NOAA Hi-Def Radar
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Limited Time Sale - 50% OFF - DOWNLOAD NOW!
Simple yet powerful, this is the only app in the appstore that shows amazing real-time hi-def animated weather radar images in vivid color with snowfall, hurricane tracks and lightning strikes on a highly responsive interactive map, along with weather forecast, severe weather warning boxes, storm direction arrows, wildfires, current drought severity, and snowfall on the same map. 90% of our users who got it more than a year ago are still using it everyday!
Plus this is the only app that automatically augments land-based radar images with latest images from NOAA satellites covering the Atlantic/Pacific oceans into one single screen. This lets you track and follow the upcoming hurricanes and storms all from the same map.
Plus this is the only app where radar images will show up and start animating within 2 seconds of launching the app, even when on a slow 3G connection. This is also the only map based weather app that keeps up even when you are rapidly zooming in and out or just moving the map around, without any distracting flickering or other inconsistencies, and it will keep the animation going even as you are moving the map!
Plus this is the only app that allows *you* to control the loop speed, and also choose the interval between individual frames from 5 minutes all the way to 1 hr, and also change the number of frames shown in animation.
Plus easily bookmark multiple locations so you can do a quick radar + forecast check for all your important places in just a few seconds.
- Install and go, no complex setup
- Sharp images
- Lightning Strikes on the map!
- Check the current weather + forecast for any point on the map
- Severe weather warning boxes on the map
- Storm Tracks/arrows on the map with detailed storm information
- Hurricane Forecast Tracks on the map
- Wildfire locations on map with detailed information and firefighting updates
- US Drought severity map
- Fast Loading
- Near real-time, shows the latest radar images within minutes of being gathered.
- Bookmark multiple locations for quick access
- Intuitive Play/pause/manual modes for moving between frames.
- Always shows both time-stamp and "minutes ago" with each frame to prevent any confusion while viewing the loop.
- Select opacity of radar images to your taste
- Save/Share Radar Screenshot via email or social media
- Send Weather Postcard via email or social media
- Read Area Forecast Discussions issued by your nearest NWS forecast office.
- Check your local radar site's hardware operational status from within the app
- See images from upto 6 hours ago by increasing frame interval and number of frames to maximum
- Get fast support from within the app
If still not satisfied, then try our even more feature-packed app, "RadarCast Pro", currently 25% Off for $2.99. Besides everything in this app, key additions are hi-definition future-cast radar, push-notifications when its about to rain, lightning strikes in near real-time vs delayed by a few minutes, a cloud+radar layer, saving bookmarks across reinstalls, and more.
Coverage Notes: If you live in a very-high-altitude town in Colorado (e.g. Fraser, Vail, Aspen), most likely this app will not meet your needs since radar beams get blocked by the tall mountains. Alaska coverage includes only the southern coastal areas, and does not include the Aleutian Chain. Also cloud coverage does not include Alaska and Guam.
- This app is only useful for users in the US, including all 50 states and territories including Puerto Rico and Guam.
Please follow our twitter stream at http://twitter.com/weathersphere for news and updates.
What's New in Version 1.21
- Lightning Strikes on the map!
- Add bookmarks on map using address book contacts
- Share Radar Screenshot via email or social media
- Send Weather Postcard to friends or family
- Weather info screen also shows severe weather warnings when applicable
Several other enhancements per user request:
- Show weather directly from bookmarks screen for each location on iPhone
- On/off buttons in Choose-Layers screen work properly
- Remembers if animation stopped when restarting app
- Find address screen less confusing
- Bug fixes
NOAA Hi-Def Radar by WeatherSphere
I have several weather apps and this is the best and most user-friendly weather app! It EASILY enables one to add many locations and cities of weather interest and those locations can be personalized with custom icons. It has detailed information on fires, floods, etc. The graphics, vibrant colors, and color choices of the forecast screen also make it a beautiful app. I purchased another NOAA Hi-Def app for $2.99, I regretted the purchase immediately and removed it from my iPad. It is not user friendly nor is it as sophisticated as this app. My hope is that down the road the developers will not change a thing, sometimes it's best to leave things alone when perfection has already been attained!
FAA Safety Inspector review
Simple, accurate, easy to read, and some really great graphics. Something many of these weather app's don't have.
The last thing a person needs when standing out on a damp windy ramp at an airport and trying to get the latest update on the weather is the source of information he's using comes across full of "fluff" and a lot of superfluous information.
It might not have everything you need for a complete weather briefing, or take the place of talking directly with a briefer, but with very little practice you can get a strong feel as to what your route of flight will encounter concerning the weather.
I recommend this app very highly.
Hands Down, Best Weather App Out There
I was happy to discover this app a few months ago, as I have always loved NOAA. I live in an area that is threatened by tornadoes a couple times every spring and this app kept me from running to the closet when the local guys got all worked up about storms, which I have discovered is more often than the weather seems to really warrant.
This app is reliable, accurate, and has a pretty decent ability to pinpoint exact locations. The expandable info boxes (eg, storm, NE 6mph) are invaluable as are the directional arrows associated with each storm system. Definitely in my top 5 "go-to" apps.
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Mar 15, 2013
- Version: 1.21
- Size: 5.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: WeatherSphere
- © 2011 WeatherSphere
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.