Nihongo is a Japanese-English dictionary, flashcard app, and reading assistant, designed to make the best use of the time you dedicate to studying Japanese.
Our dictionary is made to find what you're looking for fast, with the words Japanese speakers actually use at the top of every search result, and every word marked as "common", "uncommon", or "rare".
"Clippings", our reading assistant, is what makes Nihongo stand apart from other dictionaries. Paste in Japanese text from a website, email, an eBook, or anywhere else, and we'll add furigana or romaji to every word. We also enable you to tap on any word to see its definition. This will truly change the way you read Japanese. And now, you can get the same experience right in Safari using our Safari extension.
Personal experience (as well as a good deal of research in second-language acquisition) has shown us that the words that you're most likely to remember are the words that you're encountering naturally. To this end Nihongo automatically draws from your search history and clippings to compile flashcard decks filled with words for which you already have context. This makes it easy to study both the words you looked up during Japanese class, and those that appear in your favorite song or videogame. And by adding notes to the back of flashcards you can further connect each vocabulary word to your personal contextual understanding.
Kanji flashcards prompt you to draw the missing kanji from the words you're studying, creating stronger connections between the characters and their real-world use. Built-in kanji decks give you 2 or 3 key words to study for each kanji.
* Over 170,000 words, 165,000 example sentences, and 6000 kanji entries.
* Every word clearly marked as common, uncommon, or rare.
* Add your own notes to any dictionary entry.
* Quickly identify transitive/intransitive word pairs.
* Audio pronunciations of words and example sentences (Requires Nihongo Pro)
CLIPPINGS (READING ASSISTANT) [Pro]
* Adds furigana or romaji to text pasted into the app.
* Tap on any word to see its definition without leaving the clipping.
* All clippings saved for later reading.
* Flashcard deck automatically created so you can study the new words in a clipping.
* Display text horizontally or vertically.
* Have Nihongo read any clipping out loud.
* Flashcards automatically generated from words you lookup in the dictionary or paste into the app.
* Nihongo learns what words you know, and won't bother you again with words you've mastered.
* Customizable flashcards allow you to add furigana and/or romaji to words.
* Built-in kanji flashcard decks up through Middle School.
* Intuitive spaced repetition flashcard system for vocabulary and kanji drawing.
* Level up flashcards by studying every day.
* No penalty for missing a day of study, come back anytime.
* Search for words, kanji, and example sentences all in one place.
* Search using English, Japanese, or romaji.
* Search for kanji using radicals and stroke counts.
* Supports searching for conjugated words in both English and Japanese.
SAFARI EXTENSION [Pro]
* Add furigana or romaji to webpages.
* Tap on words to see definition within Safari.
SUBSCRIPTION PRICING & TERMS
Nihongo is free to download and use. Should you choose to upgrade to Nihongo Pro, we offer two auto-renewing subscription options:
Payment will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription renews automatically unless cancelled at least 24 hours prior to the end of the subscription period.
There is no increase in price when renewing.
Subscriptions can be managed and auto-renewal turned off in Account Settings in iTunes after purchase. Once purchased, refunds will not be provided for any unused portion of the term, and any unused portion of a free trial will be forfeited.
Read our full Terms of Service at https://nihongo-app.com/terms_of_use.html.
* Minor bug fixes.
* Updates to subscription purchase flow.
Ratings and Reviews
Best Japanese learning app
This is the best Japanese learning tool I know of. The dictionary is great. But if you only use it as a dictionary, then you’re badly underestimating the power of this tool. With the clipping analysis and safari extension, this is a self contained learning platform, where you can read, learn new words, and review them by flash cards later on. It’s worth upgrading to pro version.
One thing needs to be improved is to add a sync feature. It would be good to be able to sync clippings and word decks across iPhone and iPad.
This is my go-to dictionary
I use google translate as well, but this app seems to find the correct meaning better than even google translate. I like that I can search either English or romaji terms in the same search box.
My only regret is that I did not buy this app when it was less expensive. I have the lite version and find the pricing to be too expensive for pro.
I’ve not been able to find a feature that tells whether verbs are ichidan or godan, but otherwise this app is very useful. As I look up words, they can easily be added to a deck to study and review. Blocks of text or articles can be pasted into the app for translation and study.
Nihongo Pro (Monthly)
Flashcards, audio, and more, renewing monthly
Nihongo Pro (Annual)
Flashcards, audio, and more, renewing yearly
- Serpenti Sei LLC
- 254.1 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, German, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Serpenti Sei LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Nihongo Pro (Lifetime) $49.99
- Nihongo Pro (Monthly) $2.99
- Nihongo Pro (Annual) $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.