By NOTION Music, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
AS FEATURED IN APPLE ADS
Notion is a notation editor and playback tool for your iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch, (any iOS8 compatible device) giving you the convenience of an easy-to-use music creation tool right at your fingertips. An incredible composition app for any music lover, Notion gives you the ability to compose, edit, and playback scores using real audio samples performed by The London Symphony Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road Studios. You can capture your musical ideas anytime, and take this helpful application anywhere. Plus you can share your files with Notion 6 for Mac or Windows.
With a user-friendly interface and simple interactive piano keyboard, fretboard, and drum pad; Notion makes it easy to get started composing your music. And, with Notion's abundance of advanced functions you can take your most basic ideas to an entirely new level right on your iOS device.
In addition to the notation editor you can also hear your music performed with real audio samples, giving you the most realistic playback possible. Notion comes bundled with piano and orchestral samples recorded by The London Symphony Orchestra at Abbey Road Studios as well as popular instruments such as guitar, bass, and much more. The initial app download contains piano - you can then manage which of the bundled sounds to have on your device, or keep in the cloud, just tap on Sounds.
Begin your project by using the simple score setup tool or choose a template. You can also open MusicXML, Guitar Pro, and MIDI files. You can continue to alter your score and playback using a palette full of articulations, expressions, and dynamics. Or create the perfect balance using the full-featured multi-track mixer with effects.
Once you are happy with your creation you can share your work by emailing the Notion file. Or you can send MIDI or MusicXML files, or send an audio or PDF file. You can sync your scores across devices, and with Notion for Windows and Mac, by using iCloud and Dropbox.
- Handwriting in-app purchase for iPad now available
- Enter, edit, and playback notation, tab, or both
- Orchestral samples by The London Symphony Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road Studios.
- Piano, keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric bass
- MIDI step-time entry with your favorite MIDI device or MIDI Bluetooth device
- Record real-time MIDI input into your score.
- Audition Mode: Use the on-screen virtual instruments to hear sounds before entering them into your score.
- Clean and intuitive user interface
- Support for retina display
- Native 64-bit support
- Option to tap in notes with finger or stylus
- Interactive piano keyboard, 24-fret guitar fretboard and drumpad for step, and realtime, entry
- Quick and simple selection palette
- Distortion and reverb effects
- Full audio mixer
- Full range of orchestral functions and articulations including: Staccato, Flutter tongues, Trills, Vibrato, and much more…
- Full range of guitar functions and articulations including: bends, vibrato, slides, hammer on, pull off, mutes, whammy bar techniques, bass slap, harmonics, and more…
- Drag score items such as dynamics
- Switch Instruments
- Insert text
- Rehearsal Marks
- Chord Symbols and Diagrams
- Rhythm Slashes
- Cross staff beaming for grand staff instruments
- Continuous and Page View
- Quick “Undo” and “Redo” functions
- Chord and melody modes
- Easy delete and erase capabilities
- Enter and edit title and composer information
- Save as an audio file
- Import .notion, MIDI, MusicXML, GuitarPro 3-5 files
- Export/email .notion, PDF, MusicXML, .WAV, AAC or MIDI files
- Sync with iCloud, Dropbox or iTunes File Sharing
- Print to AirPrint enabled printers
- Expand your bundled sound library with in-app purchases
- Help Files
- And much more…
What's New in Version 2.0.164
Fix issue when tapping Restore Purchases
Too many bugs
The app is great and is definitely one of my favorites, but there are too many annoying problems. 1) When converting scores to music xml or midi files, all of the accents, articulations, dynamics, crescendos, and other stuff gets removed, which nearly makes xml and midi export useless. 2) There are glitches that make adding titles, headings, and footers very tedious. When you tap to change a credit or text, it often doesn't even edit the one that you selected, which gets very annoying when it happens a lot. Also, when adding a subtitle, it doesn't get aligned exactly in the middle. 3) When in print view, sometimes it will randomly push me back a few pages whenever I make an edit. It's not that big of a deal, but it can get frustrating. These are all small bugs, but they're also very annoying, as they happen frequently. Would give this app five stars if all of the above problems get fixed, especially the xml and midi export bugs. Still a great app though, aside from all the bugs, but would really like to see a lot of fixes in the next update.
Love it for input, but some bugs have to be worked around.
I've been using Notion for awhile now and they continue to improve the app. I love the choice of voices which I find to be the best in the business for the price. Most of the bugs have work arounds, but this does not mean more must be done.
When using handwriting:
When two notes are put on ledger lines, any other input written in that measure will cause the note to shift positions to higher ledger lines. To prevent this write the notes on the staff until the measure is complete then move the notes manually to their position. It's a pain, but better then continuously moving them.
Dotted notes have a similar problem. After a dot if any other input is written, the dot will first go to a double dot, then to no dot. The work around is to wait until all notes are written in that measure and then add the dots. Again a pain.
The writing feature will stop working when trying to change clefs. It is easier for me to enter the information an octave lower (or higher) or, writing them with ledger lines at pitch then waiting until the piece if finished to enter the correct clef.
Other than these bugs, I really enjoy the simplicity of this app. Getting used to the handwriting feature takes a bit of time, but I am now able to write an entire measure of complex music in only a few seconds.
It's great for the price.
Worth every penny. I've been transcribing popular tunes for a 4 piece and this gives me everything I need from multi instrument scores to basic lead sheets. The ability to have a fretboard or keyboard or notate directly to the staff is a great feature. And to be able to hear it with instruments as you are writing? Wow. Two things I wish it had, (or I have not found it yet), is one, the ability to organize how many bars per line for print, and two a B3 organ in the instruments to choose from. I want the ability to choose if I want 3 or 5 bars on a line. I like codas and second endings and the like to be on the left of the page if I can.. But for under $20 bucks are you kidding me? This is absolutely awesome. It's not perfect but as a value and because it's so easy to use it far exceeds other programs that I paid hundreds for.. I mean really, it's $20 bucks.. crazy
- Category: Music
- Updated: Dec 11, 2016
- Version: 2.0.164
- Size: 201 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Notion Music, Inc.
- © PreSonus Audio Electronics, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- All Sounds Bundle$29.99
- Classical guitar $0.99
- Alto Sax $0.99
- Harp $0.99
- Percussion Bundle $4.99
- Tenor Sax $0.99
- Jazz Bass $0.99
- Jazz Alto Sax $0.99
- Jazz Tenor Sax $0.99