NightCap Camera is a powerful app that takes amazing low light and night photos, videos and 4K time lapse. Long exposure produces beautiful photos in low light and unique Astronomy modes capture the stars, Northern Lights (Aurora) and more!
Do you find your photos and videos dark and grainy in low light? NightCap will help by unlocking the full potential of your iPhone or iPad's camera.
AI camera control makes it easy by automatically setting optimum focus and exposure for a brighter, clearer shot. All you need to do is hold steady and tap the shutter. If you prefer manual control then instant gesture based adjustment is always available, and special camera modes give you DSLR like results. You can even shoot photos, videos and time lapse in black and white if you want to.
Try Long Exposure mode for amazing motion blur effects and reduced image noise in low light. NightCap has an ISO Boost feature that allows 4x higher ISO than any other app, producing much brighter low light photos with low noise in Long Exposure mode!
Light Trails mode preserves moving lights - ideal for moving traffic at night, fireworks or light painting.
These modes are stunning when combined with HD or 4K time lapse!
There are 4 dedicated astrophotography camera modes. Stars Mode is ideal for a starry sky or Northern / Southern Lights (Aurora), or leave your device capturing in Star Trails Mode and watch the stars paint circles in the sky! There are also modes for easy photography of the International Space Station (ISS) and meteors (shooting stars).
Visit nightcapcamera.com for tutorials.
• Video recording with special Night Mode and full manual control.
• Time lapse recording with adjustable speed, long exposure and light trails support and up to 4K resolution on iPhone 6s or newer or 1080p HD on older devices.
• Aidie, a fully automatic AI camera operator chooses the optimum camera settings for you automatically, meaning brighter, clearer photos in low light with less risk of blurring the shot. All you need to do is hold steady and tap the shutter.
• AI enhanced focusing in very low light for fast, reliable focus.
• Automatic camera modes for Meteors (shooting stars), ISS (International Space Station), stars and star trails make these difficult tasks easy.
• Innovative manual camera controls designed for photographers: intuitive gesture-based control of exposure, ISO, focus and even white balance. Simply swipe to adjust.
• Long Exposure mode: Capture detailed, noise-free low light shots.
• Light Trails mode: Perfect for light painting and even astronomy: photograph star trails with unlimited exposure time!
• ISO Boost allows up to 4x higher ISO than any other app.
• Light Boost instantly boosts brightness while preserving image detail.
• Noise Reduction Mode helps reduce image noise.
• 8x Zoom control (camera-style for easy, smooth zoom).
• Full Apple Watch support with live preview and control of the main app features.
Fixes and improved battery life.
Ratings and Reviews
Maybe back in the day...
I enjoy spending time outdoors and was looking for an app that would take great pictures in low light. Read lots of reviews about this app before buying. Unfortunately, it appears that this app isn’t really relevant any more, unless you have some unusual need or desire to control every little thing. If that’s you, then this app is for you and is great at giving you that total control. However, using the iPhone X on iOS 12... the native camera app with its automatic features outperforms the touted AI on this app hands down. Probably a great app in its heyday, but not worth the $1.99 today. Still can’t get a decent picture of the Milky Way on my phone but at this point I’m done trying. It’s clear the only way to get good pictures is with a good expensive camera, not with a cheap app in the App Store. No offense to the developer intended.
Wow! Low light imaging now possible
I was a bit skeptical about how well this app would work but after a few days I am really impressed. I have yet to try the night sky due to weather and the full moon but I have used it to take portraits by candle light. Something the native camera app cannot do.
I only gave it four stars because you MUST either prop the phone up or use a tripod of some kind to hold it still. I would like to see an image alignment function to reposition each frame taken with the first one so one can hand hold in some of these modes. This is how we use our phones mostly and that would be a big plus for every day use.
This app impressed me. There are some good camera apps out there, but this one specializes in low-light pix and does it very well. It allows for very long exposures and high ISOs, and seems to use pixel averaging to minimize graininess. I can actually capture things in photos that are too faint to see with the naked eye, which is a little freaky (I could see Orion's shield in the photo but not when I looked at Orion directly). It does help to go over the manual—in particular, it helps to use it in bright light for a bit so that its AI can "learn," but that didn't take long. An app that found its niche and owns it.
- Realtime Dreams Limited
- 6.8 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Interealtime
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.