By Ginger Labs
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac!
Welcome to Notability, a powerful note-taker to annotate documents, sketch ideas, record lectures, and more, on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
Notability is the one place to create, share, and manage your notes. It combines handwriting, typing, audio recordings, and photos so you can create notes that fit your needs. And with iCloud support, your notes are always available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Anytime. Anywhere.
Take beautiful notes
- Handwrite notes or sketch ideas using gorgeous variable width ink in a variety of colors.
- Craft reports or type outlines with our full featured word processor.
- Audio recordings help you capture every detail during lectures or meetings.
- Snap a photo of a whiteboard in the classroom or while researching in the field to add to your note.
Replay your notes
- Audio recordings automatically link to your notes.
- Review your notes in context as you listen to the audio recordings.
- Simply tap a word, drawing, or a picture to hear exactly what was said when you added it.
- Provide audio and handwritten feedback to students or colleagues.
Mark up documents and forms
- Import and annotate lecture slides, meeting agendas and PDFs.
- Fill-out, sign, and send forms via email from anywhere.
- Use all of Notability’s tools to mark up pictures of worksites or projects.
Share your notes
- Create collections of notes to share between study groups and teams with Dropbox or Google Drive.
- Collect and handout assignments between teachers and students.
- Turn iCloud on, and your notes will automatically be available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
- Create and edit notes on iPhone, iPad, or Mac at anytime.
Notability helps you explore your ideas, store your notes, and improve your memory and organization. We hope you enjoy using it as much as we do.
What's New in Version 5.5
- Awesome new import menu to select destination subject and we added a done button.
- Improved image and photo support.
- Bug fixes
New update problems
I love this app, it's what I've used for all my school notes for the past year now. While there have been common things that have always been annoying, like the naming system that requires the notes to have unique names regardless of folder, the recent update changed a couple things that make it much more difficult for me to take notes. First off, what happened to the zoom? I used to be able to zoom in quite a bit, which is kaka zingy helpful for classes like organic chemistry where I don't want an entire page just to draw out something. The zoom is nowhere near what it was before the update and I find this extremely disappointing. Additionally, my notes have always synced to google drive but it's been seeming to leave out syncing a lot of the time and I have no idea why or how to fix it. The occasional crashes are also quite concerning since it's not enjoyable to lose what you've been typing in addition to falling behind the class's notes.
Organization and Folders
I love notability, and I use it every day for school. All the new updates and bug fixes have been great, but it would be even better if there were folders. There are already subjects and dividers, but a folder would make it easier to organize for different years, semesters, etc. My recommendation is that you create a folder that you can put dividers/subjects in. For example, if a person has subjects and dividers for each class, and they are going into a new grade, they could use a folder to put everything from the year before in, and it still being organized. A folder would be able to hold dividers, which have subjects.
Excellent tool for note-taking, be it hand-written, typed or spoken. Nothing else comes close.
My biggest and only pain is this: Document names need to be unique app-wide, but aren't. This means that I can't have a document called "Agenda Items" in a folder called Staff Meeting and also in a folder called Division Meeting. They conflict and you have to set up some complicated naming convention (like a SM and DM suffixes) to keep the names unique. That's frustrating and shouldn't be happening.
Years ago I already sent this need to the developers who agreed that this would be an excellent addition and that they would put it on the todo list. Two years ???? later, it's still not done. (Insert sad face here!)
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Mar 02, 2015
- Version: 5.5
- Size: 37.7 MB
- Languages: Bokmål, Norwegian, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Ko, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Seller: Ginger Labs, Inc.
- © Ginger Labs, Inc. 2014
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.