Octal is a modern, full-featured Hacker News (news.ycombinator.com) client built with an eye for design and usability. Octal has all the features you'd expect from a Hacker News app, including the ability to sign in to your Hacker News account and post comments!
• Browse, read, and share Hacker News submissions.
• Filter submissions by 'Top Stories', 'New Stories', 'Best Stories', 'Jobs', 'Ask HN', or 'Show HN'.
• Join the discussion. Sign in to your Hacker News account to post comments, upvote, and more!
• Browse articles and links with SafariViewController, which includes the optional reader mode.
• Browse comments in a fully-threaded comments view. You can tap or swipe to collapse a comment thread.
• Easily 'jump' to the next top-level comment thread with a single tap.
• Browse user profiles and posting activity.
• Enable 'Night Mode' for a beautiful, first-class dark theme.
• Enable 'Auto Night Mode' setting to automatically toggle 'Night Mode' on and off according to time of day.
• Enable 'Compact Mode' for a simpler browsing experience without thumbnails.
• Increase or decrease the text size to one that's comfortable for you.
• Both portrait and landscape orientations are supported.
Added new 'Auto Night Mode' setting to automatically toggle Night Mode on and off according to time of day.
Ratings and Reviews
I was having some issues with larger text sizes being out of place. Also, not sure if it’s intentional, but the scroll button on the bottom right jumps pretty unexpectedly. I would expect it to “go-to-bottom”, but it kind of does whatever it wants.
Seems like most issues, among others, were fixed – thank you, and best
Hi there - I'd love to hear what you think is missing from this app so I can improve. I just released version 2.0 which fixes a critical comment posting bug. Please e-mail me or create an issue via Github.
Edit: the 'scroll button' is used for jumping to the next 'top-level' comment thread.
I have used this app for a few months and very impressed with the amount of beautiful UX design updates and features. Everything aka logos, buttons, and features are thoughtfully created. Very appreciate whoever made this app and please keep up the good work 💪🏼
Room for improvement
Just purchased the app based on the reviews but unfortunately it's not quite there yet.
- no true black theme
- no automatic switching between light/dark mode
- can only see top stories, can't filter by Show HN, Ask HN, noob stories for example
- when looking at activity, clicking on your comment will link back to main article but without any what to upvote for example
I think with the improvements it can be one of the best apps for sure.
Hello! You can change stories from 'Top Stories' to 'New Stories', 'Best Stories', 'Show HN', 'Ask HN', and 'Jobs' by tapping the top left button. I invite you to try version 2.0!
I plan to add a true black theme and auto-switching between modes in the near future. Your feedback is highly appreciated.
- Daniel Wu
- 19.6 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2018 Daniel Wu
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.