By Ginger Labs
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and annotation.
Apple's Mac App of The Year! Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Recognized by Apple as the Best Selling Paid Productivity app in 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013!
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to take notes, sketch ideas, annotate PDFs, mark-up photos, record lectures, provide audio feedback and more. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note taking experience at school, at home, and at work. And with iCloud, your notes are always up to date.
Notability is designed for Mac
- Quickly create notes by dragging documents, photos, or audio recordings from the desktop and dropping onto the library.
- Enhance notes by dragging photos, audio recordings, and PDFs from the desktop and dropping onto a note.
- Get more done with smart keyboard shortcuts.
- Handwriting and sketches can be scaled, transformed, free and constrained rotated, nudged (with arrow keys), and restyled.
Capture memorable notes with these essential features
- Type reports and outlines in a variety of fonts, sizes, colors and styles.
- Text automatically reflows around images.
- Highlight typed text.
- Handwriting has been fine-tuned to be smooth and expressive using a trackpad or mouse.
- Sketch and write using a variety of colors, line widths, and styles.
- Draw perfectly straight lines by holding the Shift key.
- Record audio during lectures and meetings to capture more detail.
- Import audio recordings from other sources.
Audio Recordings: Review and Give Feedback
- Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
- Notes automatically link to recordings, so during playback, you can watch your notes animate along with the recording, or tap them to get to the spot that needs clarifying.
- Teachers can also use these features to provide audio feedback to students.
Import and Annotate PDFs
- Highlight text and Copy & Paste text in PDFs using the Typing tool.
- Search PDF text.
- Mark up lecture slides and meeting agendas or complete class assignments.
- Fill-out, sign, and send forms.
- Import doc and ppt files with the help of Google Drive.
All Electronic Workflow
- Create a paperless classroom -- handout and collect assignments via the cloud.
- Speed-up feedback to students and colleagues using Notability.
- Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
Organize and Share Notes
- Create subjects and simply drag notes into them.
- Share your notes via email, AirDrop, printer, Dropbox, Google Drive, and more.
- Retrieve recently deleted notes from the Mac OS X Trash.
- iCloud automatically syncs all of your notes to iPad, iPhone, and Mac.
- Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive can be used to backup your notes and are great for archiving or recovery.
We hope you enjoy using Notability, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
What's New in Version 2.7.2
*** What's new in 2.7.2 ***
* Fixed a crash when opening the iCloud version history
* Removed the incorrect black background when resolving iCloud conflicts
* Fixed a problem where the color picker would be inactive the first time it was used
* The text box now has focus when creating new subjects and dividers
Increasingly a frustrating experience.
As a stand-alone iPad app for highlighting PDFs, it’s great. But if you’d like to sync with your Mac version of Notability to facilitate typing notes, you’re out of luck. Years later, there are still major issues with device syncing. I’ve duplicated my entire set of notes (thousands) multiple times in my efforts to re-sync between devices, and there is no way to identify and delete these duplicates other than clicking and deleting one-by-one. Sure, they put steps on their website to work around the issue, but who has time to reset and redownload thousands of notes between devices with every single use? Customers have pointed out the numerous features that would enhance the usability of the apps - e.g. ability to rotate a document within the app, straighter highliter feature on the desktop similar to what’s on the iPad version, and the numerous suggestions seen below. It’s become abundantly clear that Ginger Labs is resting on the initial fame of Notability and decided “good enough” - there has been little to no progress made in the past several years. Either they lack the staffing or motivation to make ongoing improvements that are necessary from making this app obsolete.
I lost a good 15 minutes of notes
This app is an essential at my school (unfortunately). Usually, I like it. It works best on iPads, and using a stylus makes for a fantastic note-taking experience. However, on Macs, it’s garbage. I type out my history notes in Notability on my MacBook. If I click away from my note too soon, and it hasn’t synced, I end up losing tons of valuable notes. It’s a waste of time to have to re-type them, and there should be a setting to be able to change how often it automatically saves your notes. I’m so tired of the frustration that the Mac edition of Notability has caused, and I definitely wouldn’t use it if I didn’t have to for school. Overall, if you’re somehow roped into using this, don’t click away from notes too soon, whatever you do.
Can’t Select Small Things and Move Them
I use this program for writing a LOT of equations and regularly need to move around individual symbols. I do my writing on my iPad, but do a lot of editing on my computer where writing is extremely difficult with a mouse. For this reason, I need to copy and paste individual symbols which Notability doesn’t allow you to do! In order to select an area it must be at least the size of a few normal size characters, and for what reason?
PLEASE allow the selection area to be smaller so I can select the areas I want without a huge headache. Otherwise the app is great, but this has gone on too long and been too painful for me to give a good review at this point in time.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Oct 12, 2017
- Version: 2.7.2
- Size: 34.0 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Ginger Labs, Inc.
- © 2017 Ginger Labs, Inc.
Compatibility: OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor