Notebooks 8 - Write and Process Documents. Store and Organize Files. Manage Tasks and Projects.
By Alfons Schmid
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Notebooks provides you with convenient ways to store and organize your documents, quickly write down notes or carefully create beautiful documents, and manage your tasks and projects. It also converts documents to PDF or produces eBooks with just a few taps. So if you are looking for a single app than can handle all your writings, minutes, tasks and documents, you need to have Notebooks on your iPad and iPhone today.
What you might be able do in a handful of unrelated apps, or what you can try to achieve in a collection of paper based notebooks, you can easily do in Notebooks, which fuses the power of multiple apps. This is what it combines:
• Text Editor and Note Taker
• Word Processor
• Markdown Composer
• HTML to Markdown Converter (Markdownify)
• Task Manager and Reminder
• File Storage and Organizer
• Voice Recorder
• Clipboard Manager
• PDF Converter
• PDF Reader (in app purchase)
• eBook Creator
Its robust Dropbox and WebDAV synchronization options make it easy to share your collections of documents not only across multiple iOS devices, but also with your Mac or PC. Dedicated desktop versions of Notebooks can seamlessly pick up your work exactly where you left it on your iPhone or iPad.
What Users Say
"Notebooks is my workhorse. I use it every day and all day to manage all my business and personal stuff. It has replaced my daybook and project notebooks entirely - and done so with efficiency and style. It's still the best!"
“Notebooks is a wonderful App, which is so much better than the dozen other note apps I tried. It is sophisticated, in an unassuming way, so that you find yourself greatly rewarded and being productive without sacrificing time/effort to the App. I cannot tell you how much productivity I have gained. I am having a huge amount of fun, I use it constantly, more than the phone on my iPhone in fact."
“You are GTD in every way that makes it efficient and makes me efficient.”
Some More Detail
- Notebooks allows you to conveniently write, capture and organize your ideas, notes, reminders, journals, diaries or details of life that you want to keep close at hand. If you need to take an important note, or search for one, you'll always have the ultimate notebook at your fingertips.
- Notebooks stores and displays almost any document you want to carry with you: text and HTML, PDF, MS Office or iWork documents, web pages, photos, videos, music and even your Palm memos. Everything you would usually print out and file you can put directly into Notebooks, without adding bulk.
- Notebooks also keeps your task lists and lets you tick off your to-dos as you complete them. You can divide your projects into nested sub projects, which makes them easier to handle, and with Notebooks' links you can cross-reference to documents which may be stored elsewhere in Notebooks. When a task reaches its due date, Notebooks' badge on the home screen reminds you of pending business, and an optional acoustic alert tries to draw your attention.
- Notebooks provides tools to further process your documents; you can convert them to PDF or turn them into eBooks, but you can also merge multiple documents into one, or split meeting minutes into separate tasks and route them directly into your inbox.
Whether you want to draft a business presentation, type a chapter of your short-story, save web pages to read later, write an entry in your diary or journal, tick off your tasks, or just capture notes and ideas on the go, you need to have Notebooks today.
For more information, please visit our website.
If you experience any problems or issues, please contact us by mail. Your feedback helps us improve Notebooks. Thank you!
What's New in Version 8.2.1
- Improves support for iOS 9 Multitasking/Split View. *)
- Fixes multiple minor issues on iOS 9.
- Restores compatibility with iOS 7.
- Addresses an issue when restoring inApp purchases.
- Corrects a problem when sending tasks to Todoist.
- Addresses an issue in situations when locking Notebooks hides the current book (iPad).
- When creating eBooks, missing header levels are automatically replaced to guarantee valid ePub format.
- Addresses a situation where annotations in PDF documents were not correctly saved.
- Keyboard no longer overlaps the menu of timestamps (iPhone).
*) On some devices you might still observe a glitch or two, but they are non destructive, and we are working on them.
I was asked by Notebook to review the new version. I usually bypass those requests in order to get to work, but I really appreciate how well this app works, so I took time out to go to the App Store to write the review. I saw one that says it's a "Crash Machine" and I was alarmed. Perhaps I hadn't really tried out v.8?
So I went back to the app, wrote for 2 solid hours in a distraction free environment on my old iPad on which it seems like EVERYTHING has been crashing lately. But Notebook was solid as a rock.
It is the same smooth, easy-to-use writing app that gets out of the way when you are writing and makes it easy to get your writing where you want it to go. Stores it in simple, clear ways so you can get back to it when you want to.
It's a 5-star app in a 3-star world.
Useful, but back up your data!
I use Notebooks for all my note-taking and information-collecting needs. There is no end to the amount of text, web pages, photos etc. that you can collect and organize. I like that my info is automatically backed up to my linked DropBox account, but BEWARE! If you don't back up your data to another site, NoteBooks can also DELETE files that you want to keep. And it will delete from ALL your devices AND your online backup if you don't have an independent copy on your computer. I have lost valuable data this way (I suspect it happened when I "upgraded" from an older version that was no longer supported) and it cannot be replaced. This goes for any app using cloud services! There is no substitute for an independent backup.
NOTEBOOKS IS A CRASH MACHINE
NOTEBOOKS IS A CRASH MACHINE, so I had to move on to a different company's app! Alfons Schmid's Notebooks used to be my main writing space, but now it only crashes with version 8.
I was suckered into paying to move to this latest and greatest. I was so looking forward to having two open docs side-by-side, but the crashing means I haven't been able to use that even once. This app used to be a reliable app, but now it is impossible for me to use on an iPad 4 running iOS 9 and other devices.
I also kept installed the next-to-the-last version of Notebooks, in case there were "testing pains" for the newest version. Unfortunately, while I can at least open documents and read them in that backup, it crashes as soon as I edit a document.
It's a good thing I use Dropbox sync for Notebooks, so I haven't lost my data. I also can use something like the venerable Droptext by Kevin Smith to do minor updates to this effectively "archived data silo" called Notebooks.
Have you been forced to move on, too? Check out the astounding Editorial app. It has revolutionary "diff" capabilities, to look at your document's Dropbox history in more than one way. This is super powerful when needing to recover from a disadvantageous edit.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jan 11, 2016
- Version: 8.2.1
- Size: 29.7 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Alfons Schmid
- © 2008-2016 Alfons Schmid
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- PDF Reader$3.99