NPR for iPad
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
***In the App Store Hall of Fame***
Experience NPR as a delightful magazine! The NPR iPad app presents our award-winning storytelling as a seamless mix of audio, text and images in a clean visual design. With a focus on News, Arts & Life, and Music, the app gives you content that’s broad, deep and timely.
It's NPR like you've never seen us before.
- Browse through dozens of Topic "tapes" organized under the main categories of News, Arts & Life, and Music.
- Read stories while listening to live stations or on demand audio.
- Download stories for offline reading.
- Select from hundreds of NPR stories, and stations’ live and on-demand streams.
- Add favorite stories to your playlist.
- Persistent audio player includes one-tap access to your Playlist, Hourly Newscast, Programs and Stations.
- Expanded Station Finder feature lets you find a station by location (GPS) or searching by call letters, zip code, city or state.
- Bookmark your favorite station streams and podcasts.
- Our full-screen program guide provides information about each story and tells you where your favorite programs are playing live now.
- Listen to Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Fresh Air, Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me! and more – anytime, anywhere.
- Bookmark your favorite programs and topics.
***Praise for NPR for iPad***
2012 Webby Award, People's Voice Winner
2012 Communication Arts Interactive Annual Winner
2011 Wired Magazine / Gizmodo App Guide, Editor's Pick
"This is one of those iPad apps where the brilliance is almost invisible, because they just did things the right way. The navigation is intuitive, the design is clean..."
- Communication Arts juror
"This [app] presents public radio's current stories in scrollable rows of news, arts & life, and music...it feels a lot like being immersed in a true multimedia magazine" – Consumer Reports
The NPR for iPad app supports iOS 6 and above.
We love to hear from you! If you need support using the app, wish to report an issue or request a feature, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What's New in Version 2.5
** Special note for our current users**: we apologize for the inconvenience but your playlist and favorite stations will not carry over when you update.
This version supports iOS 6 and above.
* Redesigned story pages now feature videos, slideshows, book lists and more.
* Programs list now includes TED Radio Hour, Ask Me Another and Here & Now from NPR and WBUR.
* Major performance, stability and streaming audio improvements.
* Long-hold to retract/expose the streamlined topic tray on story pages.
* “Now Playing” metadata and artwork displays on lock screen.
* Official compatibility with iOS 6.
* Bug fixes.
* Retina display graphics (finally!).
If you need support using the app, wish to report an issue or request a feature, we would love to hear from you! Please email us at email@example.com
Great functionality, mostly.
Great app, awesome NPR stories and program as always. App works very well and has great functionality like the ability to begin where you left off in long audio programs when restarting your iPad. Although when either scrolling vertically and horizontally it is too easy to mistakenly select a new audio piece to begin playing, especially on an iPad mini. My suggestion would be to only make the speaker icon on an audio piece a touchable link instead of clicking on the entire description box resulting in playing that piece.
I enjoy being able to build a custom list of stories from Morning Edition or All Things Considered after the programs have aired.
Bug report: Underwriting pop up crashes the app 100% of the time. Been happening for months. Reinstalls do not fix.
It's nice for listening to NPR shows on a delayed basis. But I prefer listening live with the app Tune In. It is superior because it has a buffering function allowing you to pause the live stream or rewind it a little bit if you missed something. This would be a welcome enhancement in the NPR app.
Those minor points aside, the NPR app is beautiful and joy to use.
One of my daily stops... works fine.
NPR news app is one of my daily stops, sometimes more than just once. Never had a problem with it. I especially like the ability to call up the current news update (audio) whenever.
Most days I also scan the articles and read at least a few. And all this is over and above that I have my NPR public radio station playing on my radio most of the week except for a few programs that I dislike.
Oh, yes, knee-jerk-liberal that I am!!