By Ginger Labs
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac!
Welcome to Notability, a powerful note-taker to annotate documents, sketch ideas, record lectures, and more, on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
Notability is the one place to create, share, and manage your notes. It combines handwriting, typing, audio recordings, and photos so you can create notes that fit your needs. And with iCloud support, your notes are always available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Anytime. Anywhere.
Take beautiful notes
- Handwrite notes or sketch ideas using gorgeous variable width ink in a variety of colors.
- Craft reports or type outlines with our full featured word processor.
- Audio recordings help you capture every detail during lectures or meetings.
- Snap a photo of a whiteboard in the classroom or while researching in the field to add to your note.
Replay your notes
- Audio recordings automatically link to your notes.
- Review your notes in context as you listen to the audio recordings.
- Simply tap a word, drawing, or a picture to hear exactly what was said when you added it.
- Provide audio and handwritten feedback to students or colleagues.
Mark up documents and forms
- Import and annotate lecture slides, meeting agendas and PDFs.
- Fill-out, sign, and send forms via email from anywhere.
- Use all of Notability’s tools to mark up pictures of worksites or projects.
Share your notes
- Create collections of notes to share between study groups and teams with Dropbox or Google Drive.
- Collect and handout assignments between teachers and students.
- Turn iCloud on, and your notes will automatically be available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
- Create and edit notes on iPhone, iPad, or Mac at anytime.
Notability helps you explore your ideas, store your notes, and improve your memory and organization. We hope you enjoy using it as much as we do.
What's New in Version 5.51
- Bug fixes
- Awesome new import menu to select destination subject and we added a done button.
- Improved image and photo support.
- Bug fixes
good for note-taking, not ideal for annotating
For taking notes or recording lectures, I suggest notability. If you are primarily annotating papers in pdf format, I suggest iAnnotate. Notability is a good app and you can use it to annotate articles, but iAnnotate is much better. When annotating journal article on notability, I was able to backup to dropbox, but Notability does not allow you to manipulate things directly on dropbox. Notability creates another pdf of the document, which results in multiple copies of any single document. iAnnotate allows you to work directly from the original copy of any document. When highlighting phrases in the article, you use your finger to create a line, but it is not "corrected" whereas when highlighting an article on iAnnotate the app "corrects" your highlighting and creates a box around the word, with no ugly/mess overlap. Notability also has blurred pages sometimes when scrolling through a document and you cannot rotate pages individually. That being said, iAnnotate is not very good for taking notes during class or meetings.
Frustrated With Recent Updates
I am in medical school and use this app for all of my notes. I love it, but am very frustrated with the recent updates. I am very upset that they took away the full zoom. I used that all of the time. The app has a feature where you can hold down and get a zoom box, but it is not as good. You can't get to the edges of the page with it, and also the sizing of the box never seems to be quite right for my use cases. I am also still having problems with text boxes. If I grab a corner to try to re-size it seems to move the whole text box and if I grab the top to try to move the box it seems to think that I was trying to re-size. With every update this app seems to get more and more problems. I hope that for the next one they fix these issues and actually make the app better instead of worse. If they did this, I would rate it as 5 stars.
*UPDATE - Still having issues with the text boxes, but they fixed the zoom. Changing my rating to 4 stars. :)
Awesome app! I have tried dozens of handwriting note apps and this is by far the easiest to use with the most features. But here are my top 10 ideas to make it perfect:
1) A PC version that I can use offline. That way I can get rid of OneNote.
2) More Evernote type features such as creating lists with check boxes I can mark complete, scanning receipts for expenses, searchable text from scanned images (ie, business cards, signs, etc), clip items from the web or other apps into specific Notability notes, real time collaboration with other users on specific shared notes, etc.
3) Ability to cut/copy/paste whole pages (one or multiple) between documents.
4) Ability to email just a few selected pages of a document rather than the whole file.
5) Ability to select a page and start a new document with it.
6) The iPhone version of the app doesn't seem to have any way of inserting figures, web clips, stickies, or inserting a new page, bookmarking, moving pages, deleting a page, etc like the iPad version can.
7) A Today widget with shortcuts to my last 3 notes, a shortcut to start a new note, & a search text shortcut.
8) Ability to save backups to iCloud Drive instead of Google Drive or Dropbox.
9) AirPlay for presenting on big screens
10) Passcode lock specific notes, rather than entire subjects.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Mar 14, 2015
- Version: 5.51
- Size: 37.7 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Seller: Ginger Labs, Inc.
- © Ginger Labs, Inc. 2014
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.