Observer Pro - Astronomy Planner
By Joshua Bury
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Observer Pro is a groundbreaking app for advanced astronomy planning. No more guessing when that galaxy emerges from behind that pesky tree. No more estimating how many hours you'll be able to image an object. Observer Pro gives every astronomer the info they need right at their fingertips!
What astronomers are saying:
"Every astronomer with an iPhone should own this app!"
- Astronomy Technology Today magazine
"Observer Pro is the most impressive astronomy app that I have tried out. I enthusiastically commend it to you!"
- Tom Mote, Professor Emeritus, Astronomy
"I have been using it since the day it first became available and I cannot live without it now."
- Sedat B., Cloudy Nights forum
• Over 14,000 deep sky objects included, all with closeup reference photos. No need to download anything after install! Advanced sorting and search make it easy to sift through all of them to find which objects belong on your observing list.
• Measure your local horizon in minutes with your iPhone.
• Unique charts completely take the guesswork out of predicting object visibility. Your house, trees, mountains, or any other obstructions are completely factored in to all visibility charts.
• New to astronomy? The Featured object list shows a list of objects specific to your location and local horizon that are great for observing right now.
• Keep a list of your favorite observing sites, each with their own local horizon. Compare object visibility between sites to find the best spot to setup your scope.
• There's a lot to observe! Observer Pro gives you a place to maintain a list of your favorite objects as well as an observing list that you can take with you to the eyepiece (red-screen night mode is included).
• 7Timer! astronomical weather forecasts for your observing sites are viewable without leaving Observer Pro. They give you the outlook on cloud cover, seeing, transparency, and more. (The weather screen can also be configured to show your favorite weather URL.)
• Simple and intuitive interface makes all these powerful features readily accessible. You don't need to be a Certified Astro Geek to use it!
• Check out the in-app tutorial (in Settings) to learn more about how to use the many features that come with Observer Pro.
Keep up-to-date with the latest news at the Observer Pro blog:
Purchase Observer Pro today! You won't know how you did astronomy without it!
What's New in Version 1.2
Observer Pro 1.2 includes the following improvements:
• The Featured list is now much more useful: your location, local horizon, and the current lunar phase are now used to provide a list of objects that are prime for observing.
• Added option to show an object's catalog name rather than common name when browsing lists.
• Correct moon image orientation for Southern Hemisphere sites.
• Fixed bug that made it impossible to leave the Observing List screen after rearranging items.
• Other bug fixes and other improvements.
If you like Observer Pro, please leave a review or update your review for this version. If you have feedback, I'd love to hear from you! Use the Feedback form in the app to get in touch.
Valuable astronomy observation planning app
The app is simple compared with many of the Windows observation planning applications, but it does exactly what I need. It provides an easy to use view of what objects are above my local horizon (it lets you easily produce a local horizon file using the iPhone camera) and also shows viewing conditions for the object taking into account daylight and moonlight. These last two capabilities are great and are things my windows observation planning apps cannot do.
Well worth the price for this app!