NYTimes – Breaking Politics, National & World News
By The New York Times Company
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Stay up to date wherever you go. Enjoy award-winning journalism with the NYTimes app for iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch.
• News alerts: Get notified of major developing stories, and tailor alerts to topics of interest
• Multitasking: on an iPad? Get caught up on the day’s headlines while also working in other apps
• Morning & evening briefings: Start and end your day with a tip sheet compiled by Times journalists
• The Daily 360: Watch a new 360 video every day from Times reporters around the world
• Podcasts: Listen to audio series including The Daily and Modern Love
• Save articles to read later on any of your devices
• Customize your list of favorite sections and blogs
• Exclusive videos and award-winning photography
Apple Watch Features:
• Catch up quickly by reading today's headlines.
• Receive alerts when big news breaks.
• Use Handoff to continue reading on your iPhone, or touch Save for Later to build a personal reading list.
The NYTimes app is free to download, and all users can access up to 10 free articles per month, from any section. Subscribers get full access to over 25 sections, plus unlimited access to NYTimes.com, with a Times Digital Subscription.
Subscribe now and your first week is free.*
• Digital Access - unlimited digital access anytime, anywhere, on any device for $14.99 per month or $119.99 per year (save up to $5 per month). Cancel anytime.
• Times Insider - unlimited digital access anytime, anywhere, on any device plus one complimentary digital subscription to share for $24.99 per month. Cancel anytime.
• Times Insider members also receive access to the Times Insider blog, TimesTalks videos, TBooks, special Times crosswords and Times Archives from 1851.
Your payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Your subscription will automatically renew each month or year 24-hours before the end of the current period, and your credit card will be charged through your iTunes account unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. You can turn off auto-renew at any time from your iTunes account settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Terms of Service: https://www.nytimes.com/content/help/rights/terms/terms-of-service.html
Questions Concerns? Please contact us at email@example.com or (800) 591-9233. We respond to every inquiry.
* Promotional offers for new subscribers only. Not valid for Digital Access $119.99 per year subscription option. Smartphone and tablet apps are not supported on all devices. NYTimes.com + Smartphone Apps, NYTimes.com + Tablet Apps and Digital Access subscriptions do not include e-reader editions, Times Insider content, or The New York Times Crossword. Prices shown are in U.S. dollars. Other restrictions apply.
What's New in Version 6.0.1
- Small performance enhancements and bug fixes
New update is killing the experience
Articles are loading piecemeal, and not nearly as fast as I read them, so it's taking a lot longer to read. Not one of the 15 or so articles I read today loaded all the way to the bottom without me returning to the top-level section and selecting the story again to reload. This is unfair to the great journalists and writers in the NYTimes since it's already their challenge to keep you reading to the end - no need to make it harder. If I leave the phone for a bit to load, chances are the app will reset me to the homepage. And of course Recently Viewed is gone so good luck finding the story again if it was deeper down than Top Stories. (I note the ads don't seem to have trouble loading?)
I also echo the battery complaints. Phone does get warm and the app now scores about 35-40% of my daily battery usage. Sure I read it a lot but that's not the only thing I read on my phone. I am suddenly unable to get through the day on a single charge, unless I don't use the app.
I really like reading the NYTimes on my phone and I hope the experience is improved. It is becoming tedious and I'm becoming impatient with receiving my news this way. I'm likely to turn to another app without improvements.
Newest update causing phone to rapidly heat up
My phone (7+ fully updated) gets hot rapidly whenever I have this app open. If I open an article in a browser instead and kill the app, the phone heating goes away fairly quickly. I'm not watching video inside the app when this happens and I'm not streaming music or downloading any apps or uploading any data in the background. I can kill all other apps but this one and it still happens and it's just with the most recent update. This rapid phone heating isn't happening with any other app that I use.
Otherwise I use this app every day. I wish it wouldn't reload anytime I switch to a different app, even if it's just for a few seconds, I lose where I'm at reading an article or scrolling through sections. This drives me crazy, partly because I'm using this app frequently.
Looks like the iPad-only app has been discontinued
Revisions to my initial review:
As others reported, the app crashes a lot.
Also, off-line caching of articles is now unreliable. If you take the app on a plane and run it in airplane mode, it's not certain that you'll be able to read any given article.
The saved article list does not reliably sync between devices, or with the website.
Worst of all, the new app is now a battery hog. My 9.7" iPad Pro runs hot when I use the app, and the battery drains quickly.
This is unfortunate. Hopefully these problems will be corrected quickly.
It looks like the iPad-only app has been discontinued, although it would be good if the NYT gave users of the old app guidance on this.
In any case, as a longtime user of the iPad app, I'm encouraged by the improvements here. Videos seem to render where they didn't in the old app. Also, displayed articles seem to respect their graphic layouts in a way that the old iPad app didn't.
One problem: My complete saved articles list didn't transfer -- the oldest articles were left out.
My main concern is the completeness of coverage. I had the impression that the old iPhone app left out a lot of articles. The latest app doesn't seem to have this problem, though.
- Category: News
- Updated: Aug 09, 2017
- Version: 6.0.1
- Size: 94.8 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: The New York Times Company (iDP)
- © 2016, The New York Times Company
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- NYTimes.com + Smartphone App$14.99
- All Digital Access$34.99
- All Digital Access$34.99
- Digital Access$14.99
- Basic: Annual$129.99
- All Access$24.99
- Times Insider$44.99
- Digital Access - Annual Offer$119.99
- Digital Access - Annual Offer$119.99