By The Neat Company
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Neat app is free for NeatCloud® subscribers.
Neat is a Digital Filing System that helps you transform, organize, and access your important information across all the devices you use.
With the Neat app, you can manage your important files anywhere, anytime. You can even use the camera on your iPhone or iPad to scan in receipts, business cards, and other documents.
Key Features of the Neat app:
• Scan receipts, business cards, and any other document using your iPhone or iPad camera
• Intelligent Text Recognition reads and extracts key information, such as names and addresses from business cards and tax and totals from receipts
• Edit data on any Neat file – even those you scanned at home
• Create expense reports right from your phone or tablet
• Sync your Neat files across all of your devices and manage them anywhere – it’s like having your filing cabinet in your pocket
• Share files and folders with others, and comment back and forth on shared items
• Receive notifications when your mobile scans have been processed and are ready to view – on your desktop, via the web, or right on your device
• Use keyword search to find anything – fast
• One tap to call or email your Neat contacts
Key Features of the Neat Digital Filing System:
• Transform receipts, business cards, and other documents into organized digital information you can use
• Easily import e-receipts, PDFs, and images directly from your email or computer
• Intelligent Text Recognition technology reads and extracts key information from business cards and receipts, and makes every word of every document keyword searchable
• Share files and folders with whomever you choose
• Quickly create expense reports and tax reports, file FSA claims, and track expenses
• Sync contacts to your Mac Address Book or Outlook
• Export data to Excel, Quicken, Quickbooks, CSV, and more
What's New in Version 2.1.15
- Added support for verification of invoices (requires Business plan).
- Minor bug fixes and other improvements.
Camera doesn’t work in iOS 11.
Cannot get camera to work in iOS 11 after update.
Scanning is not working. App does not seem up to date for modern phones or new OS. Very disappointing.
Not so neat anymore...
We're replacing our 5-star review from four years ago with a 2-star review. Here's why... We've used Neat software since the day their product was first announced. It's generally been a really good product over the years. The mobile app and cloud service were helpful additions. However, in May of 2016 they made a horrible change to their desktop software for Apple Mac. It was completely rewritten. It was no longer a native Apple App but written in something called Helium App Shell. So it doesn't show up in your list of Applications like all your other Mac programs (or like the old version of Neat), but instead there's a shortcut icon that points to an executable program buried deep in a folder structure. In summary, clunky, slow, and barely unusable. We VERY DISAPPOINTEDLY had to stop using Neat, and there was no alternative product so we started hand scanning receipts on a flatbed to text readable PDF files. Currently (as of 16 Sep 2017), they still haven't corrected the problems from over a year ago. Super disappointing. The mobile app is just a tool to get things into the cloud so it's ultimately only as useful as their desktop software. The web access isn't much better. It's very simplistic and limited compared to what their full desktop version used to be. For example, you can't select a collection of scanned items and download them as a batch. Want to get thousands of receipts from their cloud onto your computer? You'll need to do it one item at a time. The good news is that we're still able to use the old version of the software to read our old Neat library files AND synchronize with the Neat Cloud. So, that's why we're giving 2 stars instead of 1 star. Their old software from years ago is still much better than the new one even after they've had over a year to improve things. Even so, we’re not going to have our business rely on a legacy program that could at any time stop working with an Apple macOS update or for some other reason. The app is essentially useless without a full-featured rock solid web and/or desktop version. With regard to the iOS app, when you scan receipts in, the screen will show “Mobile - Receipt Processing… this make take a few minutes.” That message will stay there for many minutes — much longer than you’d expect to upload a simple scan. You can’t view the item while it’s in this state. The screen doesn’t seem to automatically refresh to show you when the receipt is finally uploaded. It will still say “Processing” and be inaccessible on the mobile device even after it’s available in the desktop or web versions. Only when you pull down and manually refresh multiple times will you eventually see the correct status and be able to view the receipt. This is with about 70 Mbps upload speeds. It’s even slower with a cellular connection. Sometimes after you’ve scanned you'll be told the scan failed. Failed scans aren’t viewable, so you can’t quickly tell which receipts scanned properly and which didn’t. They should really leave a native photo of the receipt in the phone instantaneously, then work on uploading in the background. Lots of design and usage problems. I could go on and on. I’ve written articles about this and told the company. Nothing has been done. I’ve worked with their customer service, and have over 30 years of top-tier tech support experience on my own, so, no, these aren’t just anecdotal user errors that have an easy fix. If you’re someone from the company reading this review, with an interest in actually improving the product, feel free to contact me. You can easily find me by looking up my username. I’d be happy to assist in getting things back on track. It would be nice to some day give your product a 5-star review again.