New Paint X is a classic painting application to draw, color, or edit pictures. You can use New Paint X like a digital sketchpad to make simple pictures, creative projects, or to add text and designs to other pictures, such as those taken with your digital camera.
This tried-and-true program is easier to use—and fun, too. The realistic digital "brushes" will bring your pictures to life in shades of watercolor, crayon, and calligraphy.
• Pencil: draw thin, free-form lines or straight lines;
• Brush: over 150 built-in paintbrushes, such as DNA brush, Calligraphy brush, Blur brush, Ink brush and so on;
• Eraser: erase areas from image;
• Color bucket: fill the entire picture or an enclosed shape with color;
• Airbrush: sprays paint onto image;
• Shape and text: many ready-made shapes, such as Line, Curve, Oval, Star, Polygon, Cloud, Smile and so on;
• Color picker: pick a color for drawing tools from canvas;
• Crop tool: crop specific area from image;
• Selection tools: rectangle selection, ellipse selection, free-form selection and polygon selection;
• Zoom tool: zoom in/out the canvas;
• Hand tool: translate the canvas.
• Supported selection modes: normal, union, intersect, subtract;
• Resize/translate selection;
• Stroke/fill selection;
• Supported blend modes: normal, darken, lighten, soft light, hard light, and so on;
• Complete keyboard shortcuts support;
• Basic image functions: rotate, flip, resize, crop;
• Support transparency color.
• Create new image from system clipboard.
• Drag images from web browser or Finder onto canvas;
• Zoom by gesture;
• Paste from an image file;
• Supported file formats: png, tiff, bmp, jpeg, gif.
and much more ...
Take your time and enjoy it!
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or suggestions.
Ratings and Reviews
EDIT: ok, so apparently there is no save button because it saves any changes made to image automatically… I did not realize this when I made my original comment below, which I will leave up to clarify what I found helpful from this app. Given the save feature oddness, I will simply make a copy of the image I want to edit so I can have an original to fall back on should I make a mistake. This saving anomily is a bit annoying, but for what I am looking for this is sadly the best free app I have found after over an hour of searching. Alll the other apps either had a problem with the sizes of my images, wouldn’t let me expand my canvas, or wouldn’t let me copy my image within the same canvas.
This was my original comment that has since been rendered moot:
All I want to do is be able to adjust the size of my canvas and place several copies of the same large image onto the same canvas, one next to the other. Such a task used to be so easy in the days before apps…. I thought I finally found it with this app; I was able to use the cop tool to expand the canvas (albeit in annoyingly small increments) and then was able to copy the image several times and place the copies next to each other… And then I could not find any button for saving the file. I finally just hit the “x”, figuring I’d get the usual “Do you want to save changes?” pop-up box. No such luck. Sigh… Back to scouring the app store.
Since moving from Win to Mac I missed the Paint app more than I expected, the previous version of this app Paint X was a great solution for me, but the UI did feel pretty dated. This is a great ‘update’, the interface is laid out very well, I’m happy to see pinch zoom on the trackpad works, the watermark on the free version looks much nicer, and other UI improvements.
However, it took me a minute to find the Text tool, I would prefer that not be burried in the shapes tool, and I still haven’t found the Line tool, is that really gone?? That’s an essential feature for me.
edit: changed from 3 to 5 stars, thank you for the developer response! It still seems the curved line tool only has an arrow option, but that should usually work fine and I often will be able to easily erase the head of the arrow if needed.
There are two ways to draw a line:
1. When use the *pencil* tool: Hold shift key, and then click the left mouse button on canvas, you can draw a line from the end point of last stroke;
2. When use the *shape* tool: Select the *Curve* shape from the popup button, a line will appeared on the canvas, then move its endpoints to your preference.
For more information, please see http://jobssoft.com/macapps/newpaintx/help/index.php
Undo 100% necessary, Automatic save irritating
It does run better than the old one. However, while using the fill tool I accidentally used it on the black outline of the template I was filling and it changed the entire outline. I tried to look for the undo button and found no undo button. The automatic saving is irritating, I was hoping to fix it by closing out of it and just reopening the blank template, however it had already saved the template, had to delete the template and find the original. It’s more irriating than having to forget to save and doing it all over again than repeatedly having to delete the image, finding it, then trying again over and over.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.