Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
One of Apple's Favorite "Great Free iPhone Apps"
The ultimate NPR experience for your iPhone or iPod Touch. Follow local and national news and listen to your favorite NPR stations wherever you are and whenever you want to.
With the NPR News iPhone app, NPR is always on.
- Listen to NPR’s hourly news updates
- Create a playlist of stories
- Hear public radio podcasts on demand
- Read stories while listening to live stations or on demand audio
- Bookmark your favorite stations
- Find stations by location (GPS) or zip code
- Our program guide tells you where your favorite programs are playing live now
- Listen to Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Planet Money, Fresh Air, Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me! and more – anytime, anywhere
If you need support using the app, wish to report an issue or request a feature, we'd love to hear from you! Please email us at email@example.com
What's New in Version 3.9.7
Update 3.9.7 brings the following fixes and updates:
• Fixed: Pesky push notification delivery issue. Make sure you have notifications enabled to get our breaking news alerts
• Fixed: VoiceOver now successfully reads the entirety of every story instead of just the first line
• Fixed: Entering a zip code greater than or less than 5 digits no longer causes the app to crash
• Other minor stability and performance improvements
As always, thank you for supporting public radio
Love the app, however some minor tweaks might improve it.
Only two things immediately come to mind:
1. If you are listening to a story on your playlist you have to do some hopping in order to get to the correct screen to have the option l to share this particular story. The share button should perhaps be present on all screens in view while listening to the story you wish to share.
2. Once again, regarding the playlist, currently you click the button that says "clear the playlist" then you have to click the button that says "Done". If you leave the playlist screen without having pressed the "Done" button when you return to the playlist screen that but still patiently waiting waiting to be pressed. It can be a bit annoying. It is a bit like having to repeat the same process twice.
I understand the reasoning behind it however if I clear the play list screen, I generally intend to do so, and if I make a mistake I can always add the stories back to my playlist. Overall, however, this is a wonderful app that I use daily.
Good but room for improvement
It's great but a couple of changes I'd like to see:
1. Volume slider for the app/ volume normalization...the app is consistently quieter than any other app on my phone. Particularly, this is a problem when using GPS/google maps/Apple maps- while listening in the car I have to really crank up the volume, but then am deafened by the volume of my GPS whenever it has a direction for me!
2. Option to download, say, all of the morning edition news clips for offline listening. This would GREATLY help all of us save data on our mobile plans. As far as I can tell that option isn't in the app, nor is it possible via podcasts etc.
Great Content, App Needs Fixing.
I use the NPR app to listen to my local affiliate, WABE, pretty much every day at work. The wifi signal there isn't the best and, consequently, the app cuts out. No fault of the app, obviously.
However, the problem arises when I try to reboot the feed. The app gets stuck trying to reconnect to the signal, uselessly, with no way to stop it. This necessitates my having to go to the pre-recorded stories and starting one of those THEN going back to the WABE feed and restarting it fresh. It doesn't sound like a big deal but, try doing this with both hands elbow deep in sausage mix. Annoying!