By Ginger Labs
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Apple's Mac App of The Year! Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Recognized by Apple as the Best Selling Paid Productivity app in 2015, 2014, and 2013!
Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and annotation.
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to take notes, sketch ideas, annotate PDFs, mark-up photos, record lectures, provide audio feedback and more. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note taking experience at school, at home, and at work. And with iCloud, your notes are always up to date.
Notability is designed for Mac
- Quickly create notes by dragging documents, photos, or audio recordings from the desktop and dropping onto the library.
- Enhance notes by dragging photos, audio recordings, and PDFs from the desktop and dropping onto a note.
- Get more done with smart keyboard shortcuts.
- Handwriting and sketches can be scaled, transformed, free and constrained rotated, nudged (with arrow keys), and restyled.
Capture memorable notes with these essential features
- Type reports and outlines in a variety of fonts, sizes, colors and styles.
- Text automatically reflows around images.
- Highlight typed text.
- Handwriting has been fine-tuned to be smooth and expressive using a trackpad or mouse.
- Sketch and write using a variety of colors, line widths, and styles.
- Record audio during lectures and meetings to capture more detail.
- Import audio recordings from other sources.
Audio Recordings: Review and Give Feedback
- Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
- Notes automatically link to recordings, so during playback, you can watch your notes animate along with the recording, or tap them to get to the spot that needs clarifying.
- Teachers can also use these features to provide audio feedback to students.
Import and Annotate PDFs
- Highlight, Copy & Paste, and Search PDF text.
- Mark up lecture slides and meeting agendas or complete class assignments.
- Fill-out, sign, and send forms.
- Import doc and ppt files with the help of Google Drive.
All Electronic Workflow
- Create a paperless classroom -- handout and collect assignments via the cloud.
- Speed-up feedback to students and colleagues using Notability.
- Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
Organize and Share Notes
- Create subjects and simply drag notes into them.
- Share your notes via email, AirDrop, printer, Dropbox, Google Drive, and more.
- Retrieve recently deleted notes from the Mac OS X Trash.
- iCloud automatically syncs all of your notes to iPad, iPhone, and Mac.
- Dropbox and Google Drive can be used to backup your notes and are great for archiving or recovery.
We hope you enjoy using Notability, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
What's New in Version 2.2.0
- Copy and paste pages into another note.
- Define button for non-English languages.
- Improved Text Box insertion on PDFs.
- Bug fixes.
If you're enjoying Notability, we'd appreciate it if you took the time to leave us a review, thanks!
Vital for the Student! Will Mac have update 6.4.0?
I’ve used notability for a couple of years now, and have been able to see the amazing transformation of the app into better ease and use with each update! When I was first looking for a note-taking app, I tried multiple to see which ones best accommodated the student needs, ease of use, with the organization I liked. Notability definitely won for me — and even moreso, i’m enjoying the mac app as well so my notes are always synced and up to date — which is crucial when you’re a student of any kind, in college, grad school or professional school. With this latest update, i LOVE LOVE LOVE how they incorporated the ability to draw straight lines because in the past, it would drive me nuts to try and draw straight lines in my notes and end up making my notes look like a mess. Even moreso, I’m even more excited about the new colors!!! Yay.
My question now is that, is update 6.4.0 going to be available for the mac? I’ve been waiting to see if I can download it, as I have it on my iphone and iPad already… but I really hope the latest update will revolutionalize the mac version too!
Massive memory drain
Let me preface this by saying that I love the notability app for ipad. I think it is hands down the best way of taking notes on the iPad, and Ive tried a few apps. Notability has an excellent design and features and I’m very happy with it overall. The mac app on the other hand…
I should mention that my macbook pro is a bit older now, it’s best days are definitely behind it now, but it can still run most apps just fine. It might sometimes have a momentary delay or something, but it still runs well enough to work with. All of that changes when I open notability. This app instantly gobbles up half my RAM and slows my whole computer to a crawl. Every click takes about 3 seconds minimum to register, and has a 10% chance of freezing my whole computer, forcing me to do a hard reset. I’ll no longer be using notability on my computer, which is a shame because sometimes it’s more convenient to read my notes on my computer instead of my iPad.
Please fix this devs. This is a great app, but until it stops taking up an obscene amount of memory it’ll be practically unusuable for me, and I’m sure for others as well.
Good but in need of an update.
The iOS version is awesome as you can draw with the stylus and change the style of paper and lining. However these options are unavaliable on the mac version (exclude the stylus features). It would be useful to provide said options as well as two view multiple page of notes as once. The syncing works great but it would be nice to look at a past history of alterations if need be to revert back to those versions. Another thing I’ve been noticing is that the iCloud syncing is kind of laggy but there may be many underlying factors as to why that happens. What I find to be very helpful is the organization and simplicity. But my favorite part is being able to write/type and record simultaneously. It is very useful when going back in lectures. Everytime I get in contact witht their support team their responses have been very thorough and they usually respond quickly. The palm rejection is okay, but the good thing is that the zoom feature in handwriting mode can be moved to be placed higher on the screen.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Mar 17, 2016
- Version: 2.2.0
- Size: 26.7 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Seller: Ginger Labs, Inc.
- © 2016 Ginger Labs, Inc.
Compatibility: OS X 10.9 or later, 64-bit processor