NextBus- Official NextBus App For Transit Agencies
By NextBus, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
NextBus Mobile Application has following major functionalities:
1. Find real-time ETA for nearby stops instantly.
2. Find walking directions from the current location to the nearest stop.
4. Save favorite agency, route and stop.
5. Find all or nearby Transit agencies.
6. Restore default setting such as favorite stops etc.
7. Get Help and learn how to use the application.
8. Send comments/questions/complaints to NextBus or Transit Agency.
9. Expand arrival information for selected agency/route/stop
10. Find arrival for next three tracked vehicles.
11. Save alerts for a stop and agency.
12. Support French and Spanish.
1) Real-time ETA is available for service vehicles that are equipped with working GPS devices.
2) Stops must be serviced by transit agencies that are using NextBus RTPI system.
3) Where Transit agency is equipped with NextBus RTPI system.
What's New in Version 2.02
Enhanced interface based on user's feedback and suggestions:
- Intuitive look and feel and clear arrival time presentation with enhanced functionality;
- Create, name and order your own favorite stops;
- Better grouping of NEARBY stops;
- New layout for Stop detail with street map;
- Integration with transit operator's website, published schedule, interactive voice response (IVR) and text messaging (SMS);
- Redesigned local reminder/notification for easy setup and removal;
- Performance optimization;
- Bug fixes
Not much good to say about this app and service. I've tried it for the various bus and rail lines in San Francisco, yet I have to browse through every transit agency they support in the whole country to pick a route. The "real time" data they show is horribly inaccurate and frequently shows busses arriving and departing my stops when no real bus is anywhere to be seen for at least ten minutes before or after, and shows no busses arriving at all in the time that two go by. In the six weeks I've been commuting in SF, it was nearly correct once, I'm now certain by pure coincidence. It does have one nice feature in that it lets you save your stops to favorites so you don't have to browse for them every time.
Nextbus is raping the transit agencies!
Transit agencies pay a ton of money to Nextbus for their realtime app service. In return Nextbus is providing a piece of crap. Doesn't work well when users increase their phone's font size. The UX looks like it was done by someone completely unqualified to create UX. And the setting to show Bus stops/lines within a certain distance doesn't work at all. I see bus lines that are miles away from my location. I hope the transit agencies force Nextbus to release their real time data free to the public via API so someone else can create a better app.
Fantastic for LA
I never heard of the app before until this homeless guy in LA told me to get it. Even homeless people in California are tech savvy. Wew.
In all seriousness, I think the performance of this app depends on which city you are in. I've only tried the app in LA and it has been awesome. Helps me plan my day a lot faster and easier.