NewsTap (Usenet Newsreader)
By Alexander Clauss
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
NewsTap is a powerful Usenet Newsreader for the iPhone and the iPod Touch.
- Optimized for offline usage, so you can read and write news articles without an internet connection (important for the iPod Touch and if your news server is not accessible through a telephone line or foreign WLAN hotspots). With a simple tap of your finger, the app will download all the new articles and send your own ones to the news groups in one short transaction. The internet connection is only needed for a very short time.
- It's easy and simple to subscribe, manage and read news groups.
- Filters (also known as "Killfile") can automatically mark articles as read or mark them with a certain color.
- The application fully supports the portrait and landscape mode.
- Limited support for binary groups so photos and pictures can be displayed as well. It's possible to add photos into the photo album of the iPod or iPhone.
- Quotes are displayed in different colors. Colors are also used to distinguish between read and unread articles, locked articles and your own articles.
- Hyperlinks are automatically detected and can be opened in the web browser Safari.
- Optimized article layout for the small iPhone display. The original article layout is also available.
- Navigate within the articles from within the thread view or simply by flipping to the next/previous article with your finger.
- It's possible to hide articles that are already read and to hide quotes.
- Post new articles or send followups.
- Build-in help, which explains all the application features.
For more screenshots please look at the developers web site.
What's New in Version 4.0.1
Bugfix: When using an iPad with iOS 5, there's an issue with scrolling when replying to a longer article.
If you already updated to iOS 6 or when using an iPhone or iPod Touch, you do not need this update.
Doesn't work and non existent support!
After purchasing the software, and the newsfeed connection, I wasn't able to get NEWSTAP to make the connection to the newsfeed, even after following the step by step instructions. The newsfeed company helped confirm the configuration I was using but it still didn't work. I emailed the developer of the over a week ago and have yet to hear from him or his organization.
I'm now looking for another interface for my newsnet feed!
Took a step backwards
You can't upload files, you have to reply on the bottom of the message and the iCloud feature completely messes up the app. I tried it for about a week and it constantly took read messages and marked them unread, sometimes hundreds t a time.
I have used this for a while. Replying to news articles get worse and worse. I absolutely hate replying to articles using this program.
Who replies to a message at the BOTTOM of a post?!?! It's impossible to reply at the top where it belongs. You try and insert at the top and you just hit cancel every time.
It's a chore to reply to posts using this program. It's boggles my mind why you can't reply to an article just like you do in every single email program in the world. That cancel button again makes even trying to get the cursor up that impossible.
It's why I can't stand using this program.
- Category: News
- Updated: Dec 13, 2012
- Version: 4.0.1
- Size: 2.4 MB
- Languages: English, Croatian, German, Spanish
- Seller: Alexander Clauss
- © 2009 Alexander Clauss
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.