Number Pieces Basic, by the Math Learning Center
By Clarity Innovations
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Number Pieces Basic helps students develop a deeper understanding of place value while building their computation skills with multi-digit numbers. Students can use the number pieces to represent multi-digit numbers, count, regroup, add, and subtract. The drawing tools allow students to label representations and show their understanding.
Note: Number Pieces, an advanced version of Number Pieces Basic, is also available in the App Store. Number Pieces has additional features for representing larger numbers and multiplication and division concepts.
• Add and manipulate pieces (ones, tens, and hundreds).
• Join pieces in groups of ten or break them apart (e.g., 10 ones into 1 ten and vice versa).
• Choose from three different colors to clearly identify groups or pieces.
• Move, rotate, and duplicate pieces individually or as a group.
• Use the drawing tools to label representations and show understanding.
• Write equations and expressions with the text tool.
For more Number Pieces Basic resources and other apps, visit:
To learn about Bridges in Mathematics, an elementary curriculum that employs visual models like number pieces, visit:
This resource is brought to you by The Math Learning Center, a nonprofit organization dedicated to K-12 education since 1976.
Number Pieces Basic was made possible by a generous donation from Dr. David Moursund.
This app was crafted by Clarity Innovations. We help improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education.
Visit us: www.clarity-innovations.com
What's New in Version 2.0
• Updated look and feel
• Horizontal 10s pieces can now be added directly from the tray, saving time
• Individual and groups of pieces can be duplicated
• Drawing tools expanded with a straight-line pen and additional color selections
• Math text tool added for writing equations and expressions
Has potential but needs work
This app has good tools that give you the awesome ability to break up a ten or hundred block to show regrouping. I can see the potential to use it to model this process for my students. Even better, they could use it independently or in pairs to work through problems.
However, I got stuck repeatedly when it came to alternating between drawing and blocks. For example, when I wanted to write 433-148 and then switch to the blocks I had to click on the calculator function to switch modes. Otherwise when I tried to click on the blocks, I would end up drawing on them.
Also, I wanted an "undo" button. If I accidentally clicked on a blocks pic to break it up, it would make a duplicate and I would have to delete it instead of pressing undo.
Thank you for giving us a free app to make the complicated base 10 process easier to understand for kids, but please make it more intuitive and user friendly!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Feb 14, 2015
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 2.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Clarity Innovations, Inc.
- © 2013 The Math Learning Center
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.