A handy application with speech to text translation for deaf people, allowing a deaf person to write a note for a hearing person. This note will be displayed in large type and will be clearly visible on the device screen. This application allows a deaf person to talk with a hearing person, passing the phone to each other.
The application has a very useful feature for translating speech into text, which comes in handy in two cases:
1. When a deaf person and a hearing person pass each other the phone during a conversation, a hearing person presses the Listen button. When he or she speaks, the app translates the speech into text, displaying the message on the device screen.
2. A deaf person can direct the phone or a connected external microphone toward a hearing person, press the Listen button and listen to what the hearing person says to the deaf person.
From customer's reviews:
by scenicbrook - Version 1.0 - Jun 20, 2013
I am a deaf person and this application is great!! I can hand my phone to anyone, they speak into the phone and it converts the speach to text. I read lips and find it very helpful in restaurants where lip reading is very difficult.
Nora Taylor on Jun 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I love that I can chat to my deaf father without having to constantly scribble things down
You must be ONLINE to use speech to text feature!
Supported languages for speech to text translation:
English - US
The app uses the language appropriate to the settings of your device.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app for RNs to communicate with hearing impaired patients
Today I provided emergency nursing care for a patient that is hearing impaired. The hospital's ASL interpreter was not readily available...the patient used this app to communicate with me and the physician. I was impressed with the accuracy in translation from voice to text. I now have downloaded the app.
I have attempted to use the app numerous times and have never had it operate successfully for more than two or three words, it is difficult to observe the screen when talking because if you hold the phone more than 3 inches from your mouth an error message comes on stating insufficient volume. This is a wonderful tool but needs more more work.
Can you dictate punctuation?
I would give five stars if I could figure out how to put periods at the end of my spoken sentences
- Vasily Kiryakov
- 7 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © Vasily Kiryakov
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.