Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and annotation. Apple's Mac App of The Year! Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac!
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
STREAMLINE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Become fully paper-free, in the classroom, office, and at home.
• Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
• Quickly create and edit notes by dragging and dropping documents, photos, or audio recordings from the desktop.
• Get more done with keyboard shortcuts.
SEARCH AND CONVERT HANDWRITTEN NOTES
• Search for handwritten words from the Library and in the note view in any of our 14 supported languages.
• Convert handwriting to text.
• It all happens on your device, so your information stays private.
SAVE TIME WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Multi-Note lets you open multiple notes at once in new windows.
• Easily access your recently opened notes in the Recent Notes subject.
• Notability includes full-featured, left-aligned typing with a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
• Handwriting has been fine-tuned to be smooth and expressive using a trackpad or mouse.
• Ink can be scaled, transformed, rotated, nudged (with arrow keys), and restyled.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more.
• Annotate imported pictures, lecture slides, and meeting agendas, or complete class assignments.
• Share notes via email, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, and more.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Notes are automatically synced with audio recordings so during playback you can listen to what was happening as you wrote. AUTO-
BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability on iPad, iPhone, and Mac, or to retrieve previous versions of your notes.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, and OneDrive are all supported!
iOS app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
*** What's new in 3.0.1 ***
• Bug fixes
*** What's new in 3.0 ***
This is a major update for Notability! We've added powerful new features: handwriting recognition, handwriting to text conversion, view multiple notes at once in new windows (Multi-Note), quickly open recent notes, and added support for custom fonts.
• Handwriting is now searchable from the Library and within a specific note.
• Handwriting can also be converted to text.
• The first time you launch Notability, your library will be indexed. After that, your handwriting will be searchable! If you have a lot of handwriting, creating the initial index may take a while.
• Multi-Note lets you work with multiple notes side-by-side .
• Open multiple notes in new windows for ultimate productivity.
• Supports audio recording and playback.
• We've added a Recent Notes subject to your Library just below All Notes.
• Recent Notes holds up to 10 of your most recently accessed notes.
• Custom fonts and more default fonts now supported! Fonts populate in Notability based on the device’s locale and preferred languages.
• More fonts available for non-Roman alphabets.
Ratings and Reviews
UPDATED: Works Great
I’m updating this review because of the version 3 update. It now recognizes handwriting very well. I haven’t thoroughly tested it but the problem I had was fixed and seems to be very good. I’m not sure how well the conversion works and if it converts the text and saves it in the note for the iPad version to then be able to search too, but I’ll find out soon.
ORIGINAL REVIEW: I think the app has great potential with a just a small amount of work. The app should match the abilities of the iPad version. The Mac version cannot convert the handwriting to text after it’s selected like you can do on the iPad. If you can it’s not obvious. It would also be nice if you could right click on the pictures that were taken with the program and save them as a JPG. The option now is to copy it to the clipboard, open it in another program such as Preview and then save. It seems to be a poor workaround.
It does sync very well with iCloud and I found it backs up just fine to Dropbox (iPad version). It will only allow one device on your account to back up. I’m not sure why unless it considers a backup just another sync.
Serious issues persist
Well, I have been using this app for almost two years, and while it has nice basic functions and syncs very well using iCloud, it continues to have serious issues.
1. It does not accept Word, powerpoint, or other documents without having to convert via Google Drive. Seriously? DevonThink and KeepIt both ausome note taking and document archiving apps also sync very well with iCloud, but do not need a document conversion (accept any kind of documents and store them in the native format). Theyt aslo provide encryption.
2. As in previous vecsions, you can have automatic back up to several third party cloud services but not to iCloud or to the local hard drive. Why?
3. Printing a note written in Notability does not show the note title, and stretcheds almost to the margins.
In short, I am very disappointed with the lack of serious improvements with this version 3.0. It is now on my list of unuseful apps to delete.
Notability has improved year-over-year. I frequently use this application on both my Desktop Mac and my iPad. I can now search my hand writing flawlessly on both operating systems. Thank you for the great product. I am excited to see what else Notability can offer in the future.
- Ginger Labs, Inc.
- 73.8 MB
- English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Ginger Labs, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.