NOAA SuperRes Radar US - HD Weather Radar and Forecasts
By Shuksan Software, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
An app designed by and for weather enthusiasts, NOAA SuperRes Radar is the only app in that offers access to stunningly beautiful super hi-resolution radar mosaics for the continental US. SuperRes radar has 4 times the resolution of typical weather radar products (250 meters vs 1000 meters), so you will be able to view storm features that can't be viewed in ordinary radar apps. No other app delivers radar mosaics with this kind of accuracy in such an easy to use package.
In addition to SuperRes Level 2 radar, NOAA RadarUS+ offers access to 3 km hourly forecast radar and the following features:
- 3 and 6 day precipitation and pressure forecasts from NOAA weather models
- Temperature overlay
- Snow/mixed precipitation display (only on 1km base reflectivity radar layer)
- 7 day forecasts and current conditions -- just press and hold for a second on the radar map.
- Severe weather (flash flood, tornado, and severe thunderstorm) warnings. Tap on a warning box to display the full warning message from the National Weather Service. Note: these are *not* push alerts. The app must be open to view the warnings.
- Cloud cover and satellite imagery for the continental United States
- Advanced radar layers (echo tops, composite reflectivity, and storm total precipitation).
- Play, pause, and step animations
- Fast zoom in and zoom out
- Choice of radar palettes
- Multiple map styles (terrain, map, satellite, and hybrid)
- Displays time of radar image either as absolute time or relative to the current time
- Full screen, portrait, and landscape views
- GPS locator that finds and displays your current location
- Adjust the transparency (opacity) of the radar or cloud cover overlays
- Radar clutter filtering and smoothing
- Automatic refresh when new radar or cloud cover data is available
- Search for a location by zip code, city name, or address
- Legend for radar and cloud cover overlays
- Saves and restores your last location and zoom level
Note: Radar coverage only includes the continental United States. Alaska, Hawaii, and other US controlled territories are not included.
Please follow our Twitter stream at twitter.com/shuksansoft for breaking news and status updates.
What's New in Version 1.6.2
iOS 8 bug fixes
Very happy with this app
I have to admit, I was originally skeptical about this app. My boyfriend (who is a weather nut) recommended that I get it, but I thought that I wouldn't use it very much. But, I decided to risk a few dollars and bought the app.
Now I think that I use it more than any other app that I own! In fact, I use it almost every day. If you're into outdoor activities, it's really useful. I live in a rainy part of the country (the Pacific Northwest), and it's very helpful to look at this before I go outside. If I'm going out for a run, it's pretty easy to figure out if I'm going to get wet, so I don't have to put on all that uncomfortable rain gear if I don't have to.
It's also really useful when traveling. Not too long ago,I was on a business trip to in the midwest and I could see from the "future radar" that there was a good chance of some nasty weather in the near future. So I kept a closer watch than usual on travel delays and, sure enough, my flight was canceled. I probably would have gone to the airport and been stuck there if I hadn't checked the weather ahead of time.
There's a lot of stuff in the app that I don't understand (there's some documentation, but it could be a little better), but it doesn't really matter because it's already really useful to me. Maybe if I get some time (and with the help of my weather crazed boyfriend) I'll check out some of the other features and update this review.
Reeeealy close to 5 stars, but no cigar...
To be honest, I really love this app, and don't have much to complain about.
HOWEVER...being a typical American, I gotta gripe about something, right?
So, here goes:
1.- Faster loading/updating times would be GREATLY appreciated.
I use this app during severe weather, and waiting for it to update isn't exactly "safe". Makes me wanna pull my hair out.
I know what you're going to say: "During severe weather, you shouldn't be relying on an app, you should be watching storm coverage on TV, or listening to the radio."
But I call BS! I've personally witnessed tornadoes fly halfway over town before the siren went off, while the local radio station aired a Royals baseball game!
That's why I like to be outside, watching the sky, where I can't see the TV.
2.- Please show lightning strikes.
Those are the only two things (in my opinion) keeping it from 5 stars.
Other than that, GREAT app!
This is the only radar I use. I have lived through two tornadoes and am now a paranoid weather watcher. I use this app ALL the time. I especially like the fact that it loads quickly and gives the ability to zoom in all the way to my street. We have had terrible weather in the past two years and I open this app frequently during the middle of the night so I know if we need to take cover or not. Thanks!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Oct 07, 2013
- Version: 1.6.2
- Size: 5.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Shuksan Software, LLC
- © Shuksan Software, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.