NOAA Radar US - HD Weather Radar and Forecasts
By Shuksan Software, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Fast. Simple. Reliable. Hi-resolution. Predictive radar. Severe weather warnings. Snow/mixed precipitation display. Forecasts. As millions of our customers have discovered, NOAA RadarUS delivers everything you need in a app for viewing animated weather radar images.
Want more? Check out these unique features in our app:
• Choice of radar images with or without snow/freezing rain display
• Hourly predicted radar from NOAA weather models
• Choice of radar color schemes.
• Clutter control to suppress false radar echoes.
• Optional image smoothing that lets you either remove image pixellation or display the radar image as accurately as possible.
• Composite images of echo tops, composite reflectivity, and storm total precipitation.
Want the whole story? Here are all of the features:
• 7 day forecasts and current conditions -- just press and hold for a second on the radar map.
• Severe weather (flash flood, tornado, and severe thunderstorm) warnings. Tap on a warning box to display the full warning message from the National Weather Service. Note: these are *not* push alerts. The app must be open to view the warnings.
• Cloud cover and satellite imagery for the continental United States.
• Advanced radar layers (echo tops, composite reflectivity, and storm total precipitation).
• Play, pause, and step animations.
• Fast zoom in and zoom out.
• Choice of radar palettes.
• Multiple map styles (terrain, map, satellite, and hybrid).
• Displays time of radar image either as absolute time or relative to the current time.
• Full screen, portrait, and landscape views.
• GPS locator that finds and displays your current location.
• Adjust the transparency (opacity) of the radar or cloud cover overlays.
• Automatic refresh when new radar or cloud cover data is available.
• Set your location by zip code, city name, or address.
• Legend for radar and cloud cover overlays.
• Saves and restores your last location and zoom level.
Note: Radar coverage only includes the continental United States. Alaska, Hawaii, and other US controlled territories are not included.
Please follow our Twitter stream at twitter.com/shuksansoft for breaking news and status updates.
What's New in Version 1.6.2
iOS 7 bug fixes
Really like this app
This is, without doubt, one of the best radar apps in the App Store. I'm a pilot, and it's very important to me to have access to the latest weather info, including information beyond what most other apps provide. This app most definitely fits the bill. Unlike many of the other weather apps I've used, Radar US allows you to view multiple radar views, like composite, echo tops (very important for pilots!), precipitation totals, and has satellite views and hourly view of future radar. It also lets you customize the appearance of the radar views in many different ways, including a choice of palette. I also use the temperature overlay and storm tracks features.
Best of all, it's very reliable. I haven't ever had a problem with this, and I've had it for several years. As you can tell by this (very long) review I'm a very happy customer. Highly recommend!
Much ado about very little
I've had this app on my iPhone 4s for nearly 2 yrs now. I've tried every available option during clear skies and major snow storms and still this app shows nothing or very little. I verified that I had a strong connection as well, still nothing other than the map displays. I wish I could "return" this app and get my money back. My friend with the same phone had the same experience and deleted it. Even if it's only a couple bucks I hate paying for something that doesn't work and being taken. I use 4 other Wx apps that do WAY more and are much more informative. It's surprising this actually is designed by NOAA people. It's nearly useless to me other than seeing what I already know. I wouldn't waste my money on this one if I were you. Hasn't even been an update since I got this app. What up NOAA??
Could be better
I am an amateur astronomer, so clouds in the sky are something that I pay a lot of attention to. The cloud display is very good, although it could be a lot more recent in its display. Sometimes I see times that the clouds are depicted over an hour in the past. This is not very helpful and I wish there was someway for a more active update of the image.
I would also like to be able to have current fronts displayed on the radar images. This would be very helpful in determining when sky conditions will change for better or worse.
All in all it is a very good app that just needs some refinement.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Oct 02, 2013
- Version: 1.6.2
- Size: 5.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Shuksan Software, LLC
- © Shuksan Software, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.