By Ginger Labs
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Apple's Mac App of The Year!
Welcome to Notability®: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and PDF annotation.
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to take notes, sketch ideas, annotate PDFs, mark-up photos, record lectures, provide audio feedback and more. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note taking experience at school, at home, and at work. And with iCloud, your notes are always up to date.
- Handwrite and sketch with beautiful ink.
- Write smoothly and quickly with zoom-writing.
- Automatic Palm Detection on iPad allows you to write naturally with your hand on the screen, just like pen on paper (Requires iOS 8 or later).
- Notability includes full-featured typing with a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
- Outlines and text boxes help you quickly capture and organize ideas.
- The typing UI is uniquely designed on iPhone, iPad, and Mac for the best typing experience possible.
IMPORT AND ANNOTATE PDFs
- Mark up lecture slides and meeting agendas or complete class assignments.
- Fill-out, sign, and send PDF forms.
- Import doc and ppt files with the help of Google Drive.
AUDIO RECORDINGS: REVIEW AND GIVE FEEDBACK
- Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
- Notes automatically link to recordings, so during playback, you can watch your notes animate along with the recording, or tap them to get to the spot that needs clarifying.
- Teachers can also use these features to provide audio and handwritten feedback to students.
ALL ELECTRONIC WORKFLOW
- Create a paperless classroom -- handout and collect assignments via the cloud.
- Speed-up feedback to students and colleagues using Notability.
- Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
ORGANIZE AND SHARE NOTES
- Create subjects and simply drag notes into them.
- Share your notes via email, AirDrop, printer, Twitter, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box and more.
- iCloud automatically syncs all of your notes to iPad, iPhone, and Mac.
- Dropbox, Google Drive, or Box, can be used to backup your notes in PDF format and are great for archiving or recovery.
We hope you enjoy using Notability, and we look forward to hearing from you.
What's New in Version 5.6.3
Fixed an issue when importing a file and adding it to an existing note.
Additional bug fixes.
Automatic Palm Detection on iPad allows you to write naturally with your hand on the screen, just like pen on paper (Requires iOS 8 or later). This feature is on by default and can be found in Settings.
New typing toolbar on iPhone.
The best notes app for iPad, less so for iPhone
I tried to like this app for iPhone and just couldn't do it. Then I got an iPad Air and it turned out to be a whole different ball game. It's perfect for taking basic notes (which is what I wanted), the only app I have tried that didn't make me go back to using the native Notes app. Bullet lists and basic formatting are super simple. The three programmable format buttons are irreplaceable. And, unlike some of this apps competitors, there is no latency. It is also unbeatable in terms of key word search through a pdf. On the left is the document, on the right is a thumbnail view of all pages containing the term. Both thumbnails and document highlights every instance of the term, a critical feature that is absent in almost all of the top-end iOS pdf readers.
I really only have three complaints: (1) 12 point font shows up as tiny. So you have to increase the font to view comfortably on the iPad and then decrease it when you export as an rtf (this doesn't seem to be an issue when converting to pdf); (2) I don't like visible lines separating the pages during editing and general viewing; and (3) I forgot what this one was, so I guess it must not have been important. Ah, and it would be nice to have justified text...
Great App, missing minor features.
I love Notability for taking class notes! I use it on my iPhone 6+ with a stylus, and the fact that you can back up all your notes to Dropbox is very convenient.
The one thing I've noticed that really gets annoying is that if you zoom in to write while in landscape orientation, the top toolbar disappears and you can't access the eraser and other tools without zooming out. I noticed that the toolbar will stay if you zoom in while in portrait orientation and THEN switch the phone to landscape, which is slightly irritating when taking a lot of notes. Also, it would be nice to have a set of lines and shapes to make notes look nicer, but works pretty well without them.
Overall, Notability is a great app but has potential to be nearly perfect with a couple more features!
Good for notes, bad for integrating work across devices
I spend a lot of my work time reading and marking up PDFs. I had heard good things about this app and was hoping to use it to integrate my work between my iPad and laptop using Dropbox. While the app does have backup to Dropbox capabilities, it creates a separate folder called Notability and all files from this app have to go in there. I would much prefer to have this app mimic my Dropbox file system for better integration. I thought about using this app's file organization system, but it's "folders" only go one level deep. Also, if I imported any files I had marked up on my laptop using another program, they were removed when I tried to see that file in this app. Ultimately, I'm sticking with iAnnotate PDF as it provides a more seamless integration of my work from iPad to laptop.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jun 29, 2015
- Version: 5.6.3
- Size: 49.4 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Seller: Ginger Labs, Inc.
- © Ginger Labs, Inc. 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.