New File Menu allows you to create new files quickly via the Finder context menu.
New File Menu is simply the coolest way to create a new file on the Mac OS X platform, you can right click in any Finder window to create a new file! You can even right click on the desktop to create your files!
Important: New File Menu is implemented as a Finder extension, you need to enable "New File Menu Extension" in "System Preferences » Extensions" to make the context menu appear.
- Right click in any Finder window to create a new file
- Over 30 built-in file templates (please enable the templates you need in the New File Menu Preferences)
- Custom templates are supported, New File Menu is able to create virtually any kind of document
- Path extension is appended automatically
- A sound is played on file creation finish
- The newly created file is revealed in Finder
- You can chose to open the newly created file automatically by enabling the "Open file on creation finish" option in the preferences
* Built-in File Types
- Plain text document
- Rich text document
- MS Office documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- iWork '08 / iWork '09 (Pages, Numbers, Keynote)
- OpenOffice / LibreOffice documents (Text, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Drawing)
- Scripts (Shell, Python, Perl, Ruby, etc.)
- Many other kinds of documents
Q: I can't find the context menu to create a new file?
A: Please make sure that you've enabled "New File Menu Extension" in "System Preferences » Extensions", and make sure that you've added the specific location to New File Menu preferences.
If the problem persists, please disable "New File Menu Extension" in "System Preferences » Extensions" and then enable it again. The last resort is to relaunch Finder or restart your computer.
Q: There is no file templates available, what can I do?
A: Please remove the "~/Library/Group Containers/85P8ZUTQL8.net.langui.NewFileMenu/Templates" folder and relaunch New File Menu, then the folder should be recreated. (Do remember to backup any important data in the folder before removing it.)
Q: Is it possible to add the context menu to mounted volumes?
A: Yes. You need to add the volumes to New File Menu preferences first.
Q: How to hide New File Menu from the Dock?
A: Please simply quit New File Menu, the context menu extension will continue to work.
Q: Is it possible to make the save panel appear faster?
A: Please enable the "Keep the helper app running in the background" option in the New File Menu preferences, so that the app launching process is skipped.
Should you have any further questions, please visit https://langui.net/new-file-menu/ and leave a message.
• Fix compatibility issue for external drives (USB)
Ratings and Reviews
This is a life changer!
I love my Mac, but how on earth they could have come this far and not added this incredibly useful feature is beyond me. If I’m in a folder reviewing documents and decide I need to take some notes or write a letter, I don’t want to open Word and then click around trying to save it in the correct subfolder when I already have it open right there! Makes life so much easier. Thank you!
And it’s super easy to install and lets you customize the apps and the order they appear in the menu. Amazing!
Even more useful than I expected… (one wishlist item)
This allows me to be one click away from creating an RTF file called “Notes” in any folder and automatically opening it for editing… Exactly what I wanted and easier than having to maintain an automator script. The only feature I wouldl like to request would be to allow us to use the folder name of the current folder within the template prefix name… So my new file could default to the name: “TaxesNotes” within the “Taxes” folder.
What a great utility - especially for people coming from Windows!
As a former windows user, one UI element in MacOS I've missed is the ability to right click in a folder and create a new file.
This small utility adds this ability to MacOS, and features all the customization and options you could ever need!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.