NPR for iPad
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
***In the App Store Hall of Fame***
Experience NPR as a delightful magazine! The NPR iPad app presents our award-winning storytelling as a seamless mix of audio, text and images in a clean visual design. With a focus on News, Arts & Life, and Music, the app gives you content that’s broad, deep and timely.
It's NPR like you've never seen us before.
- Browse through dozens of Topic "tapes" organized under the main categories of News, Arts & Life, and Music.
- Read stories while listening to live stations or on demand audio.
- Download stories for offline reading.
- Select from hundreds of NPR stories, and stations’ live and on-demand streams.
- Add favorite stories to your playlist.
- Persistent audio player includes one-tap access to your Playlist, Hourly Newscast, Programs and Stations.
- Expanded Station Finder feature lets you find a station by location (GPS) or searching by call letters, zip code, city or state.
- Bookmark your favorite station streams and podcasts.
- Our full-screen program guide provides information about each story and tells you where your favorite programs are playing live now.
- Listen to Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Fresh Air, Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me! and more – anytime, anywhere.
- Bookmark your favorite programs and topics.
***Praise for NPR for iPad***
2012 Webby Award, People's Voice Winner
2012 Communication Arts Interactive Annual Winner
2011 Wired Magazine / Gizmodo App Guide, Editor's Pick
"This is one of those iPad apps where the brilliance is almost invisible, because they just did things the right way. The navigation is intuitive, the design is clean..."
- Communication Arts juror
"This [app] presents public radio's current stories in scrollable rows of news, arts & life, and music...it feels a lot like being immersed in a true multimedia magazine" – Consumer Reports
The NPR for iPad app supports iOS 7 and above.
We love to hear from you! If you need support using the app, wish to report an issue or request a feature, please email us at email@example.com
What's New in Version 2.5.2
Thank you supporting Public Radio. This update includes bug fixes and stability improvements.
Love this app, wish I could still find live shows
I love this app, and I use it often to listen to NPR shows, especially when I'm traveling and out of broadcast range of my favorite stations.
However, there's a feature that the app used to have that was removed, and I wish they would put it back in: for any given show, you could click a "Find Stations" button, and it would show you all the NPR stations that were currently playing that show. I liked that feature, so (are you listening, NPR?) please bring it back.
I've had no issues with the app crashing. Overall, a great app, highly recommended.
The previous version would crash when I loaded some articles. Even reinstalling did not fix this and it would be the same articles that caused the problem. Well, the latest version “upgraded” that to just being some articles crashing the app, but not always the same ones. Not satisfied with that, apparently the programmers decided that the font size tab really didn’t need to have any items in it. After all, who needs larger text? (I guess the iPhone version was just too simple and elegant to use as a model for the iPad). Unlike one other reviewer, the 8.4 IOS upgrade made no improvement and some other actions can also crash it.
Great news, problematic app
I can't listen much to NPR so rely on online content for its news. I have two issues that have plagued this iPad app for many versions: (1) links do not work - ever; and (2) it refuses to update stories to the latest much of the time. The second issue is really annoying. Usually I can do the double-click trick on the home button, slide to kill the app, and restart to get new content. But even that failed today--I'm still seeing yesterday's news. The iPhone app never has this issue.