Number Pieces, by the Math Learning Center
By Clarity Innovations
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Number Pieces helps students develop a deeper understanding of place value while building their computation skills with multi-digit numbers. Students use the number pieces to represent multi-digit numbers, regroup, add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
This virtual version of the manipulative is an open-ended educational tool, ideal for elementary classrooms and other learning environments that use iPads.
Note: Number Pieces Basic, a simplified version of Number Pieces, is also available in the App Store. Number Pieces Basic is designed for primary students. It has fewer features, putting greater focus on place value, counting, addition, and subtraction.
For more Number Pieces resources and other apps, visit:
• Add and manipulate pieces (ones, tens, and hundreds).
• Join pieces in groups of ten or break them apart (e.g., 10 ones into 1 ten and vice versa).
• Use the expanding edge piece like a measuring tape to show the dimensions of arrays created with the pieces.
• Choose from three different colors to clearly identify groups or pieces.
• Rotate pieces 90 degrees.
• Use the drawing tools to label representations and show understanding.
• Zoom and scroll to work with larger collections of pieces.
To learn about Bridges in Mathematics, an elementary curriculum that employs visual models like Number Pieces, visit:
This resource is brought to you by The Math Learning Center, a nonprofit organization dedicated to K-12 education since 1976. Number Pieces was made possible by a generous donation from Dr. David Moursund.
This app was crafted by Clarity Innovations. We help improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education.
Visit us: www.clarity-innovations.com
What's New in Version 1.1
Edge pieces now have tick marks on both sides so they can work in any orientation.
Great for CPA approach to math instruction and Singapore Math strategies
Thank you for this great app. I use it with my students and share it during staff development opportunities. Would you please create this same kind of app using place value disks too? Thanks!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 23, 2013
- Version: 1.1
- Size: 3.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Clarity Innovations, Inc.
- © 2013 The Math Learning Center
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.