By Luminary Apps
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Learn how to play Chess or improve your game with a fun, hands-on approach. Attack lines, hazard indicators, score explanation, and many more graphical effects make it easy for new players to understand game rules and tactics. Interactive books by Chess luminaries guide you from beginner to master; two books are built in, and more are available for download.
AIs designed to always challenge the player without being too difficult make learning the game fun, as it should be. With two human players, either (or both) can use a time limit to even the game, while keeping it challenging for both players.
Also, two game variants (the Pawn Game and Chess960) are included; these variants in particular are often used by Chess coaches to help students achieve mastery of Chess. Other features include:
• Unlimited Undo (which may be turned off for serious players)
• Attack lines showing which squares are threatened or protected
• Hazard indicators showing threat level for each piece
• Configurable time limits for one or both players
• Legal-moves indicator to help beginners understand movement rules
• Visible "castle flags" showing which rooks can castle
• Last-move indicator
• Piece names and point values
• Four AIs of varying difficulty
• For zero to two players
• Interactive Chess book reader
Newbie Chess has been enjoyed by adults as well as kids as young as five, and is a great way for parents to introduce their children to the game.
Whether you've never played before, or you just want to improve your game, you will hone your skills and have a blast with Newbie Chess.
What's New in Version 2.0
Version 2.0 of Newbie Chess brings the world of Chess books to your iOS device! Build a library of famous works to help you hone your game. Any diagram comes to life as you step through the sequence of moves being discussed by the author, or experiment with your own variations. You won't find a more fun or effective way to learn or improve your game.
It would be nice to play the black pieces right side up. When you play black it just flips the board, the pieces stay the same. So if you play the black pieces they are up side down. " Very Annoying!" It shouldn't be the hard to change the format. Other than that its a very cool chess game. I love the graphics.
Great for beginners
I must take issue with the person who says the engine is too easy. It is called Newbie Chess after all. It is great for absolute beginners and small children. It fills a need very well. Probably not for people who can advance more quickly.
Good app overall, but can be improved
Good app! My 8 year old practicing chess with it. (Wins and draws rewarded with Pokemon cards). Couple of remarks - castling is hard to execute and it also needs different undo settings. Restricting number of undos would be great to develop proper chess habits in young learners.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Jul 14, 2011
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 8.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Luminary Apps LLC
- © 2011 Luminary Apps, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Lasker's Manual of Chess 1$1.99
- Lasker's Manual of Chess 2$3.99
- Let's Play Chess$4.99
- Lasker's Manual of Chess - Book 4$4.99
- Tal-Botvinnik 1960$9.99
- Common Sense in Chess$9.99
- Bird by Bird$2.99
- Dvoretsky's Analytical Manual$1.99
- Lasker's Manual of Chess - Book 5$1.99
- Lasker's Manual of Chess - Book 3$4.99