NYTimes - Breaking Election, National & World News
By The New York Times Company
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Introducing the New York Times app for iPad.
Experience The Times’s in-depth journalism, elegantly designed with enhanced imagery and multimedia and streamlined navigation. The NYTimes app also includes our International Edition with global news and cultural content from our 50 bureaus around the world.
• Breaking news alerts: Get notified of major developing stories, and tailor alerts to topics of interest including business, politics and sports
• Morning briefings: Start your day with a tip sheet compiled by Times journalists
• Save articles to read later on any of your devices
• Today widget: Top headlines are always just a swipe away
• Pick up where you left off on another device with Handoff
• International edition: Global news and coverage from dozens of bureaus around the world
• Exclusive videos and award-winning photography
• Customize your list of favorite sections and blogs
The NYTimes app is free to download, and all users can access up to 10 free articles per month, from any section. Subscribers get full access to over 25 sections, plus unlimited access to NYTimes.com, with a Times Digital Subscription.
Subscribe now and your first week is free.*
• Digital Access - unlimited digital access anytime, anywhere, on any device for $14.99 per month or $119.99 per year (save up to $5 per month). Cancel anytime.
• Times Insider - unlimited digital access anytime, anywhere, on any device plus one complimentary digital subscription to share for $24.99 per month. Cancel anytime.
• Times Insider members also receive access to the Times Insider blog, TimesTalks videos, TBooks, special Times crosswords and Times Archives from 1851.
Your subscription will automatically renew each month or year, and your credit card will be charged through your iTunes account. You can turn off auto-renew at any time from your iTunes account settings.
Questions Concerns? Please contact us at email@example.com or (800) 591-9233. We respond to every inquiry.
* Promotional offers for new subscribers only. Not valid for Digital Access $119.99 per year subscription option. Smartphone and tablet apps are not supported on all devices. NYTimes.com + Smartphone Apps, NYTimes.com + Tablet Apps and Digital Access subscriptions do not include e-reader editions, Times Insider content, or The New York Times Crossword. Prices shown are in U.S. dollars. Other restrictions apply.
What's New in Version 3.17
We made some improvements under the hood.
Want to work for our team? Check out the About page in Settings.
As always, email us at iPad@nytimes.com with questions, complaints, or suggestions
Great app, a few bugs
The fact the new York Times comes out every day, with its wide range of in-depth stores, is a small miracle. The app makes it easy to read. No ink-stained fingers, no wrestling with the paper to fold it down to a manageable size (although rail and bus commuters into N.Y.C. always amaze me with this skill, like origami experts, so the unfurled broadsheet doesn't steal others' personal space). But there are some glitches. Trying to select a word from the app's stories in order to look it up often doesn't work because the cursor skitters down the page. Also, when I leave an open story on my screen to come back to later, the app closes it and goes back to the overview page. Additionally, I often want to see the print version's front page but it isn't made available. That's a shame, for so many reasons. But the biggest one deals with the actual NYT content. The instances of misspellings, poor grammar usage and other writing problems keep growing greater. This makes it increasingly more frustrating to read. Still, I couldn't do without the paper, need the significantly lower subscription price of the digital version and am grateful for the app.
All in all I like it, but...
For the most part I like The NY Times app but there are some parts of it that leave. Me frustrated. For example, if I want to check the definition of a word, normally I would place my finger on the words and would have a box pop up with a selection of choices including define. With this app if you hold you finger down for more than a second the page scrolls down incredibly fast, ending up well down the page.
The other issue I have is that every time I click on a special feature article I have to log onto the NY Times site each time, despite already being logged in!
Other than those two issues I like the app. It's easy to navigate, fairly easy to customize and easy to email, post on face book, and save articles of interest.
Wish the print edition were available
It would be great if the NY Times app made its print edition available, as it is with the Washington Post. Seeing the stories the editors chose to put on the front page helps in navigating through so much info.
The quality of the Times in general? It has been disheartening to see it writing standards steadily slip for the last several years, but perhaps that just reflects our society as a whole. While the Times used to be a bulwark against superficial trends, it now seems to reflect and promote them.
Still the paper performs an important service which is why I continue to support it.
- Category: News
- Updated: Oct 05, 2016
- Version: 3.17
- Size: 57.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: The New York Times Company (iDP)
- © 2016, The New York Times Company
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- NYTimes.com + Tablet App$19.99
- All Digital Access$34.99
- Digital Access$14.99
- Times Insider$44.99
- Basic: Annual$129.99
- Digital Access - Annual Offer$119.99
- Digital Access - Annual Offer$119.99
- Times Insider$24.99
- All Access$24.99