There are so many interesting shadows that can be seen throughout the day! Use the Shadows Journal to capture them! Go on a Shadow Hunt and take photos of Cool Shadows. Create a Mystery Shadows matching game by photographing objects and the shadows they make. With tools for children to record their observations, the Shadows Journal playfully introduces children to the science of shadows.
• Documents photos of cool shadows children create or find in photo albums
• Gives prompts for shadow scavenger hunts
• Creates a shadow matching game for friends to play
• Aligns with research-based early science learning trajectories
• No in-app purchases
• No advertising
This app is designed for children to to strengthen their science investigation skills and explore the concepts of shadows as they:
• Understand that a shadow is seen when a light shines on a surface and an object blocks some of that light.
• Identify objects that are blocking light and their shadows.
• Understand that shadows can be made using different sources of light, including natural lights (like the sun) and those made by people (like lamps and flashlights).
• Describe how the shape of a shadow changes when a light source shines on different sides of an object.
• Observe how a shadow is different when cast on one surface or multiple surfaces.
• Understand that a shadow’s size changes when the distance between the light source and an object changes.
• Understand how a shadow’s length and shape change when the position or angle of the light source changes.
• Make predictions and carry out experiments about how a shadow will change when the light source's distance, position, or angle change.
The Shadows Journal and the entire Shadows curriculum supplement from Early Science with Nico & Nor™ was rigorously researched and developed specifically for preschool classroom use. The Shadows unit contains two apps: Shadow Play and the Shadows Journal. In Shadow Play, children help put on a shadow theater show and discover how shadows change location, size, and shape.
Each Early Science with Nico & Nor curriculum supplement combines traditional classroom activities with digital learning to promote young children’s engagement with age-appropriate science practices and concepts during circle time, learning centers, read-aloud book sessions, snack time, and outdoor play!
About First 8 Studios at WGBH
WGBH Educational Foundation has pioneered children's educational media for decades. First 8 Studios at WGBH is dedicated to carrying this pioneering spirit into the digital, mobile world. First 8 Studios contributes to research by creating mobile experiences to support the healthy growth of children from birth through age 8. At the heart of this work is a commitment to ongoing collaborations with teachers, parents, pediatricians, education researchers, and children to give them a voice in the digital media development process. You'll find evidence of the big hearts and little fingerprints of our partners throughout each Nico & Nor experience.
Early Science with Nico & Nor™ and the characters and related indicia are trademarks of First 8 Studios @WGBH. ™/© 2019 WGBH Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.
This Early Science with Nico & Nor™ app was produced by WGBH Digital in Boston.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. DRL-1316550. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of NSF.
Internal technical updates for compatibility and future support.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.