By Paul Borghese
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
******Top 10 iTunes "What's Hot" Utilities Category - December 2010 & January 2011******
The Networking Toolkit offers three tools:
1) a Subnet Calculator
2) a Network Calculator
3) a Wildcard Mask Calculator
Additional tools are in development for future updates. We invite you to make suggestions for tools on our website ArtisanNetworking.com/toolkit.
***** SUBNET CALCULATOR*****
The Subnet Calculator is designed to provide subnet information for a given IP address and subnet mask. You may use the calculator to answer the following questions:
• What is the subnet class (A, B, or C)
• Is the address a valid host address
• What is the subnet mask in slash and dotted decimal notation
• What is the valid host range, network, and broadcast address
As you change the subnet mask, the information is updated to reflect the change. Unlike other calculators, this app can handle RFC 3021 and /32 subnets.
***** NETWORK CALCULATOR*****
The Network Calculator derives a subnet mask from a given address based upon the number of networks or hosts/network required. Once the subnet mask is selected, the individual subnets may be displayed and forwarded via e-mail. The calculator may be operated so as to include or exclude the zero subnet.
This tool may be used to solve the following types of problems:
• Given the network 172.16.0.0/22, subnet the network to create 20 networks with as many hosts/network. List the networks and hosts associated with each network.
• How many networks may be created from 172.16.0.0/22 which allows for each network to contain a minimum of 200 hosts.
***** WILDCARD MASK CALCULATOR*****
Derive contiguous wildcard mask statements such as used in Cisco access lists. Pick an IP address which falls in the range of addresses you are trying to match and move the slider to find the appropriate mask.
The app is invaluable for people studying for networking certifications such as the CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, CCDP, CCDE, CCIE, the Microsoft MCSE, and the various Juniper certifications.
The 4.0 release contained an Easter Egg Contest. The release was on April F00Ls Day. If you convert 0xF00 to decimal and realize L is an upside down 7 you will calculate the number 15 0 0 7. Put that number in the Wildcard Mask Calculator and move the slider until the Easter Egg appears.
4.1 contains another contest. Can you find it?
What's New in Version 4.1
• NEW EASTER EGG CONTEST (See below)
• It is no longer necessary to complete the IP address entry before resigning the keyboard. In the past once you started editing the IP address you were required to type a valid IP address before being allowed further interaction with the program.
• Additional help when viewing subnets under the Network Calculator
• The program conforms to the new Apple standard of 64 bit binaries. You can now calculate your 32 bit subnets in full 64 bits :-). A 32 bit binary is included for backwards compatibility with older devices.
If you appreciate this app, please consider giving it 5 stars in the App Store. If you have already wrote a review, thank you. Please consider updating it for this release.
EASTER EGG CONTENT
A new Easter Egg was included in the program. The first person to find this Easter Egg will win an iTunes $15 gift card.
Since last time there were a number of people who were looking for literal pictures of eggs in the program, before you search please review the definition from Wikipedia of an Easter Egg:
"An Easter egg is an intentional inside joke, hidden message, or feature in a work such as a computer program, video game, movie, book, or crossword puzzle."
Review the "What's New" information for release 4.02 to understand how the first Easter Egg was hidden.
Only one winner. Void where prohibited.
EASTER EGG HINT:
"People who have obtained this certification really know how to subnet"
Finally, it is getting more difficult to write for iOS 5. If you would like me to continue to support the older Apple devices (i.e. iPad 1, iPhone 3GS,4 etc.) please contact me using the support URL in the iTunes store or in the app under the information button. Unless I receive interest in the older devices, future releases will only support iOS 7.0 and above.
Very nice app
Great app for computing subnet and network information when allocating new IP addresses, planning new server installs within a limited IP address range. You can even use this to plan for a home network if you need to put a couple servers in your DMZ and your ISP
gave you 1 static externally visible IP address that you want to use for, say a couple of servers.
Best subnet calculator I've used
Has more functionality beyond just calculating subnets. It will list full ranges of addresses and intuitively indicates whether an address is a broadcast or ID. Really fantastic app with a solid interface! Great work!
Great tool for calculating subnets. This comes in extremely handy when working with cloud customers that have multiple subnets and you need to calculate out for creating new ones.