By NOTION Music, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
AS FEATURED IN APPLE ADS
Notion is a notation editor and playback tool for your iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch, (any iOS8 compatible device) giving you the convenience of an easy-to-use music creation tool right at your fingertips. An incredible composition app for any music lover, Notion gives you the ability to compose, edit, and playback scores using real audio samples performed by The London Symphony Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road Studios. You can capture your musical ideas anytime, and take this helpful application anywhere.
With a user-friendly interface and simple interactive piano keyboard, fretboard, and drum pad; Notion makes it easy to get started composing your music. And, with Notion's abundance of advanced functions you can take your most basic ideas to an entirely new level right on your iOS device.
In addition to the notation editor you can also hear your music performed with real audio samples, giving you the most realistic playback possible. Notion comes bundled with piano and orchestral samples recorded by The London Symphony Orchestra at Abbey Road Studios as well as popular instruments such as guitar, bass, and much more. The initial app download contains piano - you can then manage which of the bundled sounds to have on your device, or keep in the cloud, just tap on Sounds.
Begin your project by using the simple score setup tool or choose a template. You can also open MusicXML, Guitar Pro, and MIDI files. You can continue to alter your score and playback using a palette full of articulations, expressions, and dynamics. Or create the perfect balance using the full-featured multi-track mixer with effects.
Once you are happy with your creation you can share your work by emailing the Notion file. Or you can send MIDI or MusicXML files, or send an audio or PDF file. You can sync your scores across devices, and with Notion for Windows and Mac, by using iCloud and Dropbox.
- Enter, edit, and playback notation, tab, or both
- Orchestral samples by The London Symphony Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road Studios.
- Piano, keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric bass
- MIDI step-time entry with your favorite MIDI device
- Record real-time MIDI input into your score.
- Audition Mode: Use the on-screen virtual instruments to hear sounds before entering them into your score.
- Clean and intuitive user interface
- Support for retina display
- Native 64-bit support
- Option to tap in notes with finger or stylus
- Interactive piano keyboard, 24-fret guitar fretboard and drumpad for step, and realtime, entry
- Quick and simple selection palette
- Distortion and reverb effects
- Full audio mixer
- Full range of orchestral functions and articulations including: Staccato, Flutter tongues, Trills, Vibrato, and much more…
- Full range of guitar functions and articulations including: bends, vibrato, slides, hammer on, pull off, mutes, whammy bar techniques, bass slap, harmonics, and more…
- Drag score items such as dynamics
- Switch Instruments
- Insert text
- Rehearsal Marks
- Chord Symbols and Diagrams
- Rhythm Slashes
- Cross staff beaming for grand staff instruments
- Continuous and Page View
- Quick “Undo” and “Redo” functions
- Chord and melody modes
- Easy delete and erase capabilities
- Enter and edit title and composer information
- Save as an audio file
- Import .notion, MIDI, MusicXML, GuitarPro 3-5 files
- Export/email .notion, PDF, MusicXML, .WAV, AAC or MIDI files
- Sync with iCloud, Dropbox or iTunes File Sharing
- Print to AirPrint enabled printers
- Expand your bundled sound library with in-app purchases
- Help Files
- And much more…
What's New in Version 2.0.129
- Universal app - for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch
- iCloud support
- Redesigned interface
- Quick Access Palette for iPad
- Sounds menu, to manage which sounds are on device, and which are kept in the cloud. The initial app download contains piano - go to Sounds menu to then choose which sounds you want on the device.
- Sort scores by date or name
- Templates tab on launch screen
- Choose new standard staves from Score Setup
- Transposing chords
- Select Special>Chords, for cut/copy and paste
- New language - Sim. Chinese
- Alto, tenor and baritone saxophones, and glockenspiel now available as part of the initial bundle
- 14 new in-app purchase sounds available including ukulele and various brass and woodwind instruments
- New in-app purchase sound bundles available: Jazz Sounds Bundle, Guitar Bundle
- 64-bit support
- Write for all instruments, even if you haven’t purchased the sound
- Instrument names show automatically on parts
- Enhanced font selection and page text editing
- New workflow for setting up a new score
- New page layout controls
- Onscreen keyboard jumps to relative range of selected instrument
- Can start downloads/in-app purchases from part details view in score setup
- Press and hold to rename/duplicate scores on home screen.
- Better initial zoom when loading a score.
- New SATB template file
- Press and hold to rename/duplicate scores on home screen.
- Add chord summary score option.
- When sounds have finished downloading in the background, they will automatically become available in the score you are working on
- Default file name added during setup
- Enharmonic tool moved into Accidentals Palette
- Scores shared with Notion desktop now retain jazz font
- Playback marker now continues during playback in Continuous View
- If Scroll with Entry is off, don’t scroll the score when pressing the next and previous arrows (previously called ‘Auto-Scroll’)
- Add Long Drum and Whistling to the percussion bundle.
- Add some missing or incorrect instrument images.
- Correct some errors in the demo files
- Add in vocal ranges when writing for voice
- Fix not scrolling properly in continuous view during playback when zoomed out
Stupidly difficult to use, wish a refund were possible.
I have no idea what everyone's talking about with the user-friendliness of this app. I consider myself very adept at technology and was looking for an app to go along with Sibelius. I was using a free app for a while which was great and easy but printed things with a water mark on them. I saw that files made on this app could transfer to Sibelius and bought it after reading some great reviews. Setting up a simple leadsheet is etremely complicated, getting the correct amount of measures on a line is impossible, and when you save it creates a completely new file so you're stuck with a million files like "Song Name", "Song Name (1)", "Song Name (1) (1) (1)", and so on. So of course when you go to delete these files to save room, you would expect that the most recent file would have the longest title. Nope. So you've just deleted everything and are stuck with your oldest version, with no way to recover the newest one.
And of course to make it worse none of these issues are listed in the help section. Also I can't find a way to change the tempo, and no sound is made on playback. Also does stupid things like automatically writing an F# as a Gb and makes it stupidly hard to change it. Honestly so terrible and overpriced, 0/10 would not recommend.
Useful app but bad bugs.
This is a very useful app for writing music and the midi instruments sound very realistic compared to others that I've used (even on PC). All the notation tools are great. The latest updates have added an even greater variety of instruments to compose for. However...
THIS APP HAS SOME MAJOR BUGS. PLEASE FIX!!! I am constantly running into problems when editing and listening to my compositions. There is some sort of memory error or something that occurs because the app will quite frequently glitch and rest back to an older version of the composition I'm working on. This makes it very hard to use. It would be great if you could fix this since I spent 30 bucks on getting all the midi instruments. It didn't use to do this. This is only happening with the new updated version of the app.
Best iOS notation app, but some big holes
I love this app and I use it for all my composition and arranging. It lacks quite a few things that I have on desktop apps, but it is just so much more fun to use the iPad that I ignore what's missing.
Here is a short list of grapes, but again, notion is far superior and elegant compared to anything else available on iOS (I have tried them all.)
I wish notion would provide a folder structure for organizing files: The flat list is very unwieldy. I wish notion would provide midi output for playback, but I guess that would not allow them to sell so many sounds that way. I think they have been working hard to improve copying and pasting specific elements like chords, but it is still not practically functional.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Jul 29, 2015
- Version: 2.0.129
- Size: 136 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Notion Music, Inc.
- © PreSonus Audio Electronics, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- All Bundle$29.99
- Alto Sax $0.99
- Classical guitar $0.99
- Tenor Sax $0.99
- Harp $0.99
- Jazz Alto Sax $0.99
- Jazz Tenor Sax $0.99
- Jazz Bass $0.99
- Percussion Bundle $4.99
- Baritone Sax $0.99