News Explorer is a full-featured yet easy-to-use RSS, JSON, Atom and Twitter newsreader with iCloud based synchronisation between Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Apple TV.
FULL ICLOUD SYNC
• News Explorer syncs your RSS, JSON, Atom and Twitter subscriptions, folder setup, news items, read statuses and favorites across all your Apple devices.
• Synchronisation is based on iCloud, so there is no need to login or to sign up into any other service, it just works out of the box.
• Built-in high speed RSS and Atom engine.
• Supports Twitter user and hashtags timelines.
• Enhanced support for YouTube feeds.
• Supports Podcast RSS feeds.
• Clean, stylish and distraction-free user interface.
• Article list with thumbnails, adjustable in size and alignment.
• Built-in browser for viewing inline links and other references.
• Themes, adaptable to your taste and mood.
• Font of the news article body and header are adjustable.
• Smart filters
• Use Reader view to download and read the full version of articles in a clean and easy-to-read format.
• Mark items as favorite for later reading.
• Navigate with one click to the original content.
• Reply, retweet and like tweets in Twitter feeds without leaving the app.
• Timeline view shows your news items in an attractive newspaper-like way.
• Full text search.
• Full keyboard navigation.
• Open articles in separate tabs or windows, for maximum focus.
• Built-in image viewer to browse through all images of news items.
• Full window YouTube videos
• Built-in support to share news items with Instapaper and Pocket.
• Share news items via email, Messages, Twitter, Facebook and other sharing services.
• Add new RSS, Atom, JSON, Podcast and YouTube feeds directly from Safari, using the 'Add to News Explorer' share extension.
• Add RSS and Twitter feeds via the built-in search form.
• Support to add manually RSS, Atom, JSON and Twitter feeds.
• Feed extension support let you open RSS news feed URL’s.
• Group your subscriptions by using folders.
• Rename and reorder folders and subscriptions, using drag-and-drop.
• OPML import and export.
• Feed manager let you manage the feeds that should be displayed in the Notification Center.
• Assign keyboard shortcuts to sharing services, including Instapaper and Pocket.
• Simply hit the spacebar to open the next article or to scroll the article when needed.
• Global filters let you filter all subscriptions and related news on unread items and favorites.
• Support for enhanced arrow key navigation with auto expand and collapse of the sidebar and the built-in browser.
• With full Touch Bar support you have quick access to all essential functions.
• App icon badge with unread items count.
STATE OF THE ART
• Supports RSS 2.0, RDF, JSON Feed, ATOM and Twitter news feeds
• Supports feeds with Basic and Digest HTTP Authentication.
• iCloud sync based on CloudKit
• Touch Bar
• Spotlight Search
• Handoff, pick up where you left off
• Notifications with images
• Retina support
You only need to buy two apps to cover all Apple platforms:
• News Explorer for Mac is available on the Mac App Store.
• News Explorer for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Apple TV is a universal purchase app, available on the App Store of the mentioned devices. Universal purchase allows you to purchase News Explorer once, and then access it on all connected platforms.
SUPPORT AND FEEDBACK
News Explorer is one of the best documented news apps with an extensive help page on https://betamagic.nl/support/newsexplorer/help.html. If you still have any questions or need support, email us at email@example.com or twitter to @elemanssoftware.
Please share your thoughts and ideas about News Explorer with us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you like News Explorer then feel free to leave a review or a rating in the App Store, it helps a lot!
• Fixed a bug with marking items as unread
• Fixed an issue with playing videos on some websites
• New security setting 'Start videos and audio manually'
• Improved validation of Atom feeds
Ratings and Reviews
The BEST RSS and News Reader
Just discovered News Explorer and I am completely impressed. I have tried many news agregation apps and RSS readers and this one does everything you could want in addtion to offering a beautiful UI and reader display. It is very customizable and syncs beautifully with IOS (which intergrates it’s own settings with the IOS settings framework, brilliant). The search option offers multiple related feeds and sites that you can add all at once, making setup quick and easy . I do wsh there was more control with noitfications, currently I have them turned of because they were flooding my devices unlimited, however, this is just a minor wish. Overall, the great user experience and detailed contro options makes this truly the BEST application of it’s kind that I have found so far.
Best RSS reader available...
VERY GOOD. :)
The app has a high quality and intuitive interface and iCloud syncing and works perfectly with the iOS app. It does take a little review by the user to understand some of the options and the behavior of the iCloud sync. I’ve tried several RSS apps and this is by far the best I’ve seen so far.
I’ve had one freeze that required a force quit to kill the spinny beachball of death. The app forgot some marked favorites and the dark theme setting. I am assuming the favorites issue was due to the timing of an iCloud sync trigger. I’m not sure why it forgot the dark theme setting.
I would like a bit more, though, like:
-an option to set the default launch view to unread instead of all items
-an option to vary the settings for folders or feeds instead of all settings globally (e.g. notifications, refresh periods, link behavior, etc.)
-an option to play embedded videos in line in the article viewer without expanding to the full app window
-the same control over the text size for the sidebar and article list that is available for the article view
-the ability to add custom smart filters and alerts
-more frequent updates
Developer Response ,
Thanks a lot for your review and rating!
'Forgetting setting changes' may happen when you force quit the app. Regarding your first request, please check setting 'Restore last selected subscription' in the Advanced section of the preferences. Playing YouTube videos inline is supported by disabling setting 'Open YouTube videos in full window' in the Behaviours section of the preferences. All other requests are already part of the backlog.
This is a very nice RSS reader, and it syncs via iCloud!
It looks really nice, I’ve found it reliable… very few things not to love.
I will offer a few nitpicks though:
1) It’d be nice if headings that were collapsed (“hide”) on the sidebar stayed collapsed, but when you change the view, it reverts.
2) If you view an article in reader view, when you go to the next article it’s off again (so you have to use V key a lot). It’d be nice if it were sticky for feeds that truncate by default
Compliaints specific to the iOS version
1) The icon is… awful. The blurred “N” is tolerable on macOS, but the iOS icon is really bad.
2) The font in the article list is VERY small and not adjustable. It’s noticeably smaller than the “medium” font size in Mail, for example. I wish it adjusted to use the system standard font size, I’m not 25 anymore.
But otherwise, the article reading experience, the lack of requirements to pay for a subscription service, and everything about the app is great!
- Ron Elemans
- 9.4 MB
macOS 10.12.2 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2019 Betamagic
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.