NewsBar RSS reader
By Andras Porffy
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Rock your Desktop with NewsBar, the fast-updating iCloud newsreader! Now also on iPhone and iPad!
NewsBar is built with a fresh concept: news feeds delivered with a smooth animation, right to your desktop with automatic iCloud sync across all Apple devices. Converts plain old RSS feeds into a live news stream with keyword watching and alerts. Works fine without Google Reader, syncing with Feedly and Pocket.
All of your RSS feeds continuously appear on the selected side of your display, or in a regular window. NewsBar is like having your own, personal news agency. You don't have to waste your time checking webpages - NewsBar will show you what's going on.
No delays, no waiting: stories appear right on your display, just as they are published. You can easily organize, read, follow, mark, filter and search news from your favorite feeds. Stories are read directly from RSS sources without delay, NewsBar is the fastest RSS reader in the world.
There is no need to register any account or login into any service, news reading with NewsBar is safe and private.
"If you’re looking for something a bit different in your RSS reader, I really recommend giving NewsBar a try, it’s a surprisingly powerful and enjoyable little app." - Mac Appstorm
◦ News without delay
◦ High speed, efficient RSS engine
◦ iCloud sync of feeds, statuses and starred across all Apple devices
◦ Smooth animation on news arrival
◦ Intuitive user interface
◦ Mac desktop integration with adjustable opacity
◦ Add new feeds and feed icons with Drag and Drop
◦ Organize feeds into user defined folders
◦ Single click opens RSS content in a popup window
◦ Double click opens news in your browser
◦ Auto hide read items
◦ Mark & share news
◦ OS X Notification Center support
◦ Star news for later reading
◦ News can be highlighted and filtered by keywords
◦ Keyword detection alerts using audible and visible cues
◦ Customizable interface (colors, fonts, size, gradient, opacity)
◦ Assign custom icon for each feed
◦ RSS 2.0, ATOM support
◦ Sync feed list and starred items with Feedly (optional)
◦ Send Starred news items to Pocket (optional)
◦ Customizable individual feed settings
◦ Import feed list from Google Reader takeout
◦ OPML export and import
◦ Quick text search in all feeds
◦ Multiple display/desktop and Spaces support
◦ Menubar mode (App icon can be removed from dock)
◦ Very low CPU and memory usage
◦ Designed for OS X Mountain Lion, Lion and Snow Leopard
• Minimize to Dock
• Quick Text Search
• Add new Feed
• Show only Starred News
• Auto hide read items
• Show only Keyword filtered News
• Open Preferences
What's New in Version 3.5
◦ Introducing Pocket support
◦ Starred items will be automatically added to Pocket
◦ Snow Leopard compatibility issues fixed
◦ Stability and performace improvements
Better Before the Last Upgrade
NewsBar was working great for me (OSX 10.6.8 on a Mac Mini). As of version 3.5 however, the news feed will only occasionally scroll with the mouse as it should. Restarting app, rebooting & running nothing but NewsBar hasn't helped.
Emailed support and was amazed to get a reply in an hour or so on a Sunday night! Unfortunately, the advice did not resolve the issue and I haven't been able to get any further reply from them. I didn't see anything in the suport forum about this, so perhaps it's an isolated issue. Still, I'd much rather support tell me they don't have a solution than to just go silent after the first attempt.
I would love to see a scroll bar (as with standard windows) or some other way to jump to the top of the list after scrolling through a long list of entries. As it is now, there's no way to tell where you are in the list (I'm not a big fan of the setting to auto jump to the top, since that tends to happen while I'm partway through reading and I loose where I was).
Still, probably the best RSS reader option I've tried.
Best RSS reader for Mac and iOS
Newsbar is by far the best RSS client I have come across. After trying Feedly, Leaf etc…. nothing has worked out. NewsBar as every feature that you would expect from a RSS reader. The best feature by far is that way it syncs perfectly with the avalible iOS app. So many times I have read articles twice because its on my Computer and my iPad. This is no longer an issue. The side bar that continues to bring you up to the minute updates, is farless obtrusive than the typical notification center alert that almost always distracts your eyes form what you are working on.
NewsBar is a steal at any price. Best reader to date.
The Greatest News App - and now has Pocket!
I'm using NewsBar since it's first release and now i can't imagine my desktop without it. Most of the newsreaders showing news from the past (just try compare it with others...), but these guys somehow recognized what's the best way to use RSS today. This is the only reader showing the present. I don't have to start an app or click anywhere to see what's going on, just a glance is enough to have all info i need. Great job!
Finally we got Pocket! Thanks Developers!