Number Pieces Basic, by the Math Learning Center
By Clarity Innovations
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Number Pieces Basic helps students develop a deeper understanding of place value while building their computation skills with multi-digit numbers. Students can use the number pieces to represent multi-digit numbers, count, regroup, add, and subtract. The drawing tools allow students to label representations and show their understanding.
Note: Number Pieces, an advanced version of Number Pieces Basic, is also available in the App Store. Number Pieces has additional features for representing larger numbers and multiplication and division concepts.
• Add and manipulate pieces (ones, tens, and hundreds).
• Join pieces in groups of ten or break them apart (e.g., 10 ones into 1 ten and vice versa).
• Choose from three different colors to clearly identify groups or pieces.
• Move, rotate, and duplicate pieces individually or as a group.
• Use the drawing tools to label representations and show understanding.
• Write equations and expressions with the text tool.
For more Number Pieces Basic resources and other apps, visit:
To learn about Bridges in Mathematics, an elementary curriculum that employs visual models like number pieces, visit:
This resource is brought to you by The Math Learning Center, a nonprofit organization dedicated to K-12 education since 1976.
Number Pieces Basic was made possible by a generous donation from Dr. David Moursund.
This app was crafted by Clarity Innovations. We help improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education.
Visit us: www.clarity-innovations.com
What's New in Version 2.1.3
New features added to the math text tool:
• When fractions are created using the text tool, they are automatically converted to the stacked fraction format.
• More symbols for writing equations and expressions.
Could be better
I like the idea of this app and some of the features. However, I wish the pieces were smaller when you bring them out onto the whiteboard. When you make the screen smaller it seems like it will work but you are limited to a small space still and can't put pieces on over half of the board. I do love being able to change between 100s, 10s, and 1s. That's a great feature for regrouping in second grade.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jan 19, 2017
- Version: 2.1.3
- Size: 2.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Clarity Innovations, Inc.
- © 2017 The Math Learning Center
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.