NRST: Descent Rate & Airport Finder
By Toonsy Net
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
NEW!!! Apple Watch 2 support!!! Even if your phone flies out the window your Watch 2 has full functionality.
Don't miss your airport! Designed for pilots of any size aircraft, this app provides you with bearing and vertical speed required to nearby airports. The following information is shown for destinations:
• Distance from current location
• Field Elevation
• Descent rate required
• Time to Top of Descent (TOD)
• Glide distance delta
Additionally your current speed, course, altitude and vertical speed are displayed. Tapping on the information button, Time to TOD or Target Altitude allows you to customize the desired descent rate.
All data is updated in real time as you fly. You may choose a nearby airport or select an airport by identifier by scrolling down on the airport list. Filter by runway length and surface type and choose any of the following: airports, seaplane bases, heliports, balloon ports and closed airports.
You may optionally provide a glide ratio for your aircraft. The glide distance long or short of the selected airport is then displayed and is conveniently color coded. A positive, green glide delta indicates the glide distance has been estimated to exceed the distance to the airport with a 25% safety margin.
Runway headings, if known, are used to draw runways on the heading indicator. If the magenta arrow is pointed straight up and aligned with a runway then you are headed straight in.
Worldwide airport information is provided by multiple sources. Canada, Europe and all continents are covered! For more information go to ourairports.com/world.html. Database updates are performed daily.
Your location and altitude is provided by your device's location services. If location or altitude is not available that information will not be displayed however you can still search for an airport by identifier. Unfortunately external GPS devices are generally NOT compatible.
You must be moving for course information and the magenta relative bearing arrow to be displayed.
The Watch app has many of the same features and fits on your wrist. See distances to nearby airports or bearing to a selected airport. Frequencies and runway lengths can be seen with a swipe. Glance mode gives you quick access to time until top of descent.
Just like the iPhone and iPad app, the Watch app requires GPS information to locate nearby airports and relative bearing. Additionally, altitude is needed to calculate descent rates. Apple Watch 1 and 2 are supported. Watch 1 requires an iPhone for GPS signal however a Watch 2 has it's own GPS.
Feedback and feature requests are appreciated. Thanks!
Subscription Fine Print
- 1 month FREE trial
- Database Subscription or Apple Watch Subscription is required for new users
- The subscription is for 1 year and updated data is available daily
- The annual subscription is $11.99/year or $17.99/year for Watch
- Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication.
What's New in Version 5.1
The complete database is downloaded to the Apple Watch meaning no phone is needed if your watch has GPS
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Apr 18, 2017
- Version: 5.1
- Size: 64.7 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Toonsy Net
- © 2014 Toonsy Net
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Device and Watch$17.99
- Device Only$11.99
- Early Adopter Device Subscription$0.99
- Early Adopter Device and Watch Bronze$1.99