News Explorer is a powerful yet remarkably easy-to-use RSS, JSON, Atom and Twitter newsreader with iCloud based synchronisation between iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, Apple Watch and Apple TV.
FULL iCLOUD SYNC
• News Explorer syncs your RSS, JSON, Atom, YouTube and Twitter subscriptions, folder setup, news items, read statuses and favorites across all your Apple devices.
• Synchronisation is based on iCloud, so there is no need to login or to sign up into any other service, it just works out of the box.
• Built-in high speed RSS, RDF, Atom, JSON and Twitter feed engine.
• Supports Twitter user and hashtags timelines.
• Clean, 100% native, distraction-free user interface
• Article list with resizable thumbnails
• Size, alignment and visibility of the thumbnails are adjustable.
• Built-in browser for viewing inline links and other references
• Themes, adaptable to your taste and mood
• Split View support
• Use Reader view to download and read the full version of articles in a clean and easy-to-read format
• Mark items as favorite for later reading
• Navigate with one click to the original content
• Reply, retweet and like tweets in Twitter feeds without leaving the app
• Timeline view shows your news items in an attractive newspaper-like way
• Full text search
• Built-in image viewer to browse through all images of news items
• Share news items via email, Messages, Twitter, Facebook and more
• Built-in support to share items with Instapaper and Pocket
• Add new RSS, Atom and JSON feeds directly from Safari, using the 'Add to News Explorer' share extension
• Add RSS and Twitter feeds via the built-in search form
• Support to add manually RSS, Atom, JSON and Twitter feeds
• Dedicated YouTube channel feed support
• Group your subscriptions with collapsible folders
• Rename and reorder folders and subscriptions, using drag-and-drop
• OPML import and export.
• Article reader with adjustable title and body font settings
• Global filters let you filter all subscriptions and related news on unread items and favorites
• External keyboard support
• Perform quick actions with horizontal swipes
• Pull subscription list to start a sync session
• App icon badge with unread items count
• Navigate to the next or previous item with animated swipe gestures
• Custom storage period for each item status (read, unread and favorite).
• Opened items can be automatically set to read, immediately or after a custom period.
• Article links can be opened in the built-in browser based on the Safari-view controller, or as external URL which includes support for external apps.
• Syncing with iCloud can be disabled, to use only the built-in high speed RSS engine.
• And much more!
STATE OF THE ART
• Supports RSS 2.0, RDF, ATOM, JSON Feed and Twitter news feeds
• Supports RSS feeds with HTTP digest and basic authentication
• iCloud sync with CloudKit
• Background app refresh
• Spotlight indexing with images
• 3D Force
• Handoff, pick up where you left off
• Notifications with images
• Retina support
• Dynamic Type support
You only need to buy two apps to cover all Apple platforms:
• News Explorer for Mac is available on the Mac App Store.
• News Explorer for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Apple TV is a universal purchase app, available on the App Store of the mentioned devices. Universal purchase allows you to purchase News Explorer once, and then access it on all connected platforms.
SUPPORT AND FEEDBACK
If you have any questions or need support on News Explorer, then browse to https://betamagic.nl/support/newsexplorer/help.html, email us at email@example.com or twitter to @elemanssoftware.
Please share your thoughts and ideas about News Explorer with us via firstname.lastname@example.org. If you like News Explorer then feel free to leave a review or a rating in the App Store, it helps a lot!
• The watchOS app now supports Dynamic type.
• Fixed an issue with a missing navigation bar when navigating back from the article viewer.
• Fixed a truncated titles issue in the 'Search new feeds' dialog.
• Added support for often used Wordpress drop cap styles.
• Extended extraction of images.
• Improved protection against duplicates.
• Improved iCloud cleaning algorithm.
• After loading images in the article viewer, the images are resized to max width if possible, or hidden when they are too small (iPad only).
• New option to download feeds as files before processing, which may help to retrieve news from slow responding feed sources. Only use this when you really need it, because it slows down the sync process.
• Short cut for Mark all as Read is now Command+D.
• Short cut for Redownload is now Command+R.
• Solved a bug that resulted in redownloading JSON feed items after marking them previously as read.
Ratings and Reviews
Finally. This is it.
Wow. Finally. I'm a UI snob. I've used RSS since it was developed. I've used the iPad since is was introduced, and instantly I realized it was the perfect RSS reading device. And now, after all this time, I've finally found an app that meets my expectations. I wanted something that uses as much core Apple technologies and UI style as possible. I wanted flexible themes text sizes. I didn't want the UI to be "unique". The best design is "invisible" meaning you don’t notice it because you're fully engaged with your task, and it's not getting in your way. This is it. It's not without fault. Putting feeds in folders is a total pain. But that's something you do rarely. I'm giving it a pass and 5 stars because it is much better than the competition, and allowed me to drop an aggregator subscription. I even had an excellent interaction with support (the dev himself) when I couldn't figure out my OPML file. He showed me what I was doing wrong. Bravo.
Great app just keeps improving
Great News reader. Period. Hands down, best I’ve been able to find, and the best since Net NewsWire circa 2009. Structured list reading as you want to set it up. If you’re like me and you want to read the feeds you know you want to read, not some machine-learning “tell me about your interests” thing... this is for you.
Phenomenal support. The dev responds quickly to support emails, and continues to refine and rev the product. Sync is solid and fast and uses iCloud (no new account anywhere!!). Worked great on my iPhone 6, works great on my iPhone X, and iPad mini, and MBP.
I could find things to improve if I looked really hard. But I’d have to look really, really hard... and they’d all be tiny quibbles.
If you read news, you owe it to yourself to download this.
Looking for one app on Mac and IOS
And found it. I can be done with feedly and focus on reading news on both with the great iCloud syncing. The other apps like Flipboard have their place in how I consume a variety of news. Traveling in Asia I want a quick synopsis at times and then in a coffee shop the more detailed view.
Thanks for a great app. Glad I found it.
- Ron Elemans
- 39.4 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2018 Betamagic
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.