Negotiation Planner: Simple and Effective Tools for Negotiation Success
By Valentin Gui
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Negotiation Planner is designed to dramatically improve your negotiation results through effective planning. Research shows that most negotiators do not plan properly to achieve negotiation success. The free, simple tools in Negotiation Planner enable you to gain advantage over unprepared negotiators. Links to free online University of Michigan videos** provide additional information on how to improve your negotiation skills.
The key tool for negotiating success is the Negotiation Planning Checklist. A completed checklist shows you how to use this powerful tool. Use the Negotiation Planning Checklist before every negotiation to quickly:
• complete a negotiation analysis
• understand your best alternative—your BATNA
• focus on results that benefit you and the other side
• clarify your reservation price, target price and stretch goal
• develop your “first price” strategy
OTHER FREE PLANNING TOOLS
Other easy-to-use tools in Negotiation Planner enable you to:
• assess your negotiating style
• increase your power
• select psychological tools for use during your negotiation
• decide how to handle ethical questions
• evaluate your results to improve your negotiation skills
Negotiation Planner includes links to free videos from an online course offered by the University of Michigan and Coursera, “Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills.” The course is taught by George Siedel, the award-winning professor at the University of Michigan who developed Negotiation Planner. Over 59,000 learners from 198 countries joined the first offering of the course. They ranged from CEOs to inexperienced negotiators. The course includes a negotiation exercise that allows you to test your skills and obtain feedback. Here are some learner comments about the free videos:
• Felt just like watching "Breaking Bad." Couldn't wait for the next video.
• [A] master class in negotiation, suitable for beginner and advanced students alike. I have privately studied negotiation skills for 2 years now and gained invaluable new insights from Prof.Siedel's course….
• Just closed 2.5 M deal based on learning that you provide @ coursera. Great feeling and great knowledge. Thank you so much.
• It has been one of the few classes that completely changed my perception of the world.
• I've worked and continue to work with famous politicians, officials and prominent names. Yet you are a role model for me when it comes to negotiation.
• You could not imagine how thankful I am. This is for me pretty much like a miracle. Has been one of the best experiences in my life.
• OMG I do not believe this!! Dr. Siedel you are excellent educator. I never thought that I could learn so much in a few weeks. It was an enlightening opportunity. I must confess that you're one of the best professors that I've ever had. Your lessons and illustrations were so easy to understand and internalize and it was so informative at the same time that I enjoyed every video.
• Even with my seasoned experience, I still found many matters presented in your Negotiation course to be eye-opening. The anecdotes are fascinating, the technical calculations are intellectually rigorous, and the psychological traps and tools are invaluable! Thank you so much, Professor Siedel, for sharing with me and thousands of others students all other the world your wealth of knowledge, time, and efforts. I feel much more confident about my negotiating ability.
• I went into the course thinking I knew it all about negotiations. Wow was I wrong!! What a great course.
• The quality of your lectures and the mode of teaching were flawless.... Thank you for re-enforcing my trust and belief in all the great teachers in this world.