NPR for iPad
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
***In the App Store Hall of Fame***
Experience NPR as a delightful magazine! The NPR iPad app presents our award-winning storytelling as a seamless mix of audio, text and images in a clean visual design. With a focus on News, Arts & Life, and Music, the app gives you content that’s broad, deep and timely.
It's NPR like you've never seen us before.
- Browse through dozens of Topic "tapes" organized under the main categories of News, Arts & Life, and Music.
- Read stories while listening to live stations or on demand audio.
- Download stories for offline reading.
- Select from hundreds of NPR stories, and stations’ live and on-demand streams.
- Add favorite stories to your playlist.
- Persistent audio player includes one-tap access to your Playlist, Hourly Newscast, Programs and Stations.
- Expanded Station Finder feature lets you find a station by location (GPS) or searching by call letters, zip code, city or state.
- Bookmark your favorite station streams and podcasts.
- Our full-screen program guide provides information about each story and tells you where your favorite programs are playing live now.
- Listen to Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Fresh Air, Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me! and more – anytime, anywhere.
- Bookmark your favorite programs and topics.
***Praise for NPR for iPad***
2012 Webby Award, People's Voice Winner
2012 Communication Arts Interactive Annual Winner
2011 Wired Magazine / Gizmodo App Guide, Editor's Pick
"This is one of those iPad apps where the brilliance is almost invisible, because they just did things the right way. The navigation is intuitive, the design is clean..."
- Communication Arts juror
"This [app] presents public radio's current stories in scrollable rows of news, arts & life, and music...it feels a lot like being immersed in a true multimedia magazine" – Consumer Reports
The NPR for iPad app supports iOS 8 and above.
What's New in Version 2.5.3
We've improved NPR for iPad's performance on the latest versions of iOS. We've also resolved many of your reported issues with app performance and bugs, specifically around station streaming.
As always, thank you for supporting public radio
App needs some work
I use the NPR News app on my iPad mostly to listen to my local NPR station or the top of hour news. I read the articles too once in a while and usually when I'm listening to the station in the background. There is no way to refresh the news items/stories on the screen. If it has not done its automatic refresh, clicking on an item can bring up a different story that has now replaced the story you clicked on in its current position. The links to the articles don't seem to work directly from the app. Other than that, I think it's a great app to get the summary of the stories on NPR or to listen to your local NPR station.
My best resource is sadly letting me down.
There is only one place I turn to for reliable news, and it's NPR. The app is part of my daily life and is invaluable to my family and I. It is, however, not very useful at the moment. This is because the app seems to always cut to the ads typically delivered at the start of the app. This trend of interruption while listening, has grown over the last year & cuts vital information from the news one is actually listening to! Fix this please. I really do appreciate the information provided by NPR and it's partners but if I cannot actually absorb this information, the point of the app is moot. I understand that ads are vital to the continuity of the organization but perhaps reduce to ads to less than once every couple of minutes.
Love The App!!
The NPR News APP is my #1 source for news!
I start my day off with NPR News and in the mornings I listen to member stations from all over the country.
I proudly support my member station and the app also help in keeping me up to date on local stories from local member stations where family are.
The app has a few streaming issues with the stations that I hope will be addressed in the next update.
One minor issue though I don’t see away to update the app from the App Store. When you search for it, the store only has version. 2.5.3 there.