Not just any old magnetic compass, Northern is a sophisticated navigation tool, combining multiple sources of directional information, displayed side by side. This powerful feature lets users cross validate and compare their results. Our dual compass display is shown alongside Google Maps, providing a single, simple, focused interface, designed from the ground up to more effectively orient users within their environment. More reliably locate North South East and West, or even better, select a destination from our map - Northern will then display an arrow that locks onto these coordinates even while you move from one point to the next.
Northern compass types ...
Compass #1 - GPS Track Compass
- Works on your Apple Watch while your phone is in your pocket
- Uses your GPS to track your path
- Users can select how many samples they want to include with each direction reading - up to 40 for very long paths or as few as 3 for more responsive readings
- Extremely accurate given a strong enough GPS signal and straight enough path
Compass #2 - Magnetic Compass
- More sensitive then the GPS track compass
- Includes hardware accuracy reporting
- Our new pointer mode lets your view your iPhones magnetic compass readings on your Apple Watch
Northern is Great for ...
... wanderers ...
... those with a poor sense of direction ...
... people who like to explore, know where they are, but not necessarily require a fixed rigid set of directions.
Northern uses Google Maps displayed right below our compasses. Users can toggle between terrain, satellite or hybrid modes. We've also integrated Google Places, letting users quickly search for any destination with only a few taps.
Fun sharing features, including a scavenger mode, let users leave scrambled messages for one another - just find the location to unscramble.
Added a new Pointer Mode feature on the Apple Watch
- Displays your iPhone's magnetic compass readings on your paired Apple Watch.
Track Compass Improvements
- Users can switch between lower and higher potential accuracies without loosing each settings associated track locations.
- Users can restore application defaults.
User Interface Design Improvements
- Refined some user interface elements.
3.2.1 Version Changes
- Changed the “reset” button title to “default” under the GPS Track compass's potential accuracy settings.
- Updated Apple Watch instructions. Northern no longer recommends user’s change background location access to “always.” Northern continues to receive location information in the background without “always” selected.
- Fixed a typo in Apple Watch instructions.
Ratings and Reviews
No magnetic compass on Apple Watch
This has a great interface on the phone and purports to allow you to use the compass on the watch. However it only lets you see the directions feature and does not show the simple compass feature on the watch. All i wanted was to be able to look at my watch and see a compass. If improved to show the compass on the watch, would be a great app.
Developer Response ,
Hello fayerbam. We would love it if you could download the latest version of our app. We have put a ton of improvements into the Apple Watch Compass since this review, including your request for a Cardinal Compass displayed on the Apple Watch. Even though there is no magnetometer on the Apple Watch we think that our GPS Track compass and the 6+ months of work developing and testing it deserves a second look and we sincerely hope our improvements this past year make Northern the great app you were hoping for.
Wish it worked on the watch
Pretty disappointed in this app. I was hoping to use it as an easily visible compass on my watch, but no matter what I do to it, it only displays instructions on how to turn on background activity and the “force sleep” screen. And yes, following the instructions on the screen DOES NOT make it go away. The app is nice enough on my phone, but it’s totally useless to me there since I already have maps and compass installed.
Developer Response ,
Please check out our latest update - Version 1.9.9. We believe we have corrected a bug the kept the “Enable Background Mode” from properly toggling on and off on the Apple Watch extension. We are also finishing up testing on our version 2.0 update which has many behind the scenes improvements. We really hope that some of these changes fix or makes it easier to setup the compass and location pointer on your Apple Watch and we hope you give this a second chance as Northern’s Apple Watch integration is far and away our favorite feature!
Best, most accurate, and easy to read compass offered on Apple. Completely simple, as real compass. Just point and you know exactly the direction in which you’re pointing.
Developer Response ,
Hello mck91707, thank you for the positive feedback! It is always helpful to get info from our customers about what’s working (and not working) with our product.
- TreesWithLeaves LLC
- 54.2 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © TreesWithLeaves LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.