By Ginger Labs
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and annotation.
Apple's Mac App of The Year! Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Recognized by Apple as the Best Selling Paid Productivity app in 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013!
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to take notes, sketch ideas, annotate PDFs, mark-up photos, record lectures, provide audio feedback and more. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note taking experience at school, at home, and at work. And with iCloud, your notes are always up to date.
Notability is designed for Mac
- Quickly create notes by dragging documents, photos, or audio recordings from the desktop and dropping onto the library.
- Enhance notes by dragging photos, audio recordings, and PDFs from the desktop and dropping onto a note.
- Get more done with smart keyboard shortcuts.
- Handwriting and sketches can be scaled, transformed, free and constrained rotated, nudged (with arrow keys), and restyled.
Capture memorable notes with these essential features
- Type reports and outlines in a variety of fonts, sizes, colors and styles.
- Text automatically reflows around images.
- Highlight typed text.
- Handwriting has been fine-tuned to be smooth and expressive using a trackpad or mouse.
- Sketch and write using a variety of colors, line widths, and styles.
- Draw perfectly straight lines by holding the Shift key.
- Record audio during lectures and meetings to capture more detail.
- Import audio recordings from other sources.
Audio Recordings: Review and Give Feedback
- Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
- Notes automatically link to recordings, so during playback, you can watch your notes animate along with the recording, or tap them to get to the spot that needs clarifying.
- Teachers can also use these features to provide audio feedback to students.
Import and Annotate PDFs
- Highlight text and Copy & Paste text in PDFs using the Typing tool.
- Search PDF text.
- Mark up lecture slides and meeting agendas or complete class assignments.
- Fill-out, sign, and send forms.
- Import doc and ppt files with the help of Google Drive.
All Electronic Workflow
- Create a paperless classroom -- handout and collect assignments via the cloud.
- Speed-up feedback to students and colleagues using Notability.
- Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
Organize and Share Notes
- Create subjects and simply drag notes into them.
- Share your notes via email, AirDrop, printer, Dropbox, Google Drive, and more.
- Retrieve recently deleted notes from the Mac OS X Trash.
- iCloud automatically syncs all of your notes to iPad, iPhone, and Mac.
- Dropbox and Google Drive can be used to backup your notes and are great for archiving or recovery.
We hope you enjoy using Notability, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
What's New in Version 2.3.1
- Fixed an issue that could cause Notability to use an excessive amount of memory.
- Bug fixes.
If you're enjoying Notability, we'd appreciate it if you took the time to leave us a review, thanks!
Features masked by scrolling glitch
Update to previous review: The app contiues to bug when scrolling. Scrolling through a document suddenly jumps to the very first page. This is extremely annoying, especially when scrolling through large documents that have 100+ pages. Any of the other benefits of the app are lost due to its continued problems. I thought with the most recent update it would be fixed but it is not. This is even after all the troubleshooting I could possibly do. When they fix the scrolling glitch once and for all, then I would be able to give a a 4/5.
I am a first-year medical student and have been using this app through undergrad and into medical school and this is hands down the best note-taking app on the market. In class I would use notability on my computer to highlight handouts and on my iPad at the same time to markup presentations and it was nice being able to use both so easily. After class, everything would sync up and then backup to wherever I wanted it to go. I have tried and tried to find a better note-taking app but you honestly can’t. I love the playback options, with being able to see your notes synced to recorded audio.
My only reason for not giving the app a 5/5 is that I wish they would add gif and/or video support. I am excited for the enhanced PDF support which will make highligting handouts that much easier on the computer version of the app.
Back up options and Sync issues
Like it and uses it almost daily. However, given several other customers reviews mentioning data loss, I am surprised an originally Mac and iOS app does not offer local backup or iCloud Drive backup. The only two options are Dropbox and Google Drive; seriously?
The other issue I have is Sync. It worked very well fo me until I upgraded to a new Mac. When I installed Notability and Synced with iCloud, all my notes and PDF docuents exept all notes in the “Unfiled” category (except one PDF which downloaded fine). There is a place holder for each missing PDF documents and rge app says wait until downloaded, but after long wait nothing downloaded. I disconnected from iCloud and deleted all local files, then rebooted my Mac and reconnected Notability to iCloud, but the same files are still missing. Then I went to an older Mac, launched Notability and found al files were still there.. I diconnected the older Mac from iCloud, but kept the local file, reconnected to iCloud and synced so I had duplicate files and notes. All PDFs (including all the Unfiled” ones were there in Notability on my old Mac. I deleted all the duplicates and went back to the new Mac and tried everything, and I still get the placeholfders for all Unfiled PDF documents (except one). The developer website has no instructions on troubleshooting the app.
The bulit-in “Notes” app on macOS offers iCloud sync, I can organize notes into folders, and — most importantly — I have preset text formatting options for making titles & headings within the note itself.
The only things Notability offers that the built-in Notes app doesn’t is Handwriting & Audio options for notes, and I lose the preset text formatting options. Now I need to manually tweak text size & such in order to create headings & titles. In my mind, note-taking is *usually* done in an environment where information is given quickly (college, meetings, etc). Why on earth are we unable to quickly format text as we go along? This is a $10 app, and I regret my purchase. “Notes” is just as easy to use, and includes quick formatting options to keep things organized. Shoot, OneNote has all of these features and a LOT more, and it’s still free.
Summary: Don’t waste your money. You’re not missing anything important over the free built-in “Notes” app, and if you need more features, “OneNote” is the way to go.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Nov 03, 2016
- Version: 2.3.1
- Size: 29.1 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Ginger Labs, Inc.
- © 2016 Ginger Labs, Inc.
Compatibility: OS X 10.9 or later, 64-bit processor