Nord Beat 2
By Clavia DMI
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Nord Beat 2 is a 6-track CoreMIDI Step Sequencer for iPad and a perfect companion for the Nord Drum 2 Modeling Percussion Synthesizer.
It can also be used with any external MIDI drum module, synth or sampler (or even other iPads app via Virtual MIDI).
- 8 Patterns
- 3 Velocity levels
- Velocity faders
- Adjustable pattern length (1-16)
- Copy/Paste patterns
- Flexible cueing system
- Step modifiers for Flam, 32th and 32 triplet notes
- Mute button for each track
- Tap Tempo
- Pad mode with velocity zones
- Load/Save song
- MIDI Setup (Channel/Note number)
- Flexible MIDI input/output routing
- Virtual MIDI support
Nord Beat 2 requires a CoreMIDI compatible MIDI interface.
See the Nord Beat app in action with the Nord Drum 2 here:
Please observe that Nord Beat does not produce audio on its own. It is a MIDI sequencer that sends MIDI messages to a CoreMIDI destination.
What's New in Version 2.0.2
* Fixed a bug that could cause songs created in version 1.x to not appear in the Song list.
* Improved iOS7 compatibility
* Minor GUI tweaks
Nice it's free...enter password...fastest download yet...wait...seems no sound here...jazz fingers all over the screen...40 seconds pass...google search...forum found...8 others posting no sound...just learned its midi only....haste sets in...immediate delete decoded...wait...let patience settle in....ok, go back and actually read reviews..oh wait, there are none...hmm...post review...denied...says not enough reviews established to post...try entering 5 stars instead of 1...will this work...re-submit...in hopes of beating the system...try again a 4th time...Copy select all...8 minutes in....re post....
Could be so much more...
I love my Nord Drum 2. This app, while decent, could be SO much more.
1. Add a sound design mode, where you can edit all of the sound parameters (all values can be controlled via MIDI CC, so why not make it easier for producers to tweak sounds? The hardware interface is great, but I'd like to use my iPad to do it all.
2. Allow sysex dumps so that you can save/restore your sounds from your iPad. You have the code for the desktop librarian editor... Just put it in this app. Allow those dumps to be accessible via iTunes file sharing
3. Allow setting the pitch per step.
4. Allow 4-8 MIDI "parameter locks" elektron style for each voice (let the user choose which paramos to sequence) I've controlled the ND2 this way via my machinedrum and it opens up a world of new sounds. A pain to set up though. Native support for it in your app would be a killer feature.
5. More pattern space and/or up to 64 steps.
6. Individual voice track lengths. Because it's 2015.
7. Ability to record from the virtual pads into the sequence. I'm never going to actually perform with the iPad drum pads, but if I could record what I tap into the sequence, that'd be great. On that note, let me record from my actual nord pad into the sequence.
8. The 3 levels of velocity is fine for old school sequencing, but you've made an INCREDIBLY nuanced and subtle sound engine... Let me define the velocity 0-127
If you guys made this a truly pro sequencer/editor for the ND2 I would easily pay $50. I paid that much for Lemur and I have to build the interfaces myself! Offer a deep tool for using the ND2 with no set up on the users part? Absolutely I'd pay top dollar for that.
Easily my favorite drum module around... Teased with a very primitive app that just scratches the surface.
3 stars. My gut said 2 just because there are so many more features that are begging to go in here, but since it's a solid app (no crashes or glitches) 2 is a little unfair.