By Hydrogen Bond
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Netflix Remote allows you to control Netflix or Youtube movies playing in a browser on either a Mac or a Windows machine from your iPhone or iPod over WiFi. Some other players, such as Vimeo work with it as well. On a Mac, it also enables use of Apple IR remote to control Netflix. The app features a trackpad for controlling your mouse remotely. Setting up the app requires basic understanding of home networking. If the device on which you watch Netflix does not have an Intel or AMD processor or does not run a Mac OS X or a Windows operating system, this app will not work for you. For example, if you want to watch Netflix on an iPad, Android tablet, Windows Surface RT, Xbox, Wii console, or Linux this remote will not work. Please visit the app support page to read detailed set up instructions and to download the Netflix Controller that is required for the Netflix Remote app to communicate with Netflix running on your computer. Netflix player was not designed to be remotely controlled, so this app is a hack in a way, thus setting it up is not a no-brainer.
QUICK TIPS FOR MOST COMMON PROBLEMS:
- Make sure you have the computer on which you watch Netflix and your iPhone connected to the same wireless router.
- If the app used to work and then stopped, check to see if IP address of the computer running Netflix changed.
- Make sure you have the Netflix Controller running on your computer in addition to the Netflix Remote app running on your iPhone (can be downloaded from the support page).
- Click inside Netflix movie window to make it the active window.
- Volume control works by tapping on it multiple times instead of tap and hold. It controls the volume of the Netflix or Youtube player only (that volume icon that you see inside the player window).
- Trackpad: long press does right-click; two-finger pan does drag.
- Repeated short or long taps gradually increase Forward/Rewind speed, double taps stop playback and cause Forward/Rewind in 10sec steps.
- If you need keyboard functionality - both Mac and Windows come with on-screen keyboard applications which can be used with the Netflix Remote's trackpad.
What's New in Version 1.5
Improved Forward and Rewind behaviour. Repeated short or long taps gradually increase Forward/Rewind speed, double taps stop playback and cause Forward/Rewind in 10sec steps. Netflix Controller update is not required.
Oh no! I have to install something on my computer in addition to my phone in order to use my phone as a remote because I'm lazy?! What is the world coming to when you have to install stuff in two places?! I jest! To boot, 4 stars for the lack of support. When i installed the app on my phone and PC, it worked for a maximum of 20 seconds, then the connection had to be reestablished - click ( i ) then done. However, after a reboot of my ip4 5.1 os, I could then start the app on my laptop and open it on my phone and presto! It didn't work... Psych! It works like a charm now. No timeout! Yay!... Whats that you? I can put the netflix controller in my "startup folder" <-- (search) on my computer and it will automatically load when I login to my computer? Well that's the bees knees!
Great app don't be deceived!
So it took about 5 mins total to set it up and after that it was a breeze!! Make sure you go to the app support page on your computer and download the remote file for your computer(super small file) and then your done !! If its not working most likely you need to just click on the running video to control it!! Any other FAQs just go to the support page!!!!! Just don't let the negative reviews deter you!! I used this on my crappy church computer so chances are it will work for you!!!! All I would say for the editors is to make it a little bit simpler and more features but ya AWSOME!!
Inconvenient to get working, but great app!
The app requires you to download a software to your computer. It's extremely inconvenient, but there is no other way to make this work. Once I managed to get the remote to work, it made the lazy kid in me EXTREMELY happy! Wonderful app!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Apr 05, 2013
- Version: 1.5
- Size: 1.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Alexander Likholyot
- © Copyright 2013 Hydrogen Bond
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.