Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
One of Apple's Favorite "Great Free iPhone Apps"
The ultimate NPR experience for your iPhone or iPod Touch. Follow local and national news and listen to your favorite NPR stations wherever you are and whenever you want to.
With the NPR News iPhone app, NPR is always on.
- Listen to NPR’s hourly news updates
- Create a playlist of stories
- Hear public radio podcasts on demand
- Read stories while listening to live stations or on demand audio
- Bookmark your favorite stations
- Find stations by location (GPS) or zip code
- Our program guide tells you where your favorite programs are playing live now
- Listen to Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Planet Money, Fresh Air, Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me! and more – anytime, anywhere
If you need support using the app, wish to report an issue or request a feature, we'd love to hear from you! Please email us at email@example.com
What's New in Version 3.9.7
Update 3.9.7 brings the following fixes and updates:
• Fixed: Pesky push notification delivery issue. Make sure you have notifications enabled to get our breaking news alerts
• Fixed: VoiceOver now successfully reads the entirety of every story instead of just the first line
• Fixed: Entering a zip code greater than or less than 5 digits no longer causes the app to crash
• Other minor stability and performance improvements
As always, thank you for supporting public radio
Good but room for improvement
It's great but a couple of changes I'd like to see:
1. Volume slider for the app/ volume normalization...the app is consistently quieter than any other app on my phone. Particularly, this is a problem when using GPS/google maps/Apple maps- while listening in the car I have to really crank up the volume, but then am deafened by the volume of my GPS whenever it has a direction for me!
2. Option to download, say, all of the morning edition news clips for offline listening. This would GREATLY help all of us save data on our mobile plans. As far as I can tell that option isn't in the app, nor is it possible via podcasts etc.
Quality Reporting, App Needs Work
I fell in love with radio because of NPR and the productions of Intelligence Squared, This American Life and anything WBEZ—all setting a high standard for narrative nonfiction.
But the app...I would really like to see the news app take on the design of the NPR One app. NPR One is minimal, sleek, functional and easy to use. I think the news app is long past due for a makeover. If anything, I would like to see it adopt the design work of NPR One.
The content is great, but the app hasn't seen improvement in years. I mostly use it to read the text version of stories. The main page takes far too long to load new stories, the layout doesn't have enough space to display the full headline for many stories, and I frequently encounter stories which are missing figures or sidebar content which is present in the web version, often rendering the article unreadable.