation
- simulations control of all your Macs at the same time
Ping your iPhone
- in case you can not find your iPhone you can use the new ping feature from your Macs
Login Logout tracking
- you can now track when your Mac has been locked or unlocked
- you will also get the login session time
- using the swipe menu you can lock and unlock your Mac by swiping
- you can now lock and unlock you Mac with 3D Touch
- you can lock and unlock all of your Mac's at the same time using 3Dtouch
- authorize user login with your fingerprint
- user your fingerprint for more security
Near Lock languages:
- Portuguese (Portugal and Brazil)
- Chinese (Simplified and Traditional)
Near Lock - SECURITY MADE SIMPLE
Reliable and extremely useful
I've been testing the latest version for about a week now (full disclosure: also beta testing) and I'm very impressed. This app will be especially useful for those without an Apple Watch and/or not upgrading to Sierra at which time Apple will be adding similar functionality through the watch. I've also tested a well-known competing product (in fairness, one with additional features) and I'm finding Near Lock to be very reliable and the Mac component more stable. I would like it if there was even less battery drain over Bluetooth LE, but that may simply be a limitation of the hardware.
Much like owning an Apple Watch, once you start using this, it feels like something is missing when you don't have it. Recommended.
Very useful, until it wasn't.
I've been using Near Lock for about a week, and six of seven days went very smoothly. Near Lock made it possible for me to have a very long high-entropy password without having to type it in all the time.
Except, today, it started typing my password in twice, which meant that after logging me in, with no prompting from me, Near Lock would type and submit my password a second time into whatever app I had open on my desktop. One time, it was Slack. Another time, it was Google. Now, Google has my former password.
I'm reluctant to leave such a low review, because this app has been useful. However, for people needing security and looking for convenience, be aware that the convenience comes at the cost of easily exposing a sensitive password by accident.
It's wonderful that I can walk away and hear the computer lock itself. When I return, my screens light up on their own. As others have said, it does lose connectivity occasionally. However, I have only experienced this when returning to the locked computer. It has yet to fail to lock itself.
Something to keep in mind, if you wear your phone on your belt on the opposite side of your body, your body mass increases the perceived distance of the phone. Therefore, if you experience accidental locking, put your phone on your desk, or move your belt pouch.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Jun 14, 2016
- Version: 3.6
- Size: 22.3 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Filip Duvnjak
- © 2014 Filip Duvnjak
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Pro Mode$3.99