One of greatest kids books of all time!
An interactive animated poetry storybook with hilarious poems you bring to life - for children and adults too!
• Time named The New Kid on the Block as one of the greatest 100 children's books ever!
• Winner of a MOM'S CHOICE Gold Award
• Winner of a PARENTS’ CHOICE Gold Honor Award
• Winner of the EDITOR'S CHOICE AWARD from Children's Technology Review
• An interactive animated storybook of poems originally published by the award-winning Living Books
With The New Kid on the Block, a very unique interactive poetry book, children are encouraged to learn the meaning of words by exploring poems. They'll meet an ugly dog, a leaking baby and the exploding Bloders. They giggle at the antics of a chorus line of 40 dancing bananas and laugh as fearless Tillie eats her fiery chilli. And much more!
In this irresistible collection of 18 hilarious poems, Jack Prelutsky displays an unerring instinct for subjects that appeal to children (of all ages). In this collection are poems touched by magic and brought to life with characters that talk and move and sing and dance. Wonderful worlds, begging to be explored open up at each turn of the page. With sound effects, music, humor and lots of animations, it's a whole new learning experience.
Reading skills grow through word recognition. Words, phrases and lines can be highlighted individually; they are then read aloud, and animations convey their meaning.
• Eighteen poems, with 59 fully animated pages
• Virtually every word on each page comes to life when tapped
• Words, phrases and lines can be highlighted individually; they are then read aloud, and animations convey their meaning
• Words are "active" for extended word play and language learning - tap on any word to hear it spoken
• Move between pages with swipe or with scrolling page navigation
• Two modes: "Read to Me" and the fully interactive "Let Me Play"
• Multiple settings to further customize the App for your child's reading experience
• Parental tips to help you get the most out of this Wanderful interactive storybook
• A 31 page overview of the Classroom Activities and a free preview of The New Kid on the Block Classroom Activities guide PDF documents are included.
• The full 45 page New Kid on the Block Classroom Activities guide PDF document is available as an in-app purchase. The Classroom Activities for The New Kid on the Block have been created to help develop connections between this interactive storybook and the ongoing activities in your classroom. You will find there the activity plans, reproducibles, extensions, a thematic unit, annotated bibliography, and additional teaching resources, as well as technical, practical, and curricular support. In addition, the activities align strongly with the Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts and Mathematics.
Jack Prelutsky has been delighting children for years with his poems, and while Jack has published over 1,000 poems in about 70 volumes, some of his most loved verses are to be found in The New Kid on the Block and he himself has read four of the selections in this App. Since the publication of The New Kid, Jack's imagination has delved into the realm of dragons, scrambled animals, outer space, and even an "ordinary" day at school.
Wanderful creates engaging interactive storybooks for children that are educational, fun, and above all safe and appropriate. This app:
• does not collect any information
• does not contain ads
• contains in-app purchases and does allow you to purchase other Wanderful storybooks
• has active links to websites or social network from pages targeted at parents
• uses analytics to improve our app experience but only in aggregate and never with personally identifiable data
Optimized for full 64-bit performance.
Fixed an iOS 11 specific issue with certain buttons and page scroller.
Ratings and Reviews
Love the books. Please add more.
From the developer...
Whenever customers have a problem, we can help them if they will contact us. Only a very few have any problems, but occasionally there is a bad review that is posted without trying to contact us for help. Steffimuffi please contact us!
If you ever have a problem of any kind please contact us and we will make sure you are happy or refund your purchase! We only make great apps and want happy customers.
The New Kid on the Block
I love this book and fell in love with it when broderbound produced it for Apple over 20 years ago. I have an (now adult) autistic son. It not only helps to increase vocabulary but gives a visual picture of the meaning of words It helped my son immensely and I found it very amusing. I have bought the app for my iPhone to share with my grandchildren. It's great.
- Wanderful, Inc.
- 133.5 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2013, Wanderful, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Upgrade $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.