Number Pieces helps students develop a deeper understanding of place value while building their computation skills with multi-digit numbers. Students use the number pieces to represent multi-digit numbers, regroup, add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
Note: Number Pieces Basic, a simplified version of Number Pieces, is also available in the App Store. Number Pieces Basic is designed for primary students. It has fewer features, putting greater focus on place value, counting, addition, and subtraction.
• Add and manipulate pieces (ones, tens, and hundreds).
• Join pieces in groups of ten or break them apart (e.g., 10 ones into 1 ten and vice versa).
• Use the expanding edge piece like a measuring tape to show the dimensions of arrays created with the pieces.
• Choose from three different colors to clearly identify groups or pieces.
• Move, rotate, and duplicate pieces individually or as a group.
• Use the drawing tools to label representations and show understanding.
• Write equations and expressions with the text tool.
• Zoom and scroll to work with larger collections of pieces.
For more Number Pieces resources and other apps, visit:
To learn about Bridges in Mathematics, an elementary curriculum that employs visual models like number pieces, visit:
This resource is brought to you by The Math Learning Center, a nonprofit organization dedicated to K-12 education since 1976.
Number Pieces Basic was made possible by a generous donation from Dr. David Moursund.
This app was crafted by Clarity Innovations. We help improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education.
Visit us: www.clarity-innovations.com
New features added to the math text tool:
• When fractions are created using the text tool, they are automatically converted to the stacked fraction format.
• More symbols for writing equations and expressions.
Ratings and Reviews
This app is best utilized with teacher-based instruction. Students are likely to be somewhat engaged with the application since elements are basic. . The ability to create base ten blocks with the number pieces are not challenging and students are not distracted by any additional frills. However, there is no instruction, or game-like quality for students to do independently so teacher instruction is needed in order for students to understand the purpose of using the app, what they are creating, and what it represents. Additionally, there is no way for a teacher to assess student’s growth or record their progress.
Great for homeschool
I love this free, ad free app! My kids love using the iPad for school, and this math app gives me access to math manipulative that are expensive and hard to store. They can be used with any math curriculum for a variety of grades. This app is also easy to use, colorful but not distracting.
I love having the ability to rotate the base ten blocks, especially when working with division concepts with 2-digit divisors. This is the only virtual manipulative that I have found that has that option! I would love if there was a way to include a thousands cube. This would be especially helpful as we get into decimal place value to the thousandths. Thank you!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.