By NOTION Music, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
With over five years in the App Store, Notion is a best-selling music notation app for iPad and iPhone. Notion has been featured in various Apple campaigns including the 2014 YourVerse television commercials and has won several awards, most recently a prestigious music industry NAMM TEC Award for Best Smartphone/Tablet App.
Notion is a notation editor and playback tool for your iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch, (any iOS8 compatible device) giving you the convenience of an easy-to-use music creation tool right at your fingertips—and you can sync your music files across multiple devices! With a user-friendly interface and simple interactive piano keyboard, fretboard, and drum pad, and even optional handwriting recognition, Notion makes it easy to get started composing your music. And, with Notion's abundance of advanced functions you can take your most basic ideas to an entirely new level right on your iOS device or share with Notion 6 for Mac or Windows.
You can also hear your music performed with the most realistic playback possible, using real audio samples performed by The London Symphony Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road Studios. Notion comes bundled with piano and orchestral samples as well as popular instruments such as guitar, bass, and much more. The initial app download contains piano - you can then manage which of the bundled sounds to have on your device, or keep in the cloud, just tap on Sounds. Once you have the sounds, you can create the perfect balance using the full-featured multi-track mixer with effects.
Once you are happy with your creation you can share the Notion file, or MIDI, MusicXML, PDF or audio files. Share files with other apps on your device, or with AirDrop using the Send To.. feature. Print via AirPrint, e-mail from the app, or send the audio directly to your SoundCloud account. You can automatically sync your scores across devices, and with Notion 6 for Windows and Mac, by using iCloud and Dropbox.
- Handwriting in-app purchase for iPad now available
- Enter, edit, and playback notation, tab, or both
- Notion widget available to open a quick score, or recent scores
- Orchestral samples by The London Symphony Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road Studios.
- Piano, keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric bass
- MIDI step-time entry with your favorite MIDI device or MIDI Bluetooth device
- Record real-time MIDI input into your score.
- Audition Mode: Use the on-screen virtual instruments to hear sounds before entering them into your score.
- Clean and intuitive user interface
- Support for retina display
- Native 64-bit support
- Option to tap in notes with finger or stylus
- Interactive piano keyboard, 24-fret guitar fretboard and drumpad for step, and realtime, entry
- Quick and simple selection palette
- Distortion and reverb effects
- Full audio mixer
- Full range of orchestral functions and articulations including: Staccato, Flutter tongues, Trills, Vibrato, and much more…
- Full range of guitar functions and articulations including: bends, vibrato, slides, hammer on, pull off, mutes, whammy bar techniques, bass slap, harmonics, and more…
- Drag score items such as dynamics
- Switch Instruments
- Insert text
- Rehearsal Marks
- Chord Symbols and Diagrams
- Rhythm Slashes
- Cross staff beaming for grand staff instruments
- Continuous and Page View
- Quick “Undo” and “Redo” functions
- Chord and melody modes
- Easy delete and erase capabilities
- Enter and edit title and composer information
- Save as an audio file
- Import .notion, MIDI, MusicXML, GuitarPro 3-5 files
- Export/email .notion, PDF, MusicXML, .WAV, AAC or MIDI files
- Sync with iCloud, Dropbox or iTunes File Sharing
- Print to AirPrint enabled printers
- Expand your bundled sound library with in-app purchases
- Help Files
- And much more…
What's New in Version 2.0.183
Slur control points - now when a slur is selected, you can drag its control points to adjust the start and end points, its placement, and even the curve itself.
Fix not being able to import files from email or other apps
Fix issue introduced by iOS10.3 that meant the cursor would occasionally jump on note entry
Fix an issue that was occasionally resulting in notes not sounding during note entry until pressing play
Update remaining old font selection dialogs
Fix occasional crash when selecting/resizing text boxes
Fix not being able to drag text boxes
Never have I seen developers take every customer review and fix every single problem in the next update Absolutely worth the money. Best composition tool on IOS by far. The MIDI instruments sound absolutely amazing and even beat a lot of computer notation programs. One problem I have with the app is that notes are not always held full length. I'll put 4 whole notes tied together (180 bpm) and the note will end almost 4 beats too early. Other than that issue this app is brilliant and has met my need for a mobile notation application. I would love to see crescendos and forte-pianos in playback in a future update also. Would recommend this app to anyone looking for a casual notation app or even music majors that may not be able to take s computer on the road.
Amazing easy to use composition!
I have been looking forward to getting Notion on the iPad Pro 10.5 and this is so far such an easy to use app! Imlove how intuitive it is. I am impressed about how generally well the handwriting recognition is. Once I get Apple Pencil it will be better i am sure. But this hands down beats doing this on a desktop PC. It is sommuch more natural to use a stylus. I am still learning quirks with handwriting and though it is not 100% the note entry method works very well too!
Recommendation: tie the measure number to the initial measure line. This way when the music scrolls as you listen, the measure numbers will move with their respective measures.
They fixed the Midi import 👍 It would also be useful if they have commenting feature for subsection if the notes. Many of us use this app for performing and it would be nice if we can annotate the notes
My previous 5 stars review when it worked is below:
This is an amazing app. It makes notation easier and you could focus on the actual song writing instead learning how the software works. It took me less than 10 minutes to learn the interface and actually start writing. The touch interface is brilliant and writing song is easier than doing it with the mouse in the desktop. Top notch app!
- Category: Music
- Updated: Jun 07, 2017
- Version: 2.0.183
- Size: 224 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Notion Music, Inc.
- © PreSonus Audio Electronics, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- All Sounds Bundle$29.99
- Classical guitar $0.99
- Harp $0.99
- Alto Sax $0.99
- Percussion Bundle $4.99
- Jazz Bass $0.99
- Jazz Alto Sax $0.99
- Jazz Tenor Sax $0.99
- Marimba $0.99