The New York Times
By The New York Times Company
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Stay up to date wherever you go. Enjoy award-winning journalism with the NYT app for iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch.
• News alerts: Get notified of major developing stories, and tailor alerts to topics of interest
• Multitasking: on an iPad? Get caught up on the day’s headlines while also working in other apps
• Morning & evening briefings: Start and end your day with a tip sheet compiled by Times journalists
• The Daily 360: Watch a new 360 video every day from Times reporters around the world
• Podcasts: Listen to audio series including The Daily and Modern Love
• Save articles to read later on any of your devices
• Customize your list of favorite sections and blogs
• Exclusive videos and award-winning photography
Apple Watch Features:
• Catch up quickly by reading today's headlines.
• Receive alerts when big news breaks.
• Use Handoff to continue reading on your iPhone, or touch Save for Later to build a personal reading list.
The NYT app is free to download, and all users can access a sampling of articles per month, from any section. Subscribers get full access to over 25 sections, plus unlimited access to NYTimes.com, with a Times Digital Subscription.
Subscribe now and your first week is free.*
Digital Subscription Options:
• Basic - unlimited digital access anytime, anywhere, on any device for $14.99 per month or $119.99 per year (save up to $5 per month). Cancel anytime.
• All Access - unlimited digital access anytime, anywhere, on any device plus one bonus digital subscription for $24.99 per month. Cancel anytime.
Your payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Your subscription will automatically renew each month or year 24-hours before the end of the current period, and your credit card will be charged through your iTunes account unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. You can turn off auto-renew at any time from your iTunes account settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Terms of Service: https://www.nytimes.com/content/help/rights/terms/terms-of-service.html
Questions Concerns? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (800) 591-9233. We respond to every inquiry.
* Promotional offers for new subscribers only. Not valid for Digital Access $119.99 per year subscription option. Smartphone and tablet apps are not supported on all devices. NYTimes.com + Smartphone Apps, NYTimes.com + Tablet Apps and Digital Access subscriptions do not include e-reader editions or The New York Times Crossword. Prices shown are in U.S. dollars. Other restrictions apply.
What's New in Version 6.4.1
- Fixes for battery issues, especially on plus devices and iPhone X.
Great paper, app needs improvement
Search function is terrible: search “movie and review” and the top hits are not the most recent movie reviews, tho these are the most relevant hits. In fact, anything with the word “review” comes up, including articles about the Supreme Court. Does the app not know the meaning of the search term “and”?! Good grief! In fact, no movie reviews come up in that search. This should embarrass the app developer. A computer search in 2018 should function (at least as well as one performed in 1998-this app search fails that standard).
Relatedly: I should be able to find ALL NYTimes movie reviews in ONE place, listed either alphabetically or chronologically. Instead, I am lucky to find 2 or 3. There should be a section that is JUST the movie reviews-they have this in the online NYTimes so it should be here, too, especially if the search function can’t find movie reviews (again, embarrassing). (Searching “critics picks” brings up nothing relevant, whereas it should bring up all of the movie reviewers’ “picks”, which the Times actually calls “critics’ picks”)-good grief!.)
I am not writing a general review of the app bc this issue is what I am thinking about right now.
If you still have the old app on your iPad - KEEP IT. This one is terrible.
I have been a reader of the New York Times for a number of years. I had both print and digital subscriptions and up until now had been using the previous NY Times app for the iPad. Since getting a new iPad for Christmas and updating to the latest version of iOS I decided I would switch to the latest incarnation of the NY Times app for the iPad. Big mistake. This new app makes the Times almost unreadable. From the annoying layout to outright bugs (pictures don’t load in an article leaving large gray areas) to the annoying ad placement (ads after every paragraph in a story practically), this is a dud. I’m thinking of ditching my digital subscription and going back to print or just ditching the Times entirely. I can’t believe that this app had any QA testing ever done on it. It certainly never would have made it out the door where I used to work.
Crashes on startup
Update: crashes on startup. Worst so far.
For a few weeks now I've noticed how if I'm using the app while listening to music on headphones, my music will suddenly stop. I tracked it down to some banner ad in the app which makes a brief burst of sound and then mutes itself, interrupting my phone's audio, causing the music to switch to pause (and requiring me to manually unpause my music app each time).
This was annoying enough but today I note other ads in the app which spontaneously open up as full page video without having been clicked, even without having been on screen!
As a paying NYT subscriber, I don't see why the app should contain ads at all, much less buggy, invasive ones that ruin the news reading experience. What's the point of adding a pay wall if you continue with the race to the bottom with advertisements?
Please consider either raising your subscription rates for an ad free version or banning video and audio ads (since you're clearly not able to ensure they are bug free).
In the meantime I'll use Flipboard , who also carry ads but avoid the bugs mentioned above.
- Category: News
- Updated: Dec 21, 2017
- Version: 6.4.1
- Size: 119 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: The New York Times Company (iDP)
- © 2017, The New York Times Company
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- NYTimes.com + Smartphone App$14.99
- All Digital Access$34.99
- All Digital Access$34.99
- Digital Access$14.99
- Basic: Annual$129.99
- All Access$24.99
- Times Insider$44.99
- Digital Access - Annual Offer$119.99