NPR for iPad
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
***In the App Store Hall of Fame***
Experience NPR as a delightful magazine! The NPR iPad app presents our award-winning storytelling as a seamless mix of audio, text and images in a clean visual design. With a focus on News, Arts & Life, and Music, the app gives you content that’s broad, deep and timely.
It's NPR like you've never seen us before.
- Browse through dozens of Topic "tapes" organized under the main categories of News, Arts & Life, and Music.
- Read stories while listening to live stations or on demand audio.
- Download stories for offline reading.
- Select from hundreds of NPR stories, and stations’ live and on-demand streams.
- Add favorite stories to your playlist.
- Persistent audio player includes one-tap access to your Playlist, Hourly Newscast, Programs and Stations.
- Expanded Station Finder feature lets you find a station by location (GPS) or searching by call letters, zip code, city or state.
- Bookmark your favorite station streams and podcasts.
- Our full-screen program guide provides information about each story and tells you where your favorite programs are playing live now.
- Listen to Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Fresh Air, Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me! and more – anytime, anywhere.
- Bookmark your favorite programs and topics.
***Praise for NPR for iPad***
2012 Webby Award, People's Voice Winner
2012 Communication Arts Interactive Annual Winner
2011 Wired Magazine / Gizmodo App Guide, Editor's Pick
"This is one of those iPad apps where the brilliance is almost invisible, because they just did things the right way. The navigation is intuitive, the design is clean..."
- Communication Arts juror
"This [app] presents public radio's current stories in scrollable rows of news, arts & life, and music...it feels a lot like being immersed in a true multimedia magazine" – Consumer Reports
The NPR for iPad app supports iOS 8 and above.
What's New in Version 2.5.3
We've improved NPR for iPad's performance on the latest versions of iOS. We've also resolved many of your reported issues with app performance and bugs, specifically around station streaming.
As always, thank you for supporting public radio
The news and stories are great, of course, but my listening experience has been filled with frustration. The concept is good, listen to stories while browsing through more stories, queuing up things to listen to later. The execution is terrible; side-to-side scrolling is difficult, and It is far too easy to accidentally start listening to some story I do not want, interrupting what I was already listing to. Going back means more side-scrolling, and then starting the story over from the beginning.
The best feature is the hourly news update, which is reliable and easy to use.
Good concept, but ...
The app works most of the time. I check it daily for news. Sometimes the thumbnail opens an entirely different news story. Hyperlinks NEVER work. Often, whole sections in the story, quotes, graphics, or text, are referenced and discussed, but omitted. I have to go to the NPR web page to see them. Worst of all, there are often only 1 or 2 stories posted for today, and occasionally no new news at all. Come to think of it, the app is pretty worthless for news.
Latest version still has streaming problems
The latest version of the NPR app for iPad still has streaming problems. Stream for WAMC-FM stops and starts to no end (buffering?). There is no change from previous version. WAMC streams fine from their app/website.